BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stick with Mogga

Boro fan in peace here. I've been taking a keen interest into Blackburn Rovers over the past 7/8 months since Mowbray was appointed and the amount of ex-boro players at the club. I've watched Rovers on numerous occasions both at Home and Away this season. You are in a similar position to Middlesbrough albeit a league below, Pre-season favourites, supposedly the strongest squad in the division, yet seemingly falling behind the top 2. Obviously there has been calls on here and in the boozers I've frequented for Mowbray's head, understanbly so. From what I've seen Mowbray has done a good job, given the heirachy imposed at your club and working under what appears to be difficult circumstances. Mowbray is regarded a hero on Teesside and is still a genuine legend of the club, when Mogga was appointed manager of the Boro he saved us from relegation to League 1 and turned us into genuine promotion challengers. After falling short for a couple of seasons he was rightly sacked and departed for Karanka. One thing about Mowbray that will frustrate you time and time again is his team selection. He worries far too much on what the opposition do rather than picking his best team to go out and win the game - I see this in his mysterious selections of Chapman - who should be recalled by the Boro in Jan....

My advice is this, stick with Mogga, im certain he will turn the draws into wins and the defeats into draws. He will turn it round and im positive you will be back in the Championship next season and im even more certain as we aren't going anywhere anytime soon with Garry Monk in charge. 

Brilliant to see Richie Smallwood getting the recognition he deserves, he was a solid player for Middlesbrough and worked his socks off everytime he pulled on the shirt of his beloved Boro. The kid has made a good career in football and what he lacks in ability he certainly makes up for in hard work. Why Boro loaned Chapman out and then spent £7m on Ashley Fletcher is beyond me, I know which player id rather have in my side every week...

Good luck for the rest of the season. I hope you find a chairman half the man of Stevie Gibson soon. See you next year.

Venkys Out.

I've linked below a Sunderland's fan view on your fall from the top - I think they are preparing for their own.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/grumpys-guide-to-championship-survival-part-2-blackburn-rovers.1392285/

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

That's a really good summary of his flaws.

Too often this season has he tried to be too clever and set up in a funny way to counteract the oppostion when if he just kept it simple and sent out his best team we would more likely have got a better result.

Some green shoots at weekend with Chapman finally being let loose to good effect and hopefully his hand will now be forced to promote a young lad scoring in the reserves up to the bench.

His subs have been at times negative and at other times baffling, similar to Gary Bowyer formerly of this parish who again if a game wasn't heading our way would struggle to change it in a positive way with subs. 

Theres not been outright calls for his head but after a couple of performances he would have had little to complain about had he fallen on his sword. Wimbledon at home was an abomination, we didn't even look like getting close to scoring it was just limp.

Hes going to be closely scrutinised because the fact is we were favourites for this league and has admitted himself that not getting promotion would be a massive failure on his part.

What does go in his favour (again like Gary Bowyer) is he comes across as very likeable and a decent man in times when integrity has been in short supply. 

Thanks for the post. I agree with a lot of what you say. I think if we were still in the Championship Mowbray would be afforded years by the fans to try and build something up, however in this division there can only be one expectation and the minute we seem to be losing touch with that Mowbray will get grief.

Difference with Middlesbrough is despite massive spending over the summer you have a Chairman with some sort of plan who will deal with losses and go again. You have time on your side for Monk to take 2-3 years to challenge. We don't because we've seen with Venkys before that if we miss out this season their likely response will be to cash in on everything they can and rebuild on an even smaller budget, and the decline will continue down the division.

I think if we believed Venkys would allow a few years to rebuild the club that Mowbray might be under less pressure, but even still with the squad at his disposal and resources used we should be up there this season.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Who the hell do you better than Chapman to be able to loan him to us? Whoever gets in the team ahead of him must be some hell of a player. Also, why has his contract been allowed to run down?

We signed a lad from Oxford Marvin Johnson - No better than Chapman

Adama Traore - Quickest player on earth, no final ball - No better than Chapman

Ashley Fletcher - West Ham, Man United, never made it at either and it looks like he will be a waste of £7m - No better than Chapman.

Patrick Bamford - More effective as a number 10 or 9 but played out wide often to accomadate other players.

Stewart Downing - Prefers to play as a number 10 but is easily our best option out wide as he has a footballing brain.

