BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dyche

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/10/2017 at 09:43, JHRover said:

Look at it from the POV of Leicester/Everton. Neither are short of a few quid. Both can have their pick of quality proven managers. Leicester have been linked with Mancini/Pellegrini so that is the department they are shopping in.

Regardless of how well Dyche has done, he just isn't an attractive appointment for these clubs. He isn't even on the same level as Eddie Howe who at least has a reputation for delivering decent easy on the eye football. Dyche has a way of working and it has worked very well at Burnley.

Leicester are now being heavily linked with Claude Puel formerly of Southampton. On the surface quite an odd appointment, but look beyond his season at Southampton and actually it arguably makes as much if not more sense than Dyche. Puel is more used to a European style coaching structure with a D of F and working with existing staff, whereas Dyche is used to running the show on his own and working with his own staff. Puel has contacts across Europe, particularly in France where he has managed for a long time successfully and will be able to tap into that knowledge and those contacts. What contacts does Dyche have? The furthest he goes for signings is Leeds and Hull. Whilst results have been good, nobody is telling me he has delivered good value on his transfer business when you look at some of the staggering fees he's shelled out on players in the last couple of windows. Granted Burnley have recouped a lot through sales and have survived so it makes it worthwhile, but man for man I don't think Dyche has spent too wisely.

People like Puel, Mancini etc. have managed in multiple countries at clubs with high expectations and won trophies. Dyche has managed at one club with low expectations where he has had free reign which a lot of clubs aren't willing to allow any more.

Shame yes, because the sooner he is out of Burnley the better, but in this day and age of head coaches and foreigners not many top clubs are going to throw their lot in with the Burnley manager who does things the old fashioned way. It just isn't attractive any more.

The best chance we had of him going was when they got relegated and the likes of Derby were looking for new managers.

Winning football isn't attractive? Don't recall many complaints from Chelsea under Jose - or when they won the CL with about 20% possesion etc

On 25/10/2017 at 12:37, JHRover said:

I don't even think he's at that level really. Big Sam could get 3,4,5 Premier League offers this season and have any of them if he really wanted to work again. I don't think for one minute Dyche will have that amount of clubs interested in his services.

He wouldn't be at Burnley today if he'd had clubs knocking on the door to appoint him. Forget all this stuff about him having it his way at Burnley with the staff/scouting/training ground - he'd give all that up if it meant he could get a job at a bigger club with more money and more potential. Reading his comments he's clearly keen for these clubs to come in for him - but other than Sunderland a couple of years ago it appears nobody has put in any firm interest.

Frustrating because when we had Hughes every season he was getting linked with moves away and then eventually got the Man City offer. I'd argue the job Dyche has done with them has been just as good if not better than the one Hughes did here yet nobody, not even the smaller Premier League clubs, seem interested in him.

I've seen many mentions of Hughes as some sort of messiah - whats he actually achieved since he left you? Ended up at Stoke to 'improve the way they play' - not sure he has but I am sure their league position isn't significantly better than under Pulis.

On 25/10/2017 at 16:10, darrenrover said:

The Dingles (spit) should be applauded in fairness. Their management and club stewardship in general, without serious external financial input, have worked wonders and reaped serious financial dividends in the process.

As I said several years ago, Venkys 'backed' the 'wrong' club!

Thank you.

On 26/10/2017 at 00:18, meadows said:

Just a wild stab but the reason he is still there might just be that he’s happy there, appreciated by fans and supporters, adequately remunerated and unlike many of his profession seems bright enough to realise the grass isn’t always greener  elsewhere  

it’s obviously occupying many Rovers’ fans thoughts though given the number of posts and people commenting on here  

He's ambitious - he's still with us not because he hasn't had interest but because he hasn't had the right offers. Given the right offer he'll go, would be odd for him not to really. But so far he has been happy at Burnley, he's done well for us and us for him.

On 26/10/2017 at 11:48, 47er said:

Sooner or later Dyche won't be able to resist the challenge if a "big club" comes calling. Its the human condition.

