BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Fleetwood

14 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Whilst it was a shocker from him he’s saved us many times this season - including last night. Also, I don’t think Conway(?) giving him pelters for it right after will have helped with his fragile confidence. Very unprofessional from a supposed dressing room leader (apologies Craig if it wasn’t you but looked like it).

To be truthful his fragile confidence should see him on the bench. I really want to see some sabre rattling and fist pumping from our players but at times there is nothing. If Raya is too precious to be publicly berated after costing us points then he is in the wrong game.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

To be truthful his fragile confidence should see him on the bench. I really want to see some sabre rattling and fist pumping from our players but at times there is nothing. If Raya is too precious to be publicly berated after costing us points then he is in the wrong game.

Personally I’d have preferred said player to have grabbed the ball and ran it to the halfway line, giving him a rollicking behind closed doors. But anyway, I digress.

I reckon you’ll get your wish in seeing Luetwiler this weekend, so let’s see if he fairs any better. Big unknown quantity.

If the squad is good enough, which it should be given the resources available and financial commitment made, then we should be doing a lot better than we are in terms of performances, consistency and results/league position. The fact we aren't comes down to the manager who sets them up, coaches them and picks them.

If the squad isn't good enough then serious questions need to be asked of this manager who has been well backed, and has signed/retained the majority of this squad.

If this squad isn't good enough given a summer transfer window and £1 million+ to spend and no major sales then why on earth does Mowbray deserve January to do further business? If the squad isn't good enough to get close to the top 2 then he has to take responsibility for that and I'd be very concerned about allowing him more time to make signings and spend limited money in future transfer windows.

This all runs in tandem with the boardroom fiasco that some want to try and ignore or accept. The reason being that a D of F, CEO or interested Chairman would have worked alongside Mowbray this summer and wouldn't have given him carte blanche to sign whoever he liked. They would also have Mowbray in the office Monday morning demanding improvement, whilst doing everything in their power to help him achieve that. Not at Rovers though, carry on regardless.

First goal down to Mulgrew failing to win a header and Raya badly at fault for the second.  Individual errors continue to cost us but I think arbitro hit the nail on the head when he talks about our sedate pace.   The majority of teams in this League play a high tempo, pressing game while we stroll around passing backwards and sideways looking for the perfect pass but then usually just lump it forward to nobody in particular.  Our defence looks fragile, midfield is totally one paced and uninspiring and the front players struggle to make any impact against the physicality of this League.  We get odd flashes when we look decent but for the most part we look very much run of the mill Third Division fodder.  The manager needs to forget the purist stuff about teaching which he has spoken about and become more pragmatic and more pro-active.  I thought last night showed how much we missed Bennett's energy in getting up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.  He might not be the most skilful footballer you'll ever see but his commitment is something too many of our players lack.

Unlike the Championship teams don't need alot of quality to get out of this division and there's no doubt some of our players have ability. But you get nowhere without commitment, energy and bloody hard work and in most games we look like we're out for a Sunday stroll. The manager needs to forget his game theories and constant tinkering with the formation and instill a work ethic in the team. 

5 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

First goal down to Mulgrew failing to win a header and Raya badly at fault for the second.  Individual errors continue to cost us but I think arbitro hit the nail on the head when he talks about our sedate pace.   The majority of teams in this League play a high tempo, pressing game while we stroll around passing backwards and sideways looking for the perfect pass but then usually just lump it forward to nobody in particular.  Our defence looks fragile, midfield is totally one paced and uninspiring and the front players struggle to make any impact against the physicality of this League.  We get odd flashes when we look decent but for the most part we look very much run of the mill Third Division fodder.  The manager needs to forget the purist stuff about teaching which he has spoken about and become more pragmatic and more pro-active.  I thought last night showed how much we missed Bennett's energy in getting up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.  He might not be the most skilful footballer you'll ever see but his commitment is something too many of our players lack.

Some of us have been saying all this for weeks, if not months. Maybe a change of manager is needed?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Some of us have been saying all this for weeks, if not months. Maybe a change of manager is needed?

If we had people at the club who could make that decision and have a shortlist lined up you may have a point.  We don't.  Last time we made a change it was Senior who finally persuaded the owners to make a change and he appointed Mowbray.  Now we would have to wait for Suhail to find the time to fly to Pune to talk to Balaji and pull a name out of a hat.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

If we had people at the club who could make that decision and have a shortlist lined up you may have a point.  We don't.  Last time we made a change it was Senior who finally persuaded the owners to make a change and he appointed Mowbray.  Now we would have to wait for Suhail to find the time to fly to Pune to talk to Balaji and pull a name out of a hat.

