BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS VS WIGAN

• Backroom

Games like yesterday aren't Tony's problem, we've played the top two away and come away with two draws which have been very good results.

In fact we've only lost one to a team in the top half and that's Southend in 11th.

The problems manifest in games that we should be comfortably winning, more often than not this season if a team is content to sit deep and defend and hope to counter we really struggle to break them down.

Not sure if it's a lack of tactical nouse or bravery but we should have the players to unlock stubborn defences 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The forum is becoming more and more like a Man Utd forum - the sense of entitlement prevails at all times. 

We should be the Man United of League 1. League @#/?ing One. Best stadium, best training facilities, biggest budget, absolutely no excuse for not getting in the top 2. We aren't going to get in the top 2 under Mowbray, so he must be sacked before it is impossible for a competent manager to get us into the top 2 this season.

I'm not going to slate Mowbray for putting a defensive team out to grind any points we could get out at Wigan.

It's when he does it away at the likes of Oldham that grate me.

At least he's not got the Chapman connondrum to contend with on Tuesday.

Just now, Gav said:

If he's failed to get us promoted at the end of the season then posters will have some grounds to call for his head, but until then such a remark will remain idiotic in my opinion.

Absolute bunkum.

The art of effective and successful management is recognising the warning signs and changing track.

As with Coyle's tenure, the warning lights are flashing and the alarm bells are ringing.  Ignore them at the club's peril.

If we don't get up this seaon, it might well and truly be game over for Rovers.

Mowbray, Venus and Lowe all have to go and sooner the better.

14 minutes ago, den said:

I’m not talking about going gang ho, or throwing caution to the wind. I’m talking about positivity of thought, of believing that anything less than a win before a game is acceptable. A lot of posters on here don’t think Mowbray has that mindset and  it shows in his team selections and game plans.

Ok I don't think Mowbray purposely sets out any different than not to win but certain games is mindful of what the opposition can do & a draw isn't bad away to Shrewsbury & Wigan. You can have the positivity of thought I can think I'm pele in his pomp but when I start to play football I'm not that's a fact. Everyone has there capabilities & can only reach a certain level within that scope.

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Nobody is lashing out at fans, he's posting an opinion, stop being so melodramatic.

As for only one person calling for his sacking, absolute bunkum, its all over the match threads week in week out when we lose or draw.

If he's failed to get us promoted at the end of the season then posters will have some grounds to call for his head, but until then such a remark will remain idiotic in my opinion.

Melodramatic? Moi? I'm not the one comparing this to a Manure forum full of the 'entitled'.

3 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Looking back Smallwood was really good again, broke up so many attacks and was good in possession. Player of the season so far. Massive improvement on anyone we've had in CM for a while now. 

I think we will see just how important he is Tuesday night. They are some boots to fill and I haven't seen anyone in our squad capable of doing it thus far. First name on the sheet

38 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

We should be the Man United of League 1. League @#/?ing One. Best stadium, best training facilities, biggest budget, absolutely no excuse for not getting in the top 2. We aren't going to get in the top 2 under Mowbray, so he must be sacked before it is impossible for a competent manager to get us into the top 2 this season.

Utd haven't won the league in 5 years 

Said this a few times this season, do people really think we can get top 2 this season? I don't. I am as pussed off as the rest of us, but look at the squad, if Chapman doesn't play we offer absolutely Very little every game, Dack has quality but he's so isolated with the way we play that he's literally on his own against 2 or 3 players every time he gets the ball, there's that donkey up top Samuel and the other donkey antonsson who are both diabolical, where are the goals coming from? 

The defence looks relatively solid and the keeper does too apart from his kicking. However going forward what do players offer apart from Chapman and when he's not isolated Dack? 

Thats down to the manager, I think it was a real poor window. We needed another Chapman type player and a pacey forward, we are two players down on the attacking front and it is damaging us, where has Harper gone???

1 hour ago, den said:

I’m not talking about going gang ho, or throwing caution to the wind. I’m talking about positivity of thought, of believing that anything less than a win before a game is acceptable. A lot of posters on here don’t think Mowbray has that mindset and  it shows in his team selections and game plans.

Agreed.

Mowbray is our League One Bowyer.

We will probably potter along in the top ten of this division for a year or two, then regress.

Just now, martonrover said:

Agreed.

Mowbray is our League One Bowyer.

We will probably potter along in the top ten of this division for a year or two, then regress.

Venky's have us on life support.  We are at their mercy.  Can't see them chucking any more money at it unless we get up this season.

