BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

Wigan is home to the Wigan kebab, the pier, some weird metal face, Steven Reid's thunderbolt and the Verve. Two of them things are life defining, the other three are quite frankly unremarkable. I'll let you make your mind up on which is which.

At the start of the season this game would no doubt be spoke about as the battle of the big two. The winner of these two fixtures, home and away, would almost certainly go on to win the league. However, as we know all too much, things don't always go as planned in football. We find ourselves making the short journey down the M6 12 points adrift of the leagues pace setters, who themselves are 2 points behind league leaders Shrewsbury. Make no mistake that this is a season defining game. A win away at Wigan will almost certainly lay ease to fans' concerns about the capability of this squad to achieve what is expected of them: promotion. Fail on Saturday and we will find ourselves 15 points behind the 'town that should stick to rugby' and an automatic promotion spot. It would leave us with a climb that is almost insurmountable. Never before has so much depended on one game.....or has it?

Let's go back in History: rewind back to the 'dark days'. 7th May 2012. A must win game for Rovers and we find ourselves at home to Wigan. All that stands in our way is Franco Di Santo, Roberto Martinez, Steve Kean and this Paraguayan lad called Alcaraz. The terraces reigned fire down on the con man that took refuge in our dug out, "there's only one Jack Walker" rang louder than it has done for years and there was a chicken on the pitch. I sat in wonder; wondering how they'd got the chicken in; wondering how we found ourselves in this position; wondering if there really was another Jack Walker and whether he'd come riding in on a white horse at some point. "It was meant to be Beckham & Maradonna, not Modeste and Kean". Nevertheless that Paraguayan lad, famous for his spitting, put a bullet of a header into our net around the 90th minute. Cue pandemonium. The fate of Rovers was sealed. The downfall began.

How apt that here we stand 5 and a bit years from what I thought would be the darkest day of our modern history, with the challenge ahead of us of beating a red hot Wigan team. Will Grigg's on fire, Nick Powell is scoring for fun & Dave Whelan once broke his leg. In a fixture that put us down we now have the opportunity to revive our season and show the nation, or at least those who watch Channel 5 at 6pm on a Saturday, that Blackburn Rovers aren't here to bolster League one away attendances but here to win the league.

We've got rid of the deadwood and replaced them with Smallwood: the new King of Ewood and long live the King. This Time we have a starman on the wing and a Dack in attack, who if allowed the Space and Time can hurt even the most disciplined of defences. We have Charlie at the back, a true Northern Soul, who with Downing forms an impenetrable wall of steel. Raya is a superstar, as agile as a cat and quick enough to Catch any Butterfly. The last time Wigan played us in a game that meant so much we had Lowe in the middle, an aging Dunn and the bloke that is in the centre of the worst defence in the Premier League (Scott's his name I think?). We've grown from then, we've been through the worst a club can go through and we stand here still, with 3+thousand ready to march on Greater Manchester, more ready than ever to stamp our authority on this league. Mistakes have been made, and will continue to be made, but Saturday really is our redemption. I always said that One Day we'll have our chance of redemption, make them regret the 7th May and make a noise that will never be repeated in the hollow, Rugby stadium they call home. 

Let's hope that our so-far fantastic away support (+ Dave Whelan as he's once a Rover, always a Rover) can spur on a great result. A volley like Reid's wouldn't go amiss, a real "I was there" moment and I actually was. The ball was heading right for me, although I'm sure it felt that way for everybody in the ground that day, and would have almost certainly knocked my teeth out had the net not been there. Not that it would have minded me much as I would have been a Lucky Man to have been hit with such a shot. Thank you Steven.

Win and the 29th October could well be a Velvet Morning for Tony Mowbray. Lose and you are left a Weeping Willow, the Stormy Clouds are on the horizon and your time here will truly be a Bittersweet Symphony. It's do or die for Mogga - a fan favourite but this is a results based game. The whole of Blackburn wants Tony to succeed, the first time I have been able to say that about a manager since Big Sam (maybe even since Hughes, a debate to be had another time) and the support has been reflective of that. It's now time for our squad to reflect this promise on the pitch.

Tony Mowbray's Blue & White Army. There's only one Jack Walker. Venkys Out.

• J*B pinned this topic
  • Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Garage Flower said:

Could have shoehorned “Slide Away” in there. Enjoyed the preview! 

I know. I read it back and saw about 5 places I could have. 

