BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Gav,we've gone DOWNWARDS to 7th! Farther off the top than the bottom. Games are running out. Whole pile of clubs fighting for that last promotion place---includng us!

This season has not gone well. Where's the 80 goals coming from?

'Games are running out"! Its only October 47er, calm yourself man.

You're old enough not to subscribe to this instant success nonsense that's peddled by the kids on here, it's going to take time, and it may never come with the 3 stooges at the Helm.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gav said:

You're as thick as a bar top, move along sunshine.

Now now ladies.

I'm still fuming about the fact we started the game twelve points behind Wigan and went out looking to scrape a point.

What's our strategy? Hoping everyone else above us will implode? It's a bit like needing to win the last 4 games of the season to stay up and hailing a draw in the second game as a good result! 

17 minutes ago, 47er said:

Gav,we've gone DOWNWARDS to 7th! Farther off the top than the bottom. Games are running out. Whole pile of clubs fighting for that last promotion place---includng us!

This season has not gone well. Where's the 80 goals coming from?

Games are running out. Whole pile of clubs fighting for that last promotion place---includng us!

Seriously ??? Games runninnig out ?? Last promotion place ???  with 32 matches to play ?? hysteria at its best ..good grief ..

Both managers set up not to lose the game and I was really surprised to see how negative they were particularly in the first half. I think this attitude took Mowbray by surprise too as the cautious approach by both teams resulted in a first half stalemate with very few chances created. The second half was more open and I was reasonably confident until the sending off. I was really perplexed when Mowbray brought Chapman on when we were down to ten men. His interview in midweek about Chapman's inability to defend seemed totally at odds to the decision to bring him on in such circumstances. Another contradiction seemingly. That said I think it was a decent defensive performance with Wigan (hitting the post and one save aside) not really testing Raya. I thought our full backs (particularly the much maligned Williams) were good today and the centre backs looked quite solid. Whittingham had his best game for us I felt. Antonsson was poor again and the decision to play him ahead of Graham baffled and annoyed me in equal measure. In all honesty I would have taken a draw at 3 pm but the drive home was tinged with a little disappointment. 

We will be without Smallwood (stupidly booked for dissent), Bennett and Chapman on Tuesday which will hit us hard.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Now now ladies.

I'm still fuming about the fact we started the game twelve points behind Wigan and went out looking to scrape a point.

What's our strategy? Hoping everyone else above us will implode? It's a bit like needing to win the last 4 games of the season to stay up and hailing a draw in the second game as a good result! 

32 games ...?

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Games are running out. Whole pile of clubs fighting for that last promotion place---includng us!

Seriously ??? Games runninnig out ?? Last promotion place ???  with 32 matches to play ?? hysteria at its best ..good grief ..

We are 12 points off the top, where we started the season as favourites! 12 points behind in only 16 games! How significant is that?

Everytime we get an OK result i.e. an away draw against a top team, we look forward to cashing in by winning the next "easy" home game or the "games in hand".

The trouble is we don't!

As Revidge implies you'll be saying this all season  till we reach the point where we need 3 wins from the last 3 games with 15 goals needed provided our "rivals" don't score!

For me this season has been hugely disappointing and I'm resigned to the play-offs ---at best.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Now now ladies.

The way I saw it was we set out to frustrate Wigan and prevent them from taking control of the game. This we did and we had begun to impose ourselves on the match when Bennett was sent off. Obviously that changed everything. 

5 hours ago, Miker said:

Sorry but that's rubbish. The red card happened not long after two fantastic runs down the left by Conway which ended in him setting up Dack. We were looking the more likely to score at that point until the sending off. Ref killed this game as a contest.

Credit to the players for trying to keep it relatively calm out there with this ref. We have had a few chances to score and if we managed to somehow nick this game, it would be a tremendous boost to our confidence. But 0-0 is looking like a good result right now.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Boaty said:

Decent point in the end, looked the better team in the second half. Slightly disappointed in how many idiots were in attendance today. A fat ginger kid and his mates along with a load of rough looking scrawny old men spent more time making gestures at the home fans than they did watching the game. And as for the "fighting" outside after that was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. 

The two Rovers fans sat behind me seemed like they were going to start hitting each other after Bennett was sent off. One of them was persuaded to leave. Judging by their earlier comments they hadn’t watched Rovers in a while “Is Conway 32?”

After the game half a dozen police officers were moving along about ten teenaged Rovers. After a couple of minutes two of the fans started throwing punches at some very big men. GMP didn’t muck about with those two. 

How many Rovers were there today?

