BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Mowbray Looking Forward to Wigan Test

Rovers boss Tony Mowbray is relishing the visit to Wigan on Saturday.  At his pre-match press conference Mowbray said 

“I think based on the results Wigan have produced at home, it suggests it’s going to be pretty tough, They play as a team and they’re good with the ball. They’re controlled and ask questions of you.  Wigan have some exceptional individual talent at this level, so it’s a game we have to really focus on. Let’s go there and enjoy it. We want to test ourselves.  We have to play our game and let the match unfold in front of us, really. It’s difficult to predict how it’s going to be."

Mowbray added “We’ll make sure we carry a goal threat, make sure we know where the space is on the pitch and exploit it.  If think they have very good technical players who can keep the ball well. They have a lot of quality in their team, but hopefully we have more athleticism.  I think it will be a pretty tactical game, a good game with a lot of good players on the pitch. Let’s see how it goes.  It would be nice to get the three points, however we might get them. Let’s go there and be positive and try to take the game to them if we can."

Mowbray also talked about the huge turnover of players at the club and the need for stability “The away game at Wigan last season, only Danny Graham started that game so that shows the turnover of players there has been at this club, We have had a huge turnover of players since then.  I’m conscious that people think these are excuses but I genuinely think that on the training ground the players are still bedding in and the players are understanding the way that we play."  

The Rovers boss is hoping to change the mentality at the club going forward  "Those that have been here a while have to get out of the mentality of expecting another defeat and we have to change the mentality to a winning one rather than one of it being another tough game.  It’s not easy to do, it will take time. You can’t just sprinkle magic dust on a team and they start winning, there’s a process you have to go through.  Hopefully as quick as we can we can become a team that expects to win every week and we demand high standards of each other and you don’t play if you don’t reach it.”

View full article

This (in bold) is what annoys me about TM.

After first "bigging up" the opposition and saying how tough it's going to be, he then in the last paragraph contradicts himself. He does this every week and I fail to see how that can motivate anybody. 

Rovers boss Tony Mowbray is relishing the visit to Wigan on Saturday. At his pre-match press conference Mowbray said

"I think based on the results Wigan have produced at home, it suggests it’s going to be pretty tough, They play as a team and they’re good with the ball. They’re controlled and ask questions of you. Wigan have some exceptional individual talent at this level, so it’s a game we have to really focus on. Let’s go there and enjoy it. We want to test ourselves. We have to play our game and let the match unfold in front of us, really. It’s difficult to predict how it’s going to be."

Mowbray added "We’ll make sure we carry a goal threat, make sure we know where the space is on the pitch and exploit it. I think they have very good technical players who can keep the ball well. They have a lot of quality in their team, but hopefully we have more athleticism. I think it will be a pretty tactical game, a good game with a lot of good players on the pitch. Let’s see how it goes. It would be nice to get the three points, however we might get them. Let’s go there and be positive and try to take the game to them if we can."

Mowbray also talked about the huge turnover of players at the club and the need for stability "The away game at Wigan last season, only Danny Graham started that game so that shows the turnover of players there has been at this club, We have had a huge turnover of players since then. I’m conscious that people think these are excuses but I genuinely think that on the training ground the players are still bedding in and the players are understanding the way that we play."

The Rovers boss is hoping to change the mentality at the club going forward "Those that have been here a while have to get out of the mentality of expecting another defeat and we have to change the mentality to a winning one rather than one of it being another tough game. It’s not easy to do, it will take time. You can’t just sprinkle magic dust on a team and they start winning, there’s a process you have to go through. Hopefully as quick as we can we can become a team that expects to win every week and we demand high standards of each other and you don’t play if you don’t reach it."

• J*B pinned this topic

Bigs them up then gets his excuses ready and they ARE excuses. Players still gelling, not the right mentality, he always puts it all on the players without ever accepting any responsibility himself. Wigan brought in more players than we did and they did not have any trouble bedding in - in fact the sort of turnover we saw is pretty normal for any League 1 club. Who really is a new signing that has not done well? Downing, Smallwood, Chapman and Dack have been our better players so far this season while Whittingham has looked better of late. The rest of our starting eleven against Portsmouth were already here last season.