Im pretty sure Boro have a clause in his contract which they are likely to extend. I'll try find confirmation of this. Knowing Boro and how they do things it wouldn't suprise me if he left us in the summer on a free to a direct rival.....

Just now, Teesside Steel said:

Ashley Fletcher - West Ham, Man United, never made it at either and it looks like he will be a waste of £7m - No better than Chapman.

Patrick Bamford - More effective as a number 10 or 9 but played out wide often to accomadate other players.

Stewart Downing - Prefers to play as a number 10 but is easily our best option out wide as he has a footballing brain.

Im pretty sure Boro have a clause in his contract which they are likely to extend. I'll try find confirmation of this. Knowing Boro and how they do things it wouldn't suprise me if he left us in the summer on a free to a direct rival.....

No, Harry's ours now. :D:D

This may sound cold but Tony Mowbray will be judged on results and results only.

As for the coverage of our clubs ills.....what the hell took so long for the penny to drop with fans of other clubs?.Our protesting fans were lambasted,ridiculed and belittled by the media and fans of other clubs I painfully remember,support was in short supply when really needed.

Pfftt<_<

Just now, Teesside Steel said:

Some good players there to be fair. Chapman has been excellent since he came here but TM usually uses him as an impact sub when the opposition legs tire. Started him last game though and easily done more than enough to start regularly now.

Young talent like that, if you were to lose him for nothing that would be criminal (unless it were to us :) )

14 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

Don't be surprised to see Sunderland fall into League 1. Which will be celebrated on Teesside.

I wonder which agents and agencies are balls deep in Sunderland ?   

Seems terrible 'advice' has been in ready supply up there as well.

5 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Quite.People are still falling for the old "advice"chestnut!

Was it Seb Larsson who had a guaranteed 40k pwk deal from Steve Kean at Blackburn lined up according to Nixon until they got him in at Sunderland for a bit more ? 

Wonder who was on that one ? :blink:

4 hours ago, Teesside Steel said:

Great original post and welcome. I agree with most of that but you can't be serious when you say you would have him over adama traore. I like Chapman but he's not in the same league as that lad. From what I've seen of Fletcher (admittedly at United u23 level) he has more of a maturity about him than Chapman , however he was always played as the main striker when I saw him and put in some outstanding performances. Their is a player in their but I have never seen him play since moving to west ham and yourselves. Bamford out wide? That is a strange one 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Great original post and welcome. I agree with most of that but you can't be serious when you say you would have him over adama traore. I like Chapman but he's not in the same league as that lad. From what I've seen of Fletcher (admittedly at United u23 level) he has more of a maturity about him than Chapman , however he was always played as the main striker when I saw him and put in some outstanding performances. Their is a player in their but I have never seen him play since moving to west ham and yourselves. Bamford out wide? That is a strange one 

I'd swap Adama for Emnes.....

Seriously the guy missed the team bus last week, then comes on late on Saturday and smashes a lad in the penalty box resulting in a defeat. 

He's had two good performances in a Boro shirt.

Yes he can beat a man for pace but after that there isn't much upstairs.

9 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

I'd swap Adama for Emnes.....

Seriously the guy missed the team bus last week, then comes on late on Saturday and smashes a lad in the penalty box resulting in a defeat. 

He's had two good performances in a Boro shirt.

Yes he can beat a man for pace but after that there isn't much upstairs.

I didn't realise he had an attitude problem. Well I've only seen him live on TV once this season and he was outstanding but I bow to your superior knowledge as you see him all the time and we have had players who turn up for the sky cameras, emnes being one :D. Bit off topic but what's your perception of Jordan Rhodes time up thier ?

6 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Mowbray isn't for me he's quite simply not cut out for managing in the 21st centuary. Good OP tho!

That is plain silly.

His management career only started in the 21st Century and now covers 7 Clubs.

Have they all been wrong.

I am not a big fan of TM btw, too cautious and a bit scared.

Wigan is a huge test for his tactics and nerve.

My prediction is outrage from fans Saturday and I will tell you why. He won't start Chapman. Conway will be back in to make things more solid. 

It will all come down to the result then as to how much pressure Mowbray will again be under. A 1-0 win and its all gravy, a defeat and people will ask why did he bottle it and change a winning and free flowing team 

Archived