Sadly, can't see Mowbray getting us to where we need to be.

Just now, Mercer said:

Venky's have us on life support.  We are at their mercy.  Can't see them chucking any more money at it unless we get up this season.

Yup, all the high earners will be sold to reduce the wage bill they are funding this season. Anyone of value will be sold as we downgrade further. We will then become an 'actual' league one club in that no fees will be paid and it will just be a merry go round of freebies each summer like everyone else down here. 

I don't think some realise just how important and imperative promotion is to this club. We might never recover.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No I can see then possibly wanting back some of the money they've had no choice but to bung in upfront this season to keep things going. That will mean sales, cuts or worse but not like we haven't seen it before.

Of course they could always offer it for sale and get it back that way but that would be too sensible for them and they'd lose the big oversees accounting tool for the corporation.

7 minutes ago, renrag said:

Absolutely agree, but it didn't stop several dozens gathering on Nuttall Street game after game calling for his sacking

That was Parsonblue and his mates.:)

I was only about 10 when Kendall was around so don't remember those protests. Didn't hr lose the 1st ten games of the season or something equally bad? Kendall was also close to getting the boot from Everton early on as the fans were none to chuffed with him there at first. I do remember the Don Mackay protests though and thought they were harsh at the time considering what he'd done for the club.

It's a different world now. The days of protesting outside the main entrance about a manager seem archaic. Social media and places like this are the new 'NUttall Street'. Not sure if that's a change for the better or not;) It just goes to show though that every generation needs a place to vent!

My problem with Mowbray is that he is stubborn and too wedded to some fanciful nothing of studied, cautious, possession football being the only way to play the game.

Rinse and repeat time again on here.

If we learned anything from our dark period under this ownership, we should know that we have had too many managers to even stabilise the club (Bowyer being the exception}.

Mowbray must be given time, his results against all the teams above us have been good, we just need to put the lesser teams to the sword.

We aren't in such a bad position in this league at the moment, and a decent couple of results should see us into the top 6.

Changing now gives the next manager (and those calling for change) the option to say 'well it's not my/his team', give him more time, not his players'!!

Another wasted season, then sack Mowbray's replacement next October. rinse and repeat!!

Please look at the big picture!!;)

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Quite simply Jack, you're expecting us to finish in the top 2 because the manager said that was his aim at the Q&A?

So until we sit top 2 you think he's failing at his job and should be sacked after every game we lose, but you'll give him a pass for a good result in isolation? The reason I say this is because you're one of the posters calling for his after head on a regular basis, after Plymouth draw in particular.

As for Wigan, they're just the latest benchmark to hammer the manager with, maybe TM's tactics made Wigan look ordinary? now theres a thought......

Personally I feel there is every chance Mowbray will have us finish in the top two. For the first 45 minutes we made Wigan look ordinary and in the minutes leading up to Bennett’s dismissal we started to play much better football than Wigan. We would’ve won with 11 men. 

Where I am disappointed with the team and manager is the failure against Oldham and Plymouth who  we should have beaten to go to the DW in third. Several other games when we should have done better earlier in the season. 

The manager or the players? For me it’s the players thinking they will beat the likes of Plymouth and the manager failing to instill the importance of doing so. 50/50 for me. 

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Just on the referee I thought the game was too big for him. He was hesitant and often late when giving decisions which which just doesn't give the players any confidence in him. He was too excitable which was proved when he sent Bennett off. He couldn't get his cards out quick enough and actually showed the red card before the yellow. A poor performance from him.

Diabolical ref.  I saw that with the card, my initial thought was he had red carded the Wigan lad, told the wife, bit harsh that, then wondered why Bennett got a yellow.  I was completely flabbergasted when I realised Bennet was gone.  All game Wigan got away with stuff yetif a Wigan player went down it was a free kick.  4 mins added time, what a joke.  Thankfully it was not one of his decisions that directly cost us, I felt for sure if ine of theirs fell over in the box they were getting a penalty.

Well Fleetwood next and a chance to blow the first 3 of our 6 points in hand.

Sorry but Mowbary frustrates the hell out of me.  Why oh why change the team that performed so well against Portsmouth.  Pick that 11 and tell em " Right lads, go win the game"  Seriously in this league I think that is all we need.

I'm sure we will soon be reading just how great Fleetwood are in the coming days.  I expect a loss, the will be well up for this game and our confused bunch won't be.