Truth is it was an after thought. The other half said to do it midway through writing it (it was actually her who reminded me they came from there!!) and I just kinda threw it all in. Rookie error. Thanks anyway 

Wigan 3   Rovers 1

A real tough game at our bogey ground and in some ways a defeat shouldn't be met with hysteria as long as the performance is decent but having made a rod for their own backs with indifferent form, team selections and approach to games i'm expecting meltdown again this weekend :o

Would be a real statement if we went there and won though.

Verve and Steven Reids thunderbolt are the life-defining. Go to youtube and watch any video of the worlds hardest goals and you will always see that one there. Surprised the net held out and the goal didnt fall over.

Great preview - really enjoyed it.

i would almost certainly say its a must win game. We are 12 points behind, yes 2 games in hand but this start to the season doesnt give me confidence we will go on a big run, plus wigan need to drop points. The top 2 are running with it atm, if we finished in the play offs it doesnt really matter where we end up between 3rd - 6th, so I think we can afford to lose if we do give it a go. A draw doesnt help us in terms of trying to catch them. In this league I think you can go into every game trying to win it home or away. We should be going for win at all costs imo.

A win here would be season defining. A loss would be a short term disaster, but not insurmountable. 

I picture frustrated fans before the game as Mowbray brings Conway in for Chapman to tighten things up as he attempts to grind out a 0-1.

The result then will be all that matters

Come on Rovers   

We need to win on Saturday and as such Mowbray should set his stall out to attack Wigan from the off. I agree with Bigdog's appraisal though and fully expect to be disappointed on Saturday. 

When will Mowbray learn that his cautious approach and constant tinkering has already yielded 4 defeats.

Why change a winning team that looked balanced and gave the best performance of the season?

I'll be peed off if we see another 'Oldham' performance and get 'Wiganed' yet again!

37 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

We need to win on Saturday and as such Mowbray should set his stall out to attack Wigan from the off. I agree with Bigdog's appraisal though and fully expect to be disappointed on Saturday. 

When will Mowbray learn that his cautious approach and constant tinkering has already yielded 4 defeats.

Why change a winning team that looked balanced and gave the best performance of the season?

I'll be peed off if we see another 'Oldham' performance and get 'Wiganed' yet again!

I agree, although ,playing Devils advocate, his approach has worked in some tricky away ties. It's at home the conservative approach needs to stop 

Momentum wise, win ,lose or draw, I think this game is a time to keep the same 11 as the last day. We need to threaten Wigan. They have more quality than any team we have played to date. Attempting to scrape a win or a draw, will end badly, as they will punish us. No point bringing Chapman on when we are behind. The Wigan players, simply, will not want to face Chapman and Dack. 

You could see that having Dack & Chapman on the pitch frightens defences because they can't double up on either of them. It's no point bringing on Chapman with 20 minutes to go and taking Dack off. It's just letting them replace their marking from Dack to him. Together they represent a real danger because they each have the ability to beat 2 men and pick a pass out. Defenders won't know who to mark.

If we can see it, Tony must be able too. You are much better bringing on Conway when we are 2-0 up as he'll give you that bit more rigidity: an experienced football brain who will know the benefits of a sideways pass over trying to beat 3 men when holding a lead.

Start with the youthful exuberance, flair and creativity and see the game out with the wise, shrewd older heads. If we can get Chapman & Dack to play with freedom week in week out we can hurt any team in this league.

35 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You could see that having Dack & Chapman on the pitch frightens defences because they can't double up on either of them. It's no point bringing on Chapman with 20 minutes to go and taking Dack off. It's just letting them replace their marking from Dack to him. Together they represent a real danger because they each have the ability to beat 2 men and pick a pass out. Defenders won't know who to mark.

If we can see it, Tony must be able too. You are much better bringing on Conway when we are 2-0 up as he'll give you that bit more rigidity: an experienced football brain who will know the benefits of a sideways pass over trying to beat 3 men when holding a lead.

Start with the youthful exuberance, flair and creativity and see the game out with the wise, shrewd older heads. If we can get Chapman & Dack to play with freedom week in week out we can hurt any team in this league.

Hopefully Mowbray sees this too. It could define his career here. 

Just now, philipl said:

Brilliant preview.

We need a win but this really is a must not lose.

Huge amount depends on how Tony Mowbray sets us up- I doubt Wigan will be as forgiving if we come out for this one the way we played at Shrewsbury.

Nope, changing our winning team to a defensive one, will see Wigan win it. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This. 100% This.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hopefully Mowbray sees this too. It could define his career here. 

I don't know about that dropped 5 against Oldham & Plymouth the knives were out beat Wigan unfavourable results against Walsall & bury he will be back in the brown stuff with some supporters. I think if he laid a golden egg some people still wouldn't be convinced regarding his setup & tactics.

Archived