Why wasn’t Graham playing? Really strange decision. If you have a goal scorer they usually only play well when they’re scoring because their confidence is up. He scored last week so surely he has to start this week. Seems odd to me but didn’t  see any of the game today so...... 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

'Games are running out"! Its only October 47er, calm yourself man.

You're old enough not to subscribe to this instant success nonsense that's peddled by the kids on here, it's going to take time, and it may never come with the 3 stooges at the Helm.

Instant success - hilarious. Our position has worsened every season apart from one under this lot. Its been a gradual fall down the leagues and it will keep on going. We are by the managers own words -= targeting top two or he himself admits he aint much cop as a manager. Do tyou see that happening? We are not asking for INSTANT success, just to meet the expectations set by our own manager.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Both managers set up not to lose the game and I was really surprised to see how negative they were particularly in the first half. I think this attitude took Mowbray by surprise too as the cautious approach by both teams resulted in a first half stalemate with very few chances created. The second half was more open and I was reasonably confident until the sending off. I was really perplexed when Mowbray brought Chapman on when we were down to ten men. His interview in midweek about Chapman's inability to defend seemed totally at odds to the decision to bring him on in such circumstances. Another contradiction seemingly. That said I think it was a decent defensive performance with Wigan (hitting the post and one save aside) not really testing Raya. I thought our full backs (particularly the much maligned Williams) were good today and the centre backs looked quite solid. Whittingham had his best game for us I felt. Antonsson was poor again and the decision to play him ahead of Graham baffled and annoyed me in equal measure. In all honesty I would have taken a draw at 3 pm but the drive home was tinged with a little disappointment. 

We will be without Smallwood (stupidly booked for dissent), Bennett and Chapman on Tuesday which will hit us hard.

That's because Wigan expected us to go at them like any team chasing an automatic promotion would do considering we were favourites to win the league at the start of the season. ANy manager with promotion aspirations would have done exactly that. Unfortunately we have Gary Mk.II

51 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Instant success - hilarious. Our position has worsened every season apart from one under this lot. Its been a gradual fall down the leagues and it will keep on going. We are by the managers own words -= targeting top two or he himself admits he aint much cop as a manager. Do tyou see that happening? We are not asking for INSTANT success, just to meet the expectations set by our own manager.

The manager gave a really good interview on Friday where he talked about trying to create a winning mentality at a club where losing has become acceptable and the norm.

He talked about Danny Graham being the only member of the side to start against Wigan the last time we played them, really insightful stuff about transient players and turnover off staff, trying to create a team from a bunch of strangers.

The thread has 8 replies, no acknowledgment of the job in hand, just the usual sh1te slagging the manager off, it's boring and offers nothing to the debate.

Calling for the managers head like you and your mates do at every turn is very suspicious to me, you can't all be that stupid, nobody in the real world agrees with you, so you must have another reason, another motive, or you're on the wind up?

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The way I saw it was we set out to frustrate Wigan and prevent them from taking control of the game. This we did and we had begun to impose ourselves on the match when Bennett was sent off. Obviously that changed everything. 

Hi Paul. The friend I went to the game with thought that as well but I completely disagree. To my mind we make it so much more difficult for ourselves by only leaving ourselves 45 mins as opposed to 90 to try and win a game and whilst the sending off was undeserved and realistically stopped the possibility of 3 points, these things happen in football sometimes and maybe if we had gone for it in tbe first half and been one or two up at the interval the sending off wouldnt have mattered.

The point yesterday ONLY looks a good one for me if we win our 2 games in hand  and there's little to suggest from our form so far we'll necessarily do that. Even if we do play well we may still get a bit unlucky or (heaven forbid) run into a bad refereeing performance. Anything less than 6 points and we'll probably be saying "Wish we'd gone for it first half at Wigan."

1 hour ago, Gav said:

The manager gave a really good interview on Friday where he talked about trying to create a winning mentality at a club where losing has become acceptable and the norm.

He talked about Danny Graham being the only member of the side to start against Wigan the last time we played them, really insightful stuff about transient players and turnover off staff, trying to create a team from a bunch of strangers.

The thread has 8 replies, no acknowledgment of the job in hand, just the usual sh1te slagging the manager off, it's boring and offers nothing to the debate.

Calling for the managers head like you and your mates do at every turn is very suspicious to me, you can't all be that stupid, nobody in the real world agrees with you, so you must have another reason, another motive, or you're on the wind up?

Exactly Gav. Sad old rubbish from the same posters. 

