BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to go to Wigan and attack, get on the front foot from the start.

Mowbray has to be bold and brave, select the right players and give them their heads.  If he does this, we will win.

IF Mowbray is bold and brave in his team selection then almost 4/1 for a Rovers' win is a fantastic bet and I'll be having some of that.

Just now, Mercer said:

Mowbray has to be bold and brave, select the right players and give them their heads.  If he does this, we will win.

IF Mowbray is bold and brave in his team selection then almost 4/1 for a Rovers' win is a fantastic bet and I'll be having some of that.

Why did you say that :(

Just now, RV Blue said:

Don't understand those saying a draw is a decent result here, if we draw we're still 12 point behind them. Our awful results earlier in the season have made it so that we have to pull off wins in games like this.

Agreed. If we want to gatecrash the top 2 we have an uphill battle and simply have to cut that gap down to a more manageable figure. The best way to close that gap is by winning the 6 pointers vs the sides already up there, rather than hoping they drop points in other games.

Once you're out of the pack it is very difficult and unusual to get back in. Plenty like to compare us to Bolton/Sheff Utd last season - both of those got into that top 3-4 and stayed there throughout.

Some people would get to April 12 points off the top 2 and still be saying we had a chance. Now is the time to close the gap, not in a few weeks/months.

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Agreed, Chapman and Dack should both start.

Attack is the best form of defence.

I think going away to some of the so called run of the mill sides and starting a bit cautious then uping the ante as you go along you can often get away with it. Going to good sides or revved up local sides you've got to be in it from the off you won't get away with conceding time and space to them the first half of every game. Just the same as going to struggling sides you should set about them from the off don't give them chance to gain confidence.

I still think that against all but a handful of teams if we are on our best game we are better than them but you've got to always have the mindset to go and win the game they won't hand it to you.

A draw is not the end of the world.  Both Wigan and Shrews will drop points during the season.  I don't mind coming in off the radar at the end rather than being everyones scalp at the top.  We are already a team everyone wants to beat, being top makes it even worse.

Afraid TM will set up not to lose, but we will.  MB meltdown to follow.

Garry O'Connor (ex Hibs and Brum ) quote..

O’Connor rates McLeish and Mowbray the best managers of his career and remembers the latter sitting his Hibs charges down to watch Any Given Sunday, the American football movie
starring Al Pacino. “The inspiring speeches about fighting every inch for the team really got in the heads of the boys.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/garry-o-connor-i-was-going-to-lose-my-wife-kids-everything-1-4214276

Maybe time to switch the DVD player on Tony ..

27 minutes ago, kokkini said:

Any pub recommendations? Travelling no early on train to get there for the early kick off. All recommendations appreciated, thanks

Rovers fans usually take over the town center pubs, plenty up the hill from the station, you'll not struggle to find our lot. 

See Wigan have scored the most goals in this league and conceded the fewest sitting currently top of the form table for League one. 

What's Mowbray and his team been playing at !

Are Wigan paying more ?

I'm all for building confidence and the glass is half full, and after our first win in October last Saturday, we get the usual bigging it up from the players and manager throughout the week:-

"I feel brand new" - Corry Evans (So where have you been this last few years)

"We want to put down a marker against Wigan" - Paul Downing

"He will score goals as he always does" - Richie Smallwood on Danny Graham (2 goals tjhis season)

Smallwood believes he and Peter Whittingham have struck up a good understanding (One game)

"Dack can play at the highest level" - Tony Mowbray (Really)

"You have to be able to thrive on the pressure" - Derrick Williams (Well come on... show us!)

And the least said about Harry Chapman and Rivelino the better.

We have had 7 or 8 years of this nonsense from various players and managers after a win here and there. It's about time we stayed under the radar and put together a dozen or so matches unbeaten before we get too carried away. So now is the time to stand up and be counted and put all this talk into ACTION!

Wigan 0 Rovers 5 (if you believe what you read) ;)

2 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

I'm all for building confidence and the glass is half full, and after our first win in October last Saturday, we get the usual bigging it up from the players and manager throughout the week:-

"He will score goals as he always does" - Richie Smallwood on Danny Graham (2 goals tjhis season)

Smallwood believes he and Peter Whittingham have struck up a good understanding (One game)

"You have to be able to thrive on the pressure" - Derrick Williams (Well come on... show us!)

We have had 7 or 8 years of this nonsense from various players and managers after a win here and there. It's about time we stayed under the radar and put together a dozen or so matches unbeaten before we get too carried away. So now is the time to stand up and be counted and put all this talk into ACTION!

11 o clock bus from the Pickwick, for Wigan Tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

...and It goes on ......same do da different day !

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are 7/2 for the win. All over that 

For anyone having a little flutter tomorrow, here is a little tip with a bit of a heads up. Not great odds I know, but a fairly safe bet in my opinion. Barrow FC in the National league have lost a couple of players this week, including their skipper. The National League don't have a transfer window and two of their players have joined Guisley, who are managed by the ex Barrow boss Paul Cox. I also believe that there is a bit of turmoil at the club.  Tomorrow sees Barrow at home to sixth placed Aldershot and Barrow are languishing close to the Bottom of the league, having been struggling, even before these two transfers. Odds of an Aldershot win at the minute are 6/4 and I see these odds shortening, before kick off. I will be going on the nose, but for those who fancy Rovers tomorrow, put them in a double with Aldershot and that should return around 11/1.

Archived