I do feel some are belittling his achievements because he's done it at Burnley.

Bit unfair that but understandable!

Spot on - the right challenge and he will go, as would any manager.

Now calm down lads, he's gone nowhere yet. Would he go to Everton? IMO he'd go in a heart beat, possibly the biggest English club job outside the top 6. Will they come in for him? I just can't see it, I feel their owner wants the big shiny foreign manager, a mancini etc. For me I obviously hope we can keep hold of him for a long time but reality is he will go sooner or later - when he does he will leave with my thanks, the promotions, the development of the club etc etc - in 5 years he's dragged us forward 20 in terms of infrastructure from where we were at - he's broke the 34 years thing and helped build a 7 years one of our own and really put us into a position to compete on a level playing field with many of our peers. 

44 minutes ago, meadows said:

I’d suggest that there’s been very little written and minimal TV heralding of his “achievements” so far as he has thus far this season piloted Burnley into positions In the league they haven’t been near in 40 odd years. In previous PL campaigns they haven’t troubled half way spots 

Anything below that is generally beyond the day-to-day concern of Sky and the dailies/Sunday’s unless they chalk up odd victories against the big boys or until the title is sewn up and they turn to hype “Survival Sunday”

If folks are making bonkers stuff up about him on the internet without a smidgen of evidence other than “it’s not impossible that....” “it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that....” and “if I didn’t know better.....but go on, I’ll trot out my baseless and impossible-to-take-seriously imaginings anyway” I don’t think I’d blame him if he alerted the authorities before going in a Clitheroe pub. 

As I pointed out earlier, there are examples of managers and players using the media to their advantage. Whether that's to get back into work, get a transfer or even get themselves improved terms at their current clubs. Why do you think Dyche is above/beyond all that kind of thing?

I don't know what is so bonkers about suggesting Dyche and his representatives might be up to something similar in the face of potential or real Everton interest. It might help get him a move to a bigger and richer club, but if it doesn't it is good publicity for him whilst possibly landing him an improved deal where he is.

If Dyche fancies the Everton job, which I'm absolutely certain he does given the comments he has made in the press and the attractiveness of Everton compared to Burnley, then he will want to make sure Everton are aware of that.

If you prefer to believe that he is some rare breed of ultra-loyal manager who doesn't have agents working on his behalf and is quite happy living the rest of his days working miracles at a club like Burnley and wouldn't throw his hat into the ring for a bigger and better job than he has at the moment then ok, but I am leaning the other way - he'd love a move to a club like Leicester and Everton and likely has people on his side working to try and make that happen.

43 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Winning football isn't attractive? Don't recall many complaints from Chelsea under Jose - or when they won the CL with about 20% possesion etc

Yes it is. I'll hold my hands up, I'd take any style of play to occupy Burnley's position at present.

My point is that some clubs i.e. Newcastle, West Ham, Everton - the sort who might be interested in Dyche - have large expectant support bases who might tolerate defensive football whilst they are winning, but the moment they stop winning those supporters will grow restless.

I don't care what anyone says, there are countless stats that suggest Dyche's brand of football at Burnley is at the less attractive end of the scale. For a club like Burnley in the Premier League or winning the Championship that is fine, as it would be for Rovers, Bolton, or any club that wins and gets results.

We had it at Rovers with Allardyce that fans were moaning like mad about his approach and style. Most people realised that it was worth putting up with because he delivered the results. But there was an element restless about it. Multiply that many times over for Everton/Newcastle etc. for fanbases with continued delusions of grandeur and many would quickly grow restless with negative football if it didn't translate into successful results. Like when Allardyce got the boot at Newcastle after 6 months despite being sat in mid-table and started getting grief at West Ham once he'd delivered his remit of promotion and survival - they want and expect more - rightly or wrongly - and plodding along mid table with unattractive style will lead to trouble at those clubs.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes it is. I'll hold my hands up, I'd take any style of play to occupy Burnley's position at present.

