BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

35 minutes ago, lraC said:

For anyone having a little flutter tomorrow, here is a little tip with a bit of a heads up. Not great odds I know, but a fairly safe bet in my opinion. Barrow FC in the National league have lost a couple of players this week, including their skipper. The National League don't have a transfer window and two of their players have joined Guisley, who are managed by the ex Barrow boss Paul Cox. I also believe that there is a bit of turmoil at the club.  Tomorrow sees Barrow at home to sixth placed Aldershot and Barrow are languishing close to the Bottom of the league, having been struggling, even before these two transfers. Odds of an Aldershot win at the minute are 6/4 and I see these odds shortening, before kick off. I will be going on the nose, but for those who fancy Rovers tomorrow, put them in a double with Aldershot and that should return around 11/1.

First rule of messageboard posting, never give out betting tips, it almost ruined mercerman :D but I do hope you win IraC.

As for tomorrows game, I'd be happy with a point, Wigan are flying.

1-1

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Gav said:

First rule of messageboard posting, never give out betting tips, it almost ruined mercerman :D but I do hope you win IraC.

1-1

Good advice that Gav. I have only done that once before and it came in, so 100% record so far!

It was last years Brum V Huddersfield game, when as we know Huddersfield were fielding an under strength team, yet somehow Brum were still 9/4. If I'm not mistaken All Rover Asia commented on the tip after, as I called it as close to a sure bet as there is. I'm not as confident about the Barrow V Aldershot game tomorrow, so my stake will reflect that, but it will pay for a meal out for me and the Mrs tomorrow if it does come in. As for Mercerman and his tips, I think some of them, may be a touch tongue in cheek. :) 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

1-1

Anyone who would be unhappy with a draw, needs to take a long hard look at themselves 

The details of that draw will be a decider too. If we throw away a comfortable three points by a formation or player change then I can forgive people for being unhappy at a draw. It's not like it hasn't happened before in a game we're desperate to win.

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What would they be? 

That we remain 12 points behind as opposed to catching up vital ground on our promotion rivals.

A draw as a result on its own isn't disastrous but the fact it leaves us back in the position we are in now isn't something to be happy about. This is an opportunity to gain ground, lose that opportunity and it's a disappointment.

It all comes down to past performances/results, really. Had we not lost silly games to Oldham, Southend, Wimbledon etc we could go and be content with a draw against a red hot Wigan side. As it stands we've used a lot of our lives and a draw is no good to us now really - we have too much ground to make up.

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That we remain 12 points behind as opposed to catching up vital ground on our promotion rivals.

A draw as a result on its own isn't disastrous but the fact it leaves us back in the position we are in now isn't something to be happy about. This is an opportunity to gain ground, lose that opportunity and it's a disappointment.

It all comes down to past performances/results, really. Had we not lost silly games to Oldham, Southend, Wimbledon etc we could go and be content with a draw against a red hot Wigan side. As it stands we've used a lot of our lives and a draw is no good to us now really - we have too much ground to make up.

Ya, true but I would still take a draw if you offered it to me now! 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyone who would be unhappy with a draw, needs to take a long hard look at themselves 

Just had a long hard look at myself and I'd still be unhappy with a draw... weird isn't it? A draw would have been decent if we were 3 points behind Wigan, we're currently 12 points behind Wigan. I bet they would snap your hand off for a draw tomorrow.

Rovers fans who are yet to purchase a ticket for Saturday's game against Wigan Athletic can do so on the day.

Supporters should note that it will be cash payment on the turnstiles only and there will be a £2 price increase for adults and seniors.

Matchday prices:

Adults £27
Seniors (65+) £17
Under-18s £10
Under-11s £5
Under-5s £2

Rovers will be roared on by over 2,500 supporters at the DW Stadium.

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Anyone know which pub fans gathering in before game

Lived in wigan for a few years now. Plenty of pubs on wallgate. Dog and Partridge next to the post office and Moon under water at the top are usually the busiest. If you fancy a real ale pub turn left out of the station and left again and in the arches is Wigan central. 

Cheers . I live in Wigan myself just wondering where everyone else was going. I know all the bars very well n worked in most but thanks. I usually find most away fans in moon under water. Think I will just start my wander from their until I find where the atmosphere is :)

22 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

I'm all for building confidence and the glass is half full, and after our first win in October last Saturday, we get the usual bigging it up from the players and manager throughout the week:-

"I feel brand new" - Corry Evans (So where have you been this last few years)

"We want to put down a marker against Wigan" - Paul Downing

"He will score goals as he always does" - Richie Smallwood on Danny Graham (2 goals tjhis season)

Smallwood believes he and Peter Whittingham have struck up a good understanding (One game)

"Dack can play at the highest level" - Tony Mowbray (Really)

"You have to be able to thrive on the pressure" - Derrick Williams (Well come on... show us!)

And the least said about Harry Chapman and Rivelino the better.

We have had 7 or 8 years of this nonsense from various players and managers after a win here and there. It's about time we stayed under the radar and put together a dozen or so matches unbeaten before we get too carried away. So now is the time to stand up and be counted and put all this talk into ACTION!

Wigan 0 Rovers 5 (if you believe what you read) ;)

I understand exactly what you are saying but in fact this is precisely the same nonsense we hear from every manager, every player in every sport. 

I long ago gave up taking any notice of or believing anything players or managers say. Equally long ago I gave up listening to sport on the radio, watching on TV, taking note of commentators or “experts” or reading anything other than match reports. 

With a very few exceptions they all talk nothing other than media speak and treat the fans like idiots. 

Sadly a lot of people fall for it. 

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

I understand exactly what you are saying but in fact this is precisely the same nonsense we hear from every manager, every player in every sport. 

I long ago gave up taking any notice of or believing anything players or managers say. Equally long ago I gave up listening to sport on the radio, watching on TV, taking note of commentators or “experts” or reading anything other than match reports. 

With a very few exceptions they all talk nothing other than media speak and treat the fans like idiots. 

Bang on.....

49 minutes ago, Paul said:

Well they have to say something in the 'press conferences' demanded by Sky TV to fill their week. There  was a time when we didn't have press conferences before games.

Ignore 'em. :brfc:

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Cheers . I live in Wigan myself just wondering where everyone else was going. I know all the bars very well n worked in most but thanks. I usually find most away fans in moon under water. Think I will just start my wander from their until I find where the atmosphere is :)

Let's hope it's a chilled out atmosphere & 3pts, I think today will be a draw though.

I hope it isn't a chilled atmosphere. This could be the turning point of our season. A season defining game. I hope it's loud and passionate. Obviously i hope their is no trouble. I think we will get beat being honest but football is a wonderful at throwing suprises up. Let's turn up in numbers and get betting the lads with all the noise and support we can muster ( ffs):rover:

Archived