Pick the same team as last weekend - just do that TM and most on here will be happy that we had a go even if we lose a thriller.

All this TRY and take the game to them IF WE CAN. What do you mean IF Tony. You said yourself , with the squad you have, top two or your not fit to manage. Secondly how can you say DG was the only player playing in the team from last time we played them, then, back it up with the team has a losing mentality from last year when the vast majority are new players YOU brought in and the remaining ones you have had 9 MONTHS to motivate and eradicate this losing mentality and instill confidence , which is the main aspect of the Job role you took on. If someone can be arsed to check how many Wigan players are playing from last time we played I would wager it's not far off a new team barring maybe 3-4. I have seriously lost all patience with the bloke after that. Uninspiring is not the word. To say the team lack confidence then say IF we can and HOPEFULLY get results . It's you that lacks confidence Tony and now the fans are losing it in you. 

Enough is enough. Stop with the excuses. Talk like you have confidence in the players and maybe they will respond with confidence in you. Stop giving the players excuses and reasons to fail before a ball is kicked. Stop with the guardiola school of tactical genius and get 11 players to put their bodies on the line , hearts on their sleeves and drag ourselves out of the piss poor standard league. Puts some points on the board or go

Standards and expectation is being dumbed down NO MORE

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Just checked. The wigan team we beat 1-0 in march. That line up has three players who played and beat Blackpool last weekend. Assuming that was their best possible team and due to the result it shouldn't be to dissimilar tomorrow. 

They finished below us and HAD a losing mentality. They had a huge turnover of players. The only difference is the manager. Hmmmm.

Oh and they are firmly on course for automatic promotion with ( I'm guessing) a far inferior wage budget

13 hours ago, jw_ said:

After first "bigging up" the opposition and saying how tough it's going to be, he then in the last paragraph contradicts himself. He does this every week and I fail to see how that can motivate anybody. 

I feel the same, it's like the players already have an out if they lose and he does this all the time.  Just.fire.the guys up, feed em some raw meat and send em out.

12 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just checked. The wigan team we beat 1-0 in march. That line up has three players who played and beat Blackpool last weekend. Assuming that was their best possible team and due to the result it shouldn't be to dissimilar tomorrow. 

They finished below us and HAD a losing mentality. They had a huge turnover of players. The only difference is the manager. Hmmmm.

Oh and they are firmly on course for automatic promotion with ( I'm guessing) a far inferior wage budget

That Wigan side were possibly the worst I have seen at Ewood.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jw_ said:

Rovers boss Tony Mowbray is relishing the visit to Wigan on Saturday. At his pre-match press conference Mowbray said

"I think based on the results Wigan have produced at home, it suggests it’s going to be pretty tough, They play as a team and they’re good with the ball. They’re controlled and ask questions of you. Wigan have some exceptional individual talent at this level, so it’s a game we have to really focus on. Let’s go there and enjoy it. We want to test ourselves. We have to play our game and let the match unfold in front of us, really. It’s difficult to predict how it’s going to be."

Mowbray added "We’ll make sure we carry a goal threat, make sure we know where the space is on the pitch and exploit it. I think they have very good technical players who can keep the ball well. They have a lot of quality in their team, but hopefully we have more athleticism. I think it will be a pretty tactical game, a good game with a lot of good players on the pitch. Let’s see how it goes. It would be nice to get the three points, however we might get them. Let’s go there and be positive and try to take the game to them if we can."

Mowbray also talked about the huge turnover of players at the club and the need for stability "The away game at Wigan last season, only Danny Graham started that game so that shows the turnover of players there has been at this club, We have had a huge turnover of players since then. I’m conscious that people think these are excuses but I genuinely think that on the training ground the players are still bedding in and the players are understanding the way that we play."

The Rovers boss is hoping to change the mentality at the club going forward "Those that have been here a while have to get out of the mentality of expecting another defeat and we have to change the mentality to a winning one rather than one of it being another tough game. It’s not easy to do, it will take time. You can’t just sprinkle magic dust on a team and they start winning, there’s a process you have to go through. Hopefully as quick as we can we can become a team that expects to win every week and we demand high standards of each other and you don’t play if you don’t reach it."

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer is he? No chance we'll be going up under him.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.