My point is that some clubs i.e. Newcastle, West Ham, Everton - the sort who might be interested in Dyche - have large expectant support bases who might tolerate defensive football whilst they are winning, but the moment they stop winning those supporters will grow restless.

I don't care what anyone says, there are countless stats that suggest Dyche's brand of football at Burnley is at the less attractive end of the scale. For a club like Burnley in the Premier League or winning the Championship that is fine, as it would be for Rovers, Bolton, or any club that wins and gets results.

We had it at Rovers with Allardyce that fans were moaning like mad about his approach and style. Most people realised that it was worth putting up with because he delivered the results. But there was an element restless about it. Multiply that many times over for Everton/Newcastle etc. for fanbases with continued delusions of grandeur and many would quickly grow restless with negative football if it didn't translate into successful results. Like when Allardyce got the boot at Newcastle after 6 months despite being sat in mid-table and started getting grief at West Ham once he'd delivered his remit of promotion and survival - they want and expect more - rightly or wrongly - and plodding along mid table with unattractive style will lead to trouble at those clubs.

Good summary. Those fans should have a good look at themselves. As ours how complained about Alllardyce should have. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

With Allardyce the truth is that much of the football was a hoofball yawn!

.That first season, I had no reservations because we had to stay up. Later, it was abundantly clear that the owners were disinvesting and Sam wasn't getting much backing in the transfer market.

However, in some of those away matches, it was clear that he was merely fulfilling the fixture. Arsenal away and Liverpool away spring to mind. However, most of my mates felt he deserved a chance with the new owners and investment!!!

When SEM/Kentaro sacked him, I began to seriously worry...we know the rest.

I am the last person to defend anything done by the Venky's and partners. Let's have it right, though. We can't deny that Sam's hoofball was s***t. But that doesn't mean for one moment  that any of our supporters deserved the disgusting decisions made by Anderson, Huber, Kean...and the crooked Indians.

Don't blame the supporters. Crooked Indians and agents OUT!

21 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

With Allardyce the truth is that much of the football was a hoofball yawn!

.That first season, I had no reservations because we had to stay up. Later, it was abundantly clear that the owners were disinvesting and Sam wasn't getting much backing in the transfer market.

However, in some of those away matches, it was clear that he was merely fulfilling the fixture. Arsenal away and Liverpool away spring to mind. However, most of my mates felt he deserved a chance with the new owners and investment!!!

When SEM/Kentaro sacked him, I began to seriously worry...we know the rest.

I am the last person to defend anything done by the Venky's and partners. Let's have it right, though. We can't deny that Sam's hoofball was s***t. But that doesn't mean for one moment  that any of our supporters deserved the disgusting decisions made by Anderson, Huber, Kean...and the crooked Indians.

Don't blame the supporters. Crooked Indians and agents OUT!

add to that the totally ineffective FA old boys and crooked brigade and I wholeheartedly agree.

Sadly they've all too much clout and it's highly unlikely the FBI are going to 'out them' as they did with FIFA.

Too many collective snouts in the trough. 

I just wish they'd all just bugger off and let us get on with life.

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

His odds on being the next Everton manager, have dropped dramatically in the last hour.

Before the infestation, Rovers were very successful in their choice of managers.

Furphy, Lee, Smith and Kendall were all poached by top flight clubs.

When I worked in Burnley, I remember how gutted they were at Coyle's betrayal.( That seems weird now to both sets of supporters!) They had never experienced that before.

Dyche has stayed with Burnley for longer than any manager I can remember staying with Rovers-with the possible exception of Saxton.

To keep a successful manager for five years is a significant achievement for a small town club...and he may not even go now!

If it was down to me, Dyche would be appointed as Everton manager tomorrow.  I think the guy is smart enough to evolve his playing style with better players and better resources.

A friend of mine who is a big Evertonian and spends a bob or two on hospitality there and is privy to the 'chit chat' reckons the owner strongly wants to appoint a foreign manager.  For what it's worth, Mancini figured highly but the ready availability of Tuchel might win the day.  If this happens, would be no surprise to see exits for Walsh and Kenwright.

• 2 months later...

Archived