BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Fleetwood

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

The one thing that I have noticed is that Mowbray seems obsessed with talking about what the opposition could do and does not focus enough on the strengths that we have.  It seems that each week he sends out a team that is designed to deal with whatever he perceives as their strengths (hence the constant tinkering with personnel and formation) rather than being positive and trying to impose our strengths onto the opposition.  As Parson says he is a manager with some firm ideals of how the game should be played but as proved during his time at Coventry and thus far this season with Rovers those ideals are not compatible with League 1 football. 

Bolton are a classic example they are a team with very limited ability built on a tight budget, they got out of this league last year by adopting a high energy and direct approach. 

Funnily enough this was picked up as early as the first game of the season by the Southend fan that posted here.

Try and play clever formations to nullify the opposition and you come unstuck in this league, play your strongest available 11 and you should be ok.

Tony's over thinking I believe has cost us at least 3-4 wins this season already 

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rigger said:

It has amazed me in all games this season, how Raya has looked to get the ball out wide quickly, presumably to start an attack, only for the receiving player to either stop with the ball or come back towards our goal.

It worked once to great effect vs Wigan last season when a quick ball out found Emnes in a wide area and he put it away and we held on to win the game 1-0. On that occasion it was Steele who launched the ball. One of those blue moon moments where we quickly and ruthlessly countered the opposition and opened them up and punished them.

Since that day we've tried it frequently and it has achieved nothing other than surrendering the ball straight back to the opposition who then launch another attack.

And here I am once again, finding myself on the verge of reality check at the early stages of the season. Like I've found myself every bloody year for seven years in a row now.

We are not fighting for the straight promotion this year. There goes that. We are fighting for the place in playoffs. In which I have absolutely no faith in our changes if nothing changes.

Just hoping there will be no second reality check after January or so. If so, I'm afraid it will not be upwards. It never has been.

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Looks like Downing. It's frustration. We've thrown one lead away, we claw our way back in front and then Raya does that. It's a soft arse attempt from someone who looks like he doesn't want to get clattered by the CH. I think he got justifiably hammered.

Having  seen the replay Raya was at fault but were it not for him last night we'd have  been two or three goals behins by that point comfortably. He even made a great save immediately before the first goal but none of his team mates could be arsed getting to the rebound first.

He really is the least of our problems. Some of the senior players should be looking at their own performances first before digging him out in public.

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

First goal down to Mulgrew failing to win a header and Raya badly at fault for the second.  Individual errors continue to cost us but I think arbitro hit the nail on the head when he talks about our sedate pace.   The majority of teams in this League play a high tempo, pressing game while we stroll around passing backwards and sideways looking for the perfect pass but then usually just lump it forward to nobody in particular.  Our defence looks fragile, midfield is totally one paced and uninspiring and the front players struggle to make any impact against the physicality of this League.  We get odd flashes when we look decent but for the most part we look very much run of the mill Third Division fodder.  The manager needs to forget the purist stuff about teaching which he has spoken about and become more pragmatic and more pro-active.  I thought last night showed how much we missed Bennett's energy in getting up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.  He might not be the most skilful footballer you'll ever see but his commitment is something too many of our players lack.

Sorry Parson, can't let that nonsense about Bennett go unchallenged, he is probably the laziest player we've got (and that's saying something) and if he and Conway are Mowbray's leaders in the dressing room it's little wonder the players only turn up once in a while when they feel like it.

Thank goodness we had his alleged industry on tbe pitch agaist Southend, Doncaster, Wimbledon and Plymouth though. It clearly made all the difference.

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry Parson, can't let that nonsense about Bennett go unchallenged, he is probably the laziest player we've got (and that's saying something) and if he and Conway are Mowbray's leaders in the dressing room it's little wonder the players only turn up once in a while when they feel like it.

Thank goodness we had his alleged industry on tbe pitch agaist Southend, Doncaster, Wimbledon and Plymouth though. It clearly made all the difference.

You can question his ability , you can question if he should start but you can never ever doubt his effort and commitment. 

5 hours ago, JAL said:

David Lowe struggling youth coach now first team coach why act surprised.

