BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dyche

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gumboots said:

They supposedly wanted a foreign manager to help attract foreign players because theyre cheaper than british players of the same standard. However they dont seem to have realised that it has to be a decent and respected foreign manager and to have gone for a not very good one

Bit harsh really. He's had one season in English football and led Southampton to 8th and the League Cup final. Koeman and Poch did similar and were hailed as masters. 

When you compare someone like Puel to Dyche its quite obvious why the ginger one didn't really get a look in. Of course its bad for English football and the development of English managers. Puel has contacts all over France, has managed Monaco and Lyon, managed in the Champions League and Europa League, won various trophies and is prepared to work with the existing staff and structure.

Dyche has managed Burnley and briefly Watford. Had a good start to the season. Won nothing. 2-3 seasons as a top flight manager, abysmal style of play, functional and effective but not the sort of resume that will get ambitious clubs queuing up. 

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very strange appointment

Really?

Took over from Koeman, Southampton do their usual summer sale of leading players and he then keep them in PL's top 8 and leads them to a Cup Final.

A cracking job if you ask me.

Leicester will be fine under Puel.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Really?

Took over from Koeman, Southampton do their usual summer sale of leading players and he then keep them in PL's top 8 and leads them to a Cup Final.

A cracking job if you ask me.

Leicester will be fine under Puel.

Yeah really. 

Very weird appointment. 

Southampton hated him and his football was dull and boring. Listen to Matt Le Tisser's interview on talksport. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah really. 

Very weird appointment. 

Southampton hated him and his football was dull and boring. Listen to Matt Le Tisser's interview on talksport. 

Wish Rovers were dull and boring and in top 8 of PL.  Big Sam was castigated by some on here as dull and boring.  Oh for those halcyon days.

Le Tiss scored some brilliant goals but is either afraid or incapable of putting his managerial/coaching skills to the test.

25 minutes ago, meadows said:

Hasn’t he won the Championship? 

I'm talking major honors - Championship/League One/League Two/Play offs aren't in the same category IMO.  

A lot condemning the Puel appointment as a 'lack of ambition' from Leicester overlooking that it isn't that long since he was taking Lyon to the Champions League Semis and Southampton should have won the League Cup vs United last season.

Perhaps Dyche should go abroad and be successful in Europe if he wants bigger jobs because I can't see him ever getting them no matter how well he does down the road.

Easy to say that British managers are being overlooked for foreign ones but who knows which English managers even applied for the Leicester job? If Dyche and Howe (can't think of any other English managers who'd be worth a punt, assuming Big Sam has retired) weren't interested or couldn't be prised away from their clubs mid-season then you'd have no choice but to go foreign.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah really. 

Very weird appointment. 

Dyche's football is dull and boring yet he's a genius according to some on here. 

Puel is available, no compensation, will work with Appleton, work with a D of F, has experience of managing big clubs, has won major trophies, has contacts all over Europe - I might be biased but I'm struggling to see why any Chairman would shell out millions in compo for someone like Dyche when better qualified candidates are available.

Just now, meadows said:

If somebody was able to promise me that this or a subsequent Rovers manager would land us a Championship title in the next five years I’d be putting the bunting out

As for their style of football is it any easier on the eye than us under Sam? Perhaps their fans are best to ask about that, and would probably currently be as happy as we were with Allardyce’s style

I thought their victory at Everton was a top class Premier League away performance and win

I'm trying to look at things from Leicester's perspective. In Rovers situation the Championship title and dull football in the Premier League would be welcomed, but at Leicester at this moment in time maybe not. They won the Prem 2 years ago so going after a manager whose biggest career achievement was winning the 2nd division with Burnley isn't going to get any pulses racing. 

Burnley fans are probably more than happy with what they see on a Saturday. I was more than happy with Allardyce, but if I was a man pouring hundreds of millions into Leicester having been in the Champions League last season I might demand a bit more in return for my money.

There's a reason he's still at Burnley after 5 years and I'll bet it isn't because he's rejected clubs on a regular basis. They aren't queuing up for a reason.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Dyche's football is dull and boring yet he's a genius according to some on here. 

Puel is available, no compensation, will work with Appleton, work with a D of F, has experience of managing big clubs, has won major trophies, has contacts all over Europe - I might be biased but I'm struggling to see why any Chairman would shell out millions in compo for someone like Dyche when better qualified candidates are available.

He won 1 league title and 1 cup in France. Hardly outstanding is it. 

Is Puel any better than Dyche? No in my opinion. Dyche is doing a good job there. 

Whoever signed the players for Leicester or recommend them need sacking. Vastly overspend. 

Is Puel's style going to suit Leicester and their players? Not sure. Will he get the best out of Leicester 4 best attacking players(Vardy, Mahraz, Gray and Albrighton) not sure.

Contacts over all Europe? Really?

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Dyche: Dull, boring and successful ..... changes the view lot

I would rather manage Burnley than Leicester but jump at Everton

Some fans aren't bored if the manager tries entertaining football or not, they don't give a flying fudge in a rolling doughnut. Tony pulis has been doing it for years playing the anti Barcelona way as long as it keeps you in the division most don't give a monkeys. 