Sad but true !

Positives:

- Conway looked fitter and had a good game, MOTM for me. Seems to work well with Nyambe.

- Nuttall looked the real deal, looked more dangerous than any of our other strikers. How Mowbray has been ignoring him is difficult to understand.

Negatives:

- Antonson: never has the ball under full control. How he has become a professional footballer I don't know. Waste of shirt.

- Mowbray's tactics. Far too slow and negative. Every team now is going to come to Ewood and follow Fleetwood's template of sitting deep and hitting on the break. We can't break teams down.

- Ewood is completely devoid of atmosphere. Complete opposite to away games where our fans are probably the best in the league.

- Whittingham has had his chance now and should be dropped. He does nothing other than pass sdieways and back. I lost count of the number of 50:50s he bottled out of. Evans should come back in for him.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Someone came up with Warnock and had him interviewed pre Senior. Obviously it was too much to actually get the job done but there must have been someone somewhere with a modicum of football knowledge. And in fairness all Senior did was follow the same parameters as when Coyle and Lambert were appointed (and Warnock) which is 'on the dole and cheap'. Cheston even admitted that was the defining criteria which had to be met. The other unspoken criteria was promotion from the Championship (Coyle, Lambert. Mowbray, Warnock). It's changed a bit now because we are a division lower. So the question  is,   is there anyone out there on the dole who once got promoted from League 1? I honestly believe that is as far as their search will go. They'll probably even google it...and then choose the cheapest.

Mowbray, on the evidence so far, has not got a cat in hells chance of Top 2. He won't change the way he plays because he doesn't really know how. He's more suited to La Liga than League 1. Top 6 is probably our best hope. I'd go and offer the job to Grayson today. His style is more suited to League 1. Pragmatic football that gets results. He also put a lot of faith in the young lads at North End.

The one thing that I have noticed is that Mowbray seems obsessed with talking about what the opposition could do and does not focus enough on the strengths that we have.  It seems that each week he sends out a team that is designed to deal with whatever he perceives as their strengths (hence the constant tinkering with personnel and formation) rather than being positive and trying to impose our strengths onto the opposition.  As Parson says he is a manager with some firm ideals of how the game should be played but as proved during his time at Coventry and thus far this season with Rovers those ideals are not compatible with League 1 football. 

Bolton are a classic example they are a team with very limited ability built on a tight budget, they got out of this league last year by adopting a high energy and direct approach. 

20 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He'd have to sort out more urgent business before that like arranging another expensive party, driving Balaji down to the shops and polishing his fleet of luxury cars.

Just after he's picked up Balaji's dry cleaning he could get round to sorting out a new manager for Rovers.

1 minute ago, Kamy100 said:

The one thing that I have noticed is that Mowbray seems obsessed with talking about what the opposition could do and does not focus enough on the strengths that we have.  It seems that each week he sends out a team that is designed to deal with whatever he perceives as their strengths (hence the constant tinkering with personnel and formation) rather than being positive and trying to impose our strengths onto the opposition.  As Parson says he is a manager with some firm ideals of how the game should be played but as proved during his time at Coventry and thus far this season with Rovers those ideals are not compatible with League 1 football. 

Bolton are a classic example they are a team with very limited ability built on a tight budget, they got out of this league last year by adopting a high energy and direct approach. 

Again, all stuff that has been talked about on here for weeks.

43 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

You’re right of course Parson, but all you’re doing there is giving up. Has everyone at the club given up - because they very well might have done. Nope, those remaining fans, if they really want things to change should never accept crap. They should never accept anything other than total commitment from everyone at Ewood.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We play the ball standing still too often, we give the ball to players in bad positions too often, we don't take responsibility individually and collectively. We don't work hard enough.

I'm tired of saying these things.

I'm tired of watching it week in week out

Disappointed to wake up and Mowbray isn’t gone , it’s not working, don’t wait until it’s too late. We have been woeful this season however despite that we are top 6, give the team a shot in the arm with a constructive managerial change and get us up this year. Yes I would take Grayson 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

The name out of the hat would be a desperado on a certain agency books given to pasha... Until these clowns leave the club won't move forward 

David Lowe struggling youth coach now first team coach why act surprised.

First rule of centre back play - Win your headers. Second rule of centre back play- If you can't win the header make sure you're opponent can't win it cleanly either.

Mulgrew did neither.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's my view as well. We don't look anything like a well coached team. We can't even do the basics properly most of the time.

Doubt the players will be inspired by Lowe one bit I'd imagine.

Archived