BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stick with Mogga

If you look at successful partnerships up front the best ones are were one player is happy moving towards the ball and the other is more happy moving away from the ball. When you have two strikers that were both happiest moving towards the ball as with Rhodes and Gestede you find the opposition back four defending ten yards further up the pitch.

Gestede and King would have made more sense in that respect.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two things that most teams hate playing against are pace and power. That was potentially what Gestede and King brought you. It would have also give you more options when breaking from defence.

Rhodes did bring goals but how many times did we witness Rhodes on the floor and no free kick on the half way line when we were penned in our own half? It is like watching Danny Graham now sad to say, bar his performances against Pompey and Wigan. This is where he someone he could lay the ball off who was running off him.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gestede and King would have great partnership for us and would have allow us to better chance of promotion than we did

What stopped a true promotion bid was the manager at the time and not Rhodes, Gestede or King or any combination.

Apart from a few stellar performances King was still a work in development in his time at Rovers, and also wanted out asap.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It was definitely the partnership of 2 20 goal strikers that prevented us.

Didnt say that just I think King and Gestede would have been much better partnership and both have different skills. King has Pace and Gestede is a target man. Rhodes and Gestede as partnership never really gel imo. 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt say that just I think King and Gestede would have been much better partnership and both have different skills. King has Pace and Gestede is a target man. Rhodes and Gestede as partnership never really gel imo. 

How does scoring as many goals as they did equate to not gelling?

In terms of the big man-little man combination on paper you have an argument Gestede & King would make a good partnership but, as it stood, Gestede & Rhodes were prolific together, irrespective of your idealistic front 2.

It certainly wasn't the case they never gelled nor would it have given us a better chance with King. What would have given us a better chance is defensive organisation and a solid keeper.

They were never a partnership. They were just two individualistic players playing up front in the same team. They didn't compliment each other in any real way. They very rarely combined to  set up a goal. Any goals that were made by one for the other were mostly accidental. 

I don't know how old you are but most  teams haven't really played with two out and out strikers for a good while now so maybe you aren't really familar with how they should play. I grew up with every team playing in this style and there were some great partnerships up front. Toshack and Keegan at Liverpool springs to mind as a good example. They had an almost telepathic understanding of what each player was going to do in any given situation. Gilzean and Greaves at Spurs were two more. I could name plenty of others.

Coming more up to date it pains me to say it but Vokes and Ings at the Dingles weren't bad either.

I've always thought Rhodes and King would've been the best partnership. If defenses pushed up to try to deny Rhodes the 18 yard box, due his lack of pace, then they would leave space behind for King to run into, which he's proven in the PL he excels at. If they sat back to deny King room to run into, then it means Rhodes can hang around the box and he's deadly in there.

It would've all hung on not lumping high balls into the box and playing it more on the ground though, so I can see why it was rarely tested properly. If you need an outlet to smash it to or chuck head height balls into the box, then Gestede's your man. But there was noone else in the Championship, at that time, you would want in the box, on the end of a Gestede knock down than Rhodes.

Do you know what, the key words regarding continued success to many footballer is personal desire. 

Most are generally uneducated, don't benefit from the best upbringing, guided by parasitic 'agents' and given untold wealth, comparative to their upbringing, without really having achieved anything.

Where's the motivation for many to kick on when you're on half a million quid a year when you've done nowt and have agents pecking your head continually and even if you're crap at your job, you get your contract paid out anyway and move on.

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Do you know what, the key words regarding continued success to many footballer is personal desire. 

Most are generally uneducated, don't benefit from the best upbringing, guided by parasitic 'agents' and given untold wealth, comparative to their upbringing, without really having achieved anything.

Where's the motivation for many to kick on when you're on half a million quid a year when you've done nowt and have agents pecking your head continually and even if you're crap at your job, you get your contract paid out anyway and move on.

That's the problem in a nut shell. In days gone by players would leave school at 15 or 16 and get a job. Ok they'd be picked up at 17 or 18 by clubs but at least they knew what getting up at 7.00 am to go to work meant and how much better being a pro player was than actually working for a living. Now they go straight from school to a club and not many have a real work ethic. Things come easy for them and when the going gets tough they're snookered.

On 11/1/2017 at 18:54, Teesside Steel said:

Nope. Can't believe your slagging him given what he did for your club.

I agree with most of your comments and also have to admit that the feel good factor around Blackburn Rovers FC has kind of disappeared due to the ownership. Not only has it divided fans but it also has created a sense of urgency so that we don't rely on the decision makers in India who are horrendous. I do believe Mogga should be given a chance he has a 42% win rate, he will probably get us the play offs at a minimum but I believe we need to make our lives easier with the players we have we should be walking the league. He understands what needs to be done but over complicates things regularly. I am not advocating for him to get sack though as I want to see us with a plan working towards a goal and Mowbray has at least established that especially with settling the squad by handing out contracts and so forth. His recruitment has been hit and miss but I am delighted with the likes of Chapman, Dack, Samuel started well but drifted off recently but overall I just feel he needs to kick on a little now rather than saying the same thing week in week out. 

With regards to Jordan Rhodes it is a little bit of a touchy subject here as some will forever love him (like myself) and thankful for his service and the cash we got for him while others will see him as a traitor. The overall feedback on him is that he is a fantastic finisher and his goal kept us up and well placed consistently but Rovers fans moaned regularly that he offered little else (Which I always found a little weird, because if he is scoring goal who the hell cares!!!). 

Archived