9 hours ago, meadows said:

Just a wild stab but the reason he is still there might just be that he’s happy there, appreciated by fans and supporters, adequately remunerated and unlike many of his profession seems bright enough to realise the grass isn’t always greener  elsewhere  

it’s obviously occupying many Rovers’ fans thoughts though given the number of posts and people commenting on here  

Couldn't agree more.  It seems to me that Dyche is a very sensible guy and happy to stay where he is.  In many ways he has the perfect job and is probably as safe as any manager in terms of being unlikely to be sacked.  He makes the most of limited resources and by keeping Burnley in the Premier League is ensuring their long term future.  It's the sort of job that Sam did so well at Bolton and with ourselves.  

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He won 1 league title and 1 cup in France. Hardly outstanding is it. 

Is Puel any better than Dyche? No in my opinion. Dyche is doing a good job there. 

Whoever signed the players for Leicester or recommend them need sacking. Vastly overspend. 

Is Puel's style going to suit Leicester and their players? Not sure. Will he get the best out of Leicester 4 best attacking players(Vardy, Mahraz, Gray and Albrighton) not sure.

Contacts over all Europe? Really?

Puel's CV is better than Dyches. I can't see how anyone can dispute that. He's managed big clubs for the last 20 years, won trophies, managed in European competitions. Dyche has got Burnley promoted and kept them up deploying tactics that most people don't enjoy watching.

He managed at the top of the French league for 15 years+ with Monaco, Lyon, Nice and Lille. He's a disciple of Arsene Wenger. Knowing people like that at those sort of clubs opens doors to quality players in a cheaper market to do business in. A market Leicester clearly want to exploit as Mahrez and Kante have shown.

Dyche has spent £15 million on Chris Wood, £8 million on Jack Cork, £5 million on Wells, £14 million on Brady, £10 million on Jeff Hendrick. Some will say that's good business because it kept them up and they sold some to cover the cost but I refuse to agree that many of those signings are individually good value and I'd be surprised if they made a profit on any of them.

If you were running Leicester and had £50 million to spend would you want to hand it to a manager who seems to be limited to the Championship for his signings? Or back a well connected manager to unearth some more gems like Kante and Mahrez? Loads of class players knocking about in France available for much better prices than what Dyche has been spending.

Sooner or later Dyche won't be able to resist the challenge if a "big club" comes calling. Its the human condition.

I do feel some are belittling his achievements because he's done it at Burnley.

Bit unfair that but understandable!

11 hours ago, meadows said:

Just a wild stab but the reason he is still there might just be that he’s happy there, appreciated by fans and supporters, adequately remunerated and unlike many of his profession seems bright enough to realise the grass isn’t always greener  elsewhere  

it’s obviously occupying many Rovers’ fans thoughts though given the number of posts and people commenting on here  

I don't think anyone but Dyche really knows the truth on that one.

I'd say he's very unusual indeed in today's world if he's happy to reject advances from bigger and richer clubs at his age and career stage to remain at Burnley. If he really is the quality manager many claim he is then he'd be looking at ways to move up the ladder given the job he has done just like Hughes once did here.

It is my belief that he'd actually love to move to a club with more potential and resources than Burnley but that no such offers have been forthcoming. Palace went for De Boer, Leicester for Puel, Southampton always go foreign, Newcastle got Benitez, he won't get the Everton job because they'll want a bigger name.

Of course that's a sad reflection of the state of English football and the difficulties English managers face in getting the better jobs.

I had it on very good authority that in 2015 he verbally agreed to take over at Sunderland and was in the process of assembling his backroom staff when the U turn from Advocaat happened and the rest is history. Likewise he could easily have announced no interest in the Leicester job when questioned but refused to do that.

I suppose its a matter of opinion. On the one hand he's this loyal man who doesn't want to risk going elsewhere and the grass not being greener, the alternative is he's just not considered to be that good an option. Plenty of English managers around who have got teams promoted and kept teams up who can't get decent jobs - Pardew, Curbishley etc. Sadly its seen as backwards to appoint old school English managers, especially those accustomed to having everything their own way.

5 minutes ago, meadows said:

Still, four pages and 96 replies in (twice as many as the Wigan preview has) its good to know that ’they’re still obsessed with us’ 

I would say they are still obsessed, suprisingly so when you consider the vast chasm that has opened up between us, though I suppose their biterness was all consuming through the 90s and 00s, so old habits die hard.

However, many of our fans have now become exactly like they were in those days, even as far as replicating the pathetic looking spectacle of the lone fan invading the pitch...

31 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

On what basis?

He has turned a sh1tty yoyo club into a solid Premiership team(actually probably couldn't even describe them as yoyo, as they were mostly outside the top flight). He does more than most managers with regards to structures in the club. They have loads of money , a fraction of which is being spent on the squad. The owners surely realise that him leaving could end up going very badly for them long term. 

I wouldn't say a discussion regarding a manager and his potential move makes us "obsessed" with them by any means. It's the first time in my memory a topic remotely relating to Burnley has come up on here in a long while.

I'd say a football messageboard is as good as any to discuss the potential moves of a manager local to us. 

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Sooner or later Dyche won't be able to resist the challenge if a "big club" comes calling. Its the human condition.

I do feel some are belittling his achievements because he's done it at Burnley.

Bit unfair that but understandable!

Thst's just it, no big club is going to come calling.

Archived