SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AggyBlue said:

I'm not because I know with the squad we have we could be doing so much better

Again that statement ignores everything thats gone on at the club over the past 8yrs, I don't need to go week in week out to know that will impact on any rebuilding job.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Yesterday showed that we have a squad of players that is at least as good as Wigan's (it is probably better), but we have a poor manager and they have a decent manager. There is no way that we should be 12 points behind that lot. If we don't beat Fleetwood then Mowbray must go, and we won't get a better opportunity to sack him as there will be about 10 days until the next league fixture.

Who will make the decision to sack him?  Who will draw up a short list?  Who will interview and do the appointment?  The fact is that the club is run from Pune and all the decisions are made there by people who have no knowledge of football.   Indeed, I would suggest that sacking the manager at this point would probably be the end of any hope of promotion.  Get rid of Mowbray now and we could well end up with another Coyle type appointment.  The aim is promotion and at the moment it is still October and we are still within reach of the top two and are well in the mix in terms of play-offs.  Promotion via the play-offs is still promotion at the end of the day.  Spending money guarantees nothing in football and certainly we have no automatic right to a top two place.

Just now, Gav said:

Again that statement ignores everything thats gone on at the club over the past 8yrs, I don't need to go week in week out to know that will impact on any rebuilding job.

How does what's gone on over the past eight years have anything to do with how ToMo sends his team out to play?

It's all about the present manager, present players, present team selection and substitutions plus present tactics.

Going shopping, continue later:(

6 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

How does what's gone on over the past eight years have anything to do with how ToMo sends his team out to play?

It's all about the present manager, present players, present team selection and substitutions plus present tactics.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Who will make the decision to sack him?  Who will draw up a short list?  Who will interview and do the appointment?  The fact is that the club is run from Pune and all the decisions are made there by people who have no knowledge of football.   Indeed, I would suggest that sacking the manager at this point would probably be the end of any hope of promotion.  Get rid of Mowbray now and we could well end up with another Coyle type appointment.  The aim is promotion and at the moment it is still October and we are still within reach of the top two and are well in the mix in terms of play-offs.  Promotion via the play-offs is still promotion at the end of the day.  Spending money guarantees nothing in football and certainly we have no automatic right to a top two place.

Who drew up the shortlist that appointed Lambert, Kelly and Irvine (the dream team as they were proclaimed widely by Rovers fans everywhere)

Top 2 is the remit. He's had everything he asked for. He's admitted himself he'll be sacked if we don't go up. He 's admitted he's not much of a manager if we don't go up. Money guarantees a better squad than most others and a bigger wage bill to attract those players. It's up to the manager to perform at that point. You're last sentence is just a cop-out.

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

We have 5 points from the last 4 games. Not encouraging is it?

47er, did you think the same under Saxton? Lee? Kendall when he first arrived? Mackay? Hartford?

Or did you think they need more time to settle into the role, longer than the few months that TM has had so far had?

Whats different now to then? other than the club now has been robbed, pillaged and raped by crooks and stooges?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Who drew up the shortlist that appointed Lambert, Kelly and Irvine (the dream team as they were proclaimed widely by Rovers fans everywhere)

Top 2 is the remit. He's had everything he asked for. He's admitted himself he'll be sacked if we don't go up. He 's admitted he's not much of a manager if we don't go up. Money guarantees a better squad than most others and a bigger wage bill to attract those players. It's up to the manager to perform at that point. You're last sentence is just a cop-out.

Its only October blueboy, you win nowt in October.

Just now, AggyBlue said:

See if you can pick up a goalscorer in Marks and Sparks.

39 minutes ago, Gav said:

We always have this one, "Look at how well Shrewsbury are doing" "Well look at Scunthorpe, they're not struggling" "Look at Wigan, new manager" "Look at the next side that puts a run together" blah blah blah.

How about looking at the other 21 sides that aren't sitting in the top 2 promotion places for a change? Are they all to be sacked? do they have managers that are useless? or is it just us?

The only manager you've ever liked mercer was Coyle! and he was at Bolton at the time! and we all know how that ended up!

That's @#/? Gav and you know it!

Rovers are best resourced club in this league with the best training facilities, the best stadium and arguably, the best support other than perhaps Pompey.