We are 7th with 2 games in hand and still far too many people are panicking this earlier on in the season. Patience is need and require here

From 4 mins: Wigan blatant dive in the penalty area - NO booking, followed by Bennet running at speed taking avoding action from a frontal assault - booked for simulation and sent off.

Feckin bent Referee.

It was impossible for Bennet to stay up, he either avoided it or took a big hit. He chose to avoid.

A thumbs up to the Rover fan on Youtube who does a vid of every game and usually 10 mins in length and good quality. As I can't get iFollow to work he is a blessing.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I read the Mowbray dispatch before it appeared on this MB.

The majority of those 8 replies you mention are reasoned argument.

All of the teams in this league are subject to high player turnover and an early season 'bedding' in process, it is not just at Rovers. Others have coped better.....

I, for one, want an auto promotion spot and, currently, have little confidence in Mowbray being able to get us up via the end of season playoffs. I hate the playoff concept if Rovers are involved. Palace is a scar to this day and not healed by subsequent success.

We are currently just about on target for the playoffs which is below Mowbray's own target. Great overall improvement is needed.

At least we get the Fleetwood 'game in hand' out of the way on Tuesday, let's see how that pans out.

In the final analysis if we don't get promoted it won't be down to yesterday. We have dropped stupid points to poor teams through the manager trying to be too clever and arrogance from the players. At the beginning of the season a point at Wigan would have been considered a good one.

Just on the referee I thought the game was too big for him. He was hesitant and often late when giving decisions which which just doesn't give the players any confidence in him. He was too excitable which was proved when he sent Bennett off. He couldn't get his cards out quick enough and actually showed the red card before the yellow. A poor performance from him.

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hi Paul. The friend I went to the game with thought that as well but I completely disagree. To my mind we make it so much more difficult for ourselves by only leaving ourselves 45 mins as opposed to 90 to try and win a game and whilst the sending off was undeserved and realistically stopped the possibility of 3 points, these things happen in football sometimes and maybe if we had gone for it in tbe first half and been one or two up at the interval the sending off wouldnt have mattered.

The point yesterday ONLY looks a good one for me if we win our 2 games in hand  and there's little to suggest from our form so far we'll necessarily do that. Even if we do play well we may still get a bit unlucky or (heaven forbid) run into a bad refereeing performance. Anything less than 6 points and we'll probably be saying "Wish we'd gone for it first half at Wigan."

Yes I see the point and under another manager I think we would have a different approach. The thing is we have Mowbray and he’s clearly always going to be cautious. I don’t know if this is characteristic of his career as I don’t follow these things closely enough.

I do feel the five minutes or so prior to Bennett’s sending off, and including the position he was in, showed us playing much better football than Wigan. In that short period we created three chances. What I have seen is in the few games were we go for it from the off the team can’t maintain this for 90 minutes. Possibly Mowbray approaches games the way he does because he’s very aware of this failing?

Quite correc not winning the two games will be a disaster. Just in my mind the failure to best Oldham and Plymouth was. Losing in the 93rd minute at Boundary Park and failing to beat Plymouth was unacceptable. We should have won both and gone to Wigan in, I think, 3rd place. 

6 hours ago, Gav said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I would say; Anyone who thinks it's time to change manager, must be completely unaware of how the club has and still is being run.

I take a dollop of criticism for laughing off 95% of the unsubstantiated rumours at Ewood, but even I cannot ignore the chasmic vacuum that exists above our coaching staff, the same lack of structure that sent us hurtling in this direction in the first place.

The same space that's been occupied by thin air and chancer after chancer since JW left.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, at this point in time; firing TM will make us LESS LIKELY to be promoted because of the farce that will likely follow.

As for the game, thought we played well in the circumstances. Intent on frustrating Wigan, we'd just started to pick up some fire on the counter when the referee inexplicably decided to send off Bennett, who despite some opinion, played well and worked hard. The referee was easily the worst I've seen for some time.

Was impressed by Williams, Conway, Downing, Dack and Richie again. Even Whittingham put a few tackles in. Hard to judge after the sending off, but despite hitting the post, I didn't feel too worried about Wigan. Nyambe scares at times.

As for the lineup, I would've kept DG over Antonsson, but it is plausible the fixture list this week came into play a little bit, and to be fair to Antonsson, he works his absolute nuts off and doesn't let the other teams defenders dwell on the ball.

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A thumbs up to the Rover fan on Youtube who does a vid of every game and usually 10 mins in length and good quality. As I can't get iFollow to work he is a blessing.

l am pretty sure that recording an PL or EFL game is illegal and published as such in all Ground Regs.

For the reasons you allude to AAR. Copyright.

Archived