BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Is it me or are tattoos more popular than ever?

When I was young (80's) tattoos were the realm of old men. Usually unremarkable in design, recognising events of the past. Now there's all sorts.

I don't have any but who on here does? Why did you get one? Who'd consider more?

" Is it me or are tattoos more popular than ever? "

I think they peaked in popularity about 10-15 years ago, you know, seeing Beckham wear them, stuff like that but they are still wildly popular. We have a tattoo parlour near us. I have no tattoos but they are fine with me "mostly", if tastefully done.

If people wish to wear a tattoo it’s their choice and I’ve no objection. I don’t for a moment understand why one would want to make such a permanent and almost irresponsible - auto text I meant irreversible but on reflection the auto text is possibly more accurate- change to one’s body. 

Very occasionally I see an attractive one but the majority which I notice, many just go unnoticed, make me ask “why?”

Two of my sons have thankfully discreet tattoos, both in their early 30s regret doing it. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

I’m sure in my sons’ case the tattoos were an act of rebellion. They both knew their parents to be 100% against this because it’s a permanent decision taken in youth and probably regretted in more mature years. 

Rebellion. Why? It seems to me it’s difficult for young people to shock their parents’ generation. As children of the 60s my wife and I have been there, done it, got the T shirt and probably helped with the book! I do believe the kids thought the tattoo was the shock attempt. In hindsight we should have never have asked them not get tattooed. 

Edited by Paul

I have one of a Goshawk (bird of prey) on my left calf and love it. Head and shoulders of the bird roughly three inches by five. 

Being a Rugby League fan, I have been used to seeing tattoos for years on League players, who generally adorned themselves with them before their football counterparts. I just like them.

May just get another on my right calf, perhaps a head and shoulders profile of an owl. Not decided yet. 

My son doesn’t have any whilst my daughter has about six, very discreet as you wouldn’t guess if you saw her out and about.

On 20/10/2017 at 08:34, Paul said:

I’m sure in my sons’ case the tattoos were an act of rebellion. They both knew their parents to be 100% against this because it’s a permanent decision taken in youth and probably regretted in more mature years. 

Rebellion. Why? It seems to me it’s difficult for young people to shock their parents’ generation. As children of the 60s my wife and I have been there, done it, got the T shirt and probably helped with the book! I do believe the kids thought the tattoo was the shock attempt. In hindsight we should have never have asked them not get tattooed. 

Deploy reverse psychology with children too late advice. it's not that much of a permanent decision these days with laser removal meant to be a costly exercise though, Tattoos are not my cup of tea don't see the appeal everyone's different of course.

• Backroom

I have no problem with tattoos but am a wimp and won't get one myself.

Personally don't see the fuss about them on professional people like teachers either tbh, but that's a whole other debate.

Depends on context ofc.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Personally don't see the fuss about them on professional people like teachers either tbh, but that's a whole other debate.

I think it’s a generation and possibly cultural thing. When tattoos first reappeared I would have thought it unusual for a professional person to wear a visible tattoo. I think I felt the same about piercings. I’d look twice.

I was, wrongly, making a judgement based on appearance something which in other circumstances I’m unlikely to do. Today I simply accept both without question or reaction. 

Edited by Paul

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think it’s a generation and possibly cultural thing. When tattoos first reappeared I would have thought it unusual for a professional person to wear a visible tattoo. I think I felt the same about piercings. I’d look twice.

I was, wrongly, making a judgement based on appearance something which in other circumstances I’m unlikely to do. Today I simply accept both without question or reaction. 

I'm impressed by the reaction (or lack of) there Paul :)

Personally I hated the idea of tattoos on professionals but when I did my PGCE, I came across a teacher in his 40s who has a tattooed ring under his wedding ring (for PE) and he used it as a talking point with his class.

I think once 'my' generation is in its 50s, tattoos will be as irrelevant to workplace capability judgements as skin colour is (or should be).

It comes down to personal preference and opinions of course and I have nothing against anyone with tattoos. That said, I do find them unattractive when done far too much. A small tattoo here or there looks good but when a girl is walking down the street and the whole of one of her legs is covered - definitely a turn-off for me.

I have always liked tattoos. I see them as a form of expressionism and, providing it's done tastefully, think they are a true art form. I resent that tattoo culture is often synonymous with gangs as it has put a real taboo on a form of art that requires great dedication and produces some real awe inspiring pieces.

I am 24 and I am booked in to get my right arm and chest done shortly. I will only get tattooed in places that I can cover up easily because of the shame culture that surrounds tattoos. I have even heard my boss look someone up on social media after they have handing in a CV completely dismiss someone purely because "she's covered in tattoos". These tattoos were on her arms and could have been covered. What made this more alarming is that her CV stood out head & shoulders above others.

However, and it may be because of this shame culture, I think that even if professional bodies didn't prejudice tattoos I still wouldn't get visible areas tattooed, ie: my neck & face. I think tattoos on hands look good and I probably would get them done if I felt I could still maintain a professional persona with them. I would feel awkward having my face done because, whilst I believe that tattoos add to your identity, I think permanently altering your face (the biggest part of your id) is a step too far. The same goes with the body modification wave that is sweeping the UK right now.

Some of the most caring, respectful and loving people I know are covered in tattoos. It's remarkable that in this age of acceptance and social progression people with tattoos are still viewed with such disdain by certain members of our society. 

On 23/10/2017 at 08:28, Mike E said:

I'm impressed by the reaction (or lack of) there Paul :)

Thank you. It is what I’d expect of myself which is why I wasn’t happy with my initial reaction when they first reappeared. When I was growing up tattoos presumed the wearer was at best dodgy and probably far worse. I don’t though feel that association exists today.

I do think some people have gone too far. I know one lad in his early 30s who has a pink swirling design across his torso, back and legs. Another who has a passage from some eastern literature tattooed across the back of his whole body. The first sentence begins on his left shoulder with the quotation running across and down his back, buttocks and right leg to the ankle. I also don’t get the ones where people do the entire arm with a heavy, intricate design - I don’t object but neither do I understand the desire.

What does make me smile is young people seem unaware of what time does to the skin. There’s going to be some interesting looking 60+ people wandering around in future. ??

On 19/10/2017 at 13:32, Leyland-Rover said:

I think they are still as popular as ever. I seem to see a lot of early twenties girls, like really attractive ladies, with tattoo's of go knows what on their legs. Really off putting, but each to their own. 

A woman who lives near by has just had one of those 'Sleeve Tattoos' done on one arm.They look bad enough on blokes but by Christ she looks like a Latvian Hooker now!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Obviuosly Tattoos have grown in popularity over the years. Every now and then you see someone with a tattoo on the road. And, mind you its not only youngsters who sport them but adults as well. I too have a tattoo on my neck which was inspired by none as I thought it would be a good idea to get it there...;)

• 11 months later...

This is hilarious.

The copyright on a tattoo belongs to the tattooist.

The guy who did Messi is sueing for payment for using his design in a FIFA football game. Apparently happening to NBA in the States also.

Advice to sports people is to take a licensing release legal agreement with you to the tattooist.

• 1 month later...