Mowbray had a free hand in the window, even having money left over in the kitty, and was able to select his own assistants.

Dream circumstances for any half decent manager.

We are off the pace and rarely, with a third of the season gone, have we looked like a convincing, cohesive and consistent unit.

There can be NO EXCUSES.

I've always worked in an environment where what gets measured gets done.  You stand and fall by your results.  You either achieve your objectives or you don't.  It's not rocket science 

The question needing answering is based on evidence so far, and Mowbray has had 30+ games, do we believe he is the man to guarantee promotion this season.

IMV, the answer is a resounding NO.  With Warnock in charge, I would have put my house on it.

The totally uninspiring gruesome threesome (Mowbray, Venus and Lowe) need bombing out.

I like successful managers, and success has to be measured relatively, and without doubt, the loons in Pune fired our last successful manager - Big Sam.  Oh for those halcyon days where we could take on the PL big boys and stand our own ground.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Those three were as near to a dream team we could have had. I see Irvine and Kelly never seem to come in for any criticism, just Lambert.

Getting back to the subject - we have been disappointing so far given our resources. There's no point trying to pretend that's not been the case. I was reading an article in today's paper regarding Kevin Nolan who's just taken over at Notts County..

" There was so much when we came in that was just not right " . He says. " We didn't have a training ground. The lads were getting changed here and then driving 20 or 30 minutes and then having to come back to get showered. The pitch has not been touched for six or seven years ".

There will be teams in our league training under similar circumstances. I used to see the Rochdale players training on the local cricket and lacrosse pitches near where I used to work. The usual " shift the dog shit before you start " scenario. Compare that with our palatial facilities.

The major problem for me is that we've signed a collection of players that don't seem to fit together very well. Several of them have made next to no impact at all and as far as I can don't look like doing so. We'll see if the likes of Harper and Hart, Gladwin etc are up to the job soon given the lack of numbers we'll have in the next few games.

Mowbray has got to take responsibility for that, the buck stops at his door.

I'm not calling for his head but I would like to see Johnno given much more imput into the first team. He's got to be an improvement on Lowe surely ? His team plays attacking, entertaining football and they score goals.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Quite simply Jack, you're expecting us to finish in the top 2 because the manager said that was his aim at the Q&A?

So until we sit top 2 you think he's failing at his job and should be sacked after every game we lose, but you'll give him a pass for a good result in isolation? The reason I say this is because you're one of the posters calling for his after head on a regular basis, after Plymouth draw in particular.

As for Wigan, they're just the latest benchmark to hammer the manager with, maybe TM's tactics made Wigan look ordinary? now theres a thought......

Perhaps with all the negatives on here towards whoever the manager  is we should just bring a whole new meaning to manager of the month.

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

With Warnock in charge, I would have put my house on it.

Has the person (can't remember his name) ever been questioned or held to account as the reason why Coyle was appointed when Warnock was among those interviewed? Assuming they were offered the same sort of money the decision makes no sense at all. 

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

That's @#/? Gav and you know it!

Rovers are best resourced club in this league with the best training facilities, the best stadium and arguably, the best support other than perhaps Pompey.

Mowbray had a free hand in the window, even having money left over in the kitty, and was able to select his own assistants.

Dream circumstances for any half decent manager.

We are off the pace and rarely, with a third of the season gone, have we looked like a convincing, cohesive and consistent unit.

There can be NO EXCUSES.

I've always worked in an environment where what gets measured gets done.  You stand and fall by your results.  You either achieve your objectives or you don't.  It's not rocket science 

The question needing answering is based on evidence so far, and Mowbray has had 30+ games, do we believe he is the man to guarantee promotion this season.

IMV, the answer is a resounding NO.  With Warnock in charge, I would have put my house on it.

The totally uninspiring gruesome threesome (Mowbray, Venus and Lowe) need bombing out.

I like successful managers, and success has to be measured relatively, and without doubt, the loons in Pune fired our last successful manager - Big Sam.  Oh for those halcyon days where we could take on the PL big boys and stand our own ground.

We're only in October mercer and nobody is making excuses, he's pointing out what everyone should already know, its going to take time.

I too have worked in many different places, both public and private, and I know you don't turn things round overnight, footballs no different.