I had to laugh when I read Mowbary's statements about the club needing stability yet, this season, he has yet to name an unchanged side.

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

No it's not rubbish, it's being realistic.

Stop being an apologist.

Cook under worse circumstances at Wigan (don't forget Mowbray had months of games last seaon to assess and put a pattern of play into operation - Cook went cold into this season) has got his side off to the flying start all Rovers' fans hoped and expected Mowbray to.

Irrespective of how average Wigan seemed yesterday, I will bet you as much as you like they finish higher than Rovers simply because they have a manager who knows what he's about.

Thanks for that Mercer, I now feel a little more optimistic than I did.

8 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Diabolical ref.  I saw that with the card, my initial thought was he had red carded the Wigan lad, told the wife, bit harsh that, then wondered why Bennett got a yellow.  I was completely flabbergasted when I realised Bennet was gone.  All game Wigan got away with stuff yetif a Wigan player went down it was a free kick.  4 mins added time, what a joke.  Thankfully it was not one of his decisions that directly cost us, I felt for sure if ine of theirs fell over in the box they were getting a penalty.

Well Fleetwood next and a chance to blow the first 3 of our 6 points in hand.

Sorry but Mowbary frustrates the hell out of me.  Why oh why change the team that performed so well against Portsmouth.  Pick that 11 and tell em " Right lads, go win the game"  Seriously in this league I think that is all we need.

I'm sure we will soon be reading just how great Fleetwood are in the coming days.  I expect a loss, the will be well up for this game and our confused bunch won't be.

I had to laugh when I read Mowbary's statements about the club needing stability yet, this season, he has yet to name an unchanged side.

It's the Rovers rotation policy, keep them happy and in appearance money, every manager has done it in recent years. Needless tinkering but we always employ gaffers like that, one wonders why :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

The usual condescending rubbish from you. Always calling others stupid when you cannot even comprehend the fact that we are massively underperforming in our quest to hit our own managers targets. 

• Bookies favourites to win the league at the start of the season.
  • Highest wage bill in the division.
  • Biggest net spend in the transfer window.
  • Kept best players in said window.
  • Manager states he wont be much of a manager if he cannot get this squad promoted.

We always hear the 'gelling' excuse that he always sets in motion before every game despite Wigan bringing in more players and making more changes that we did. Amazing how they have managed to 'gel' so quickly with a brand new manager where ours was with us for the last few months of last season.

The difference between us and Wigan is that they have a manager that knows what he is doing - simple.

In isolation the result yesterday was a good one. However, seeing as we started the game 12 points behind our 'supposedly' title rivals due to some awful results earlier in the season which can only put down to the manager, we really needed to go at them to cut the lead. As it turns out, Wigan looked pretty bog standard which only goes to further show how inept TM has been this season.

I want the guy to do well but he needs to walk the talk. 

Mowbary knows what he's doing, he's just doing the wrong things for this group of players in this division.  God I wish he'd take a look at himself and re-invent some if his philosophies.  I like the guy but more thanthat I like BRFC and we need out of this division THIS season.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

The art of effective and successful management is recognising the warning signs and changing track.

As with Coyle's tenure, the warning lights are flashing and the alarm bells are ringing.  Ignore them at the club's peril.

If we don't get up this seaon, it might well and truly be game over for Rovers.

Mowbray, Venus and Lowe all have to go and sooner the better.

If you can compare this form/tactics to Coyle, you mustn’t have watched any of his tenure, and I’d hazard a guess that you’ve seen zip of TM’s either. We all know it’s a shit or bust season, but ignore the “Rao ball and chain” at your own peril.

I also “like” how you tried to top JALs inexplicable problem with David Lowe also, just what has he publicly done wrong? (Besides being called Lowe..)

8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Do you think he will get top 2? Are we on course for that? 

Yes called for his head after Plymouth and was far from the only one. Wigan played for a draw as they expected us to go at them like any promotion rival team so far behind them would be. They were shocked to find that we were also playing for a draw - which resulted in a turgid game from both teams. Them playing for a draw at home shows that even they feel we are much better than our position.A draw suited them far better than us.

Wow, you know this how?  Did nit look like they were playing for a draw to me.  Let me know how you know what they were thinking too.  I'd love to master that skill.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's the Rovers rotation policy, keep them happy and in appearance money, every manager has done it in recent years. Needless tinkering but we always employ gaffers like that, one wonders why :rolleyes:

:) 

6C096DCE-4277-4A6A-83AE-BE4D4ED30919.gif

Archived