You talk about Allardyce, when he took over from Ince he got something like 20 points out of 60 - did you call for his head? did you try to storm the directors box? No you didn't because you understood the shi1te that had been left by Ince, but you don't recognise the sh1te left by Coyle/Venkys and the rest of them......

Got his team wrong (again) but we did get a draw in the most difficult game of the season in especially difficult circumstances.

We've settled on a defence and keeper, and a central 2 in front, he needs to now start putting a consistent long run of wins together, his incosistent management has already left us far too far off the pace, no more excuses, has to win on Tuesday and then onwards.

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm with Parson a little bit on this one. I have no idea who shortlisted any Rovers manager. I would have hoped that for the Lambert appointment people at Ewood had exerted some influence. Certainly Myers was rumoured to be involved at the time. At least Myers and Shelfy had been around football in the U.K. You would hope they would have some clue on who wouldn't be an absolute Keaner.

Now we only have a non-footballing accountant based locally thanks to the further dismantling of the Ewood boardroom.  Cheston has also finally confirmed that Coyle was brought in directly from Pune above his head.

I think we have to accept that if we change manager now, the only people who will have any influence on who the next manager is will be Pascha and whoever else advises the Pune crew.

I've been very critical of Mowbray,  and if we had footballing people in the U.K. who would swiftly and knowledgeably appoint a new manager then I wouldn't be disappointed if he went tomorrow. However we don't.

If someone decided to sack him (and who would that someone be?) then I have no faith that the same people who thought Coyle was a good idea wouldn't pull out some other Jewell (probably literally).

Just now, Gav said:

We're only in October mercer and nobody is making excuses, he's pointing out what everyone should already know, its going to take time.

I too have worked in many different places, both public and private, and I know you don't turn things round overnight, footballs no different.

You talk about Allardyce, when he took over from Ince he got something like 20 points out of 60 - did you call for his head? did you try to storm the directors box? No you didn't because you understood the shi1te that had been left by Ince, but you don't recognise the sh1te left by Coyle/Venkys and the rest of them......

And Cook inherited arguably a bigger crock of shyte than Rovers' mogadon man.  He knew what he was walking into and is delivering big time.

I have zero confidence that Mowbray is capable of delivering and that is based on what HE HAS DONE since arriving at Rovers 30+ games ago.

27 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm with Parson a little bit on this one. I have no idea who shortlisted any Rovers manager. I would have hoped that for the Lambert appointment people at Ewood had exerted some influence. Certainly Myers was rumoured to be involved at the time. At least Myers and Shelby had been around football in the U.K. You would hope they would have some clue on who wouldn't be an absolute Keaner.

Now we only have a non-footballing accountant based locally thanks to the further dismantling of the Ewood boardroom.  Cheston has also finally confirmed that Coyle was brought in directly from Pune above his head.

I think we have to accept that if we change manager now, the only people who will have any influence on who the next manager is will be Pascha and whoever else advises the Pune crew.

I've been very critical of Mowbray,  and if we had footballing people in the U.K. who would swiftly and knowledgeably appoint a new manager then I wouldn't be disappointed if he went tomorrow. However we don't.

If someone decided to sack him (and who would that someone be?) then I have no faith that the same people who thought Coyle was a good idea wouldn't pull out some other Jewell (probably literally).

Who's been in the shadows since day one? Suhail

Why do managers Coyle (Sheron), Lambert and Mowbray all get represented by HSH Sports?

HSH being all the old SEM crowd. Now it looks to me as if all Suhail does is call up and take advice from this crowd or meeting them on motorways.

Progressive clubs or just people in life don't make the same mistakes and don't hire ex glucose biscuit sales men to run a club.

21 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm with Parson a little bit on this one. I have no idea who shortlisted any Rovers manager. I would have hoped that for the Lambert appointment people at Ewood had exerted some influence. Certainly Myers was rumoured to be involved at the time. At least Myers and Shelby had been around football in the U.K. You would hope they would have some clue on who wouldn't be an absolute Keaner.

If someone decided to sack him (and who would that someone be?) .

At the supporters meeting at Ewood I asked Cheston the direct question on who hires and fires the manager to which he confirmed it was the Raos back in India.

Archived