This guy is one of the least inspiring football guys I've ever seen.  I think watching him on the pitch pre match is embarrassing.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

You can question his ability , you can question if he should start but you can never ever doubt his effort and commitment. 

Sorry couldn't be further from the truth imo. Bennett has played 45 mins this season in the first half against Rotherham when he was excellent. Other than that when does he ever try to beat a man, get to the bye-line or make anything happen? Never. He always takes the easy option making an easy pass without making himself available for the return or dinking in a useless little diagonal ball from deep.

What is that if not being lazy? Who cares if he sporadically does a bit of tracking back? Anyone could do that.It's not as if it is a consistent effort, either, against Oldham he just tucked in  and allowed his opponent the freedom of the pitch.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry couldn't be further from the truth imo. Bennett has played 45 mins this season in the first half against Rotherham when he was excellent. Other than that when does he ever try to beat a man, get to the bye-line or make anything happen? Never. He always takes the easy option making an easy pass without making himself available for the return or dinking in a useless little diagonal ball from deep.

What is that if not being lazy? Who cares if he sporadically does a bit of tracking back? Anyone could do that.It's not as if it is a consistent effort, either, against Oldham he just tucked in  and allowed his opponent the freedom of the pitch.

That imo is down to ability , confidence and reading of the game. All questionable. He never stops running and if nothing else is a fully committed professional.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

It worked once to great effect vs Wigan last season when a quick ball out found Emnes in a wide area and he put it away and we held on to win the game 1-0. On that occasion it was Steele who launched the ball. One of those blue moon moments where we quickly and ruthlessly countered the opposition and opened them up and punished them.

Since that day we've tried it frequently and it has achieved nothing other than surrendering the ball straight back to the opposition who then launch another attack.

the thing with the time that it did work, was that the momentum was carried forward, whereas the other times we end up going backwards, so I don't see the point in Raya trying to rush. 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

First rule of centre back play - Win your headers. Second rule of centre back play- If you can't win the header make sure you're opponent can't win it cleanly either.

Mulgrew did neither.

Don't forget Mulgrew is a midfielder playing out of position. So is Lenihan.

We have one decent centre half in Downing. I don't know whether or not Wharton and Platt are good enough. Ward should resign from playing football; he is that bad (are you reading this Skipton?)

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Don't forget Mulgrew is a midfielder playing out of position. So is Lenihan.

We have one decent centre half in Downing. I don't know whether or not Wharton and Platt are good enough. Ward should resign from playing football; he is that bad (are you reading this Skipton?)

Don't even think about having a Horlicks you can stop up tonight bazza, now you've flushed me out - Regarding ward bradford & Rochdale the 2 away games I've been to to so far & clean sheets ensued apparently he had a mare at Oldham & has lost his place, I'm not going through the home games Doncaster onwards & remembering if he played Doncaster can't remember going off lineups but with score don't think any came out with any credit. Like I reiterate the games I've seen he has been marginally poorer/greater than the others I'm not splitting hairs.

We are in front against Fleetwood at home and end up sharing the points.  Absolutely pathetic!

Unfortunatly I was unable to be at Ewood last night to see this debacle but looking at the posts during the game, it was obvious that Fleetwood would score their second equaliser as was eloquently observed by Wing Wissard Dusty Miller a few minutes before it occurred.

With all due respect to Dusty but if he can see it, why can our coaching staff not and take measures to negate.  Maybe there we have the problem?

4 minutes ago, Skiptonrover said:

Don't even think about having a Horlicks you can stop up tonight bazza, now you've flushed me out - Regarding ward bradford & Rochdale the 2 away games I've been to to so far & clean sheets ensued apparently he had a mare at Oldham & has lost his place, I'm not going through the home games Doncaster onwards & remembering if he played Doncaster can't remember going off lineups but with score don't think any came out with any credit. Like I reiterate the games I've seen he has been marginally poorer/greater than the others I'm not splitting hairs.

I have seen Ward several times. I'm not basing my judgement on the Oldham game.

Believe me, Downing is a far, far better player than Ward and, up to this game, he seemed to be involved in clean sheets. He really is a cool CB who heads well, positions himself well, reads the game well and plays good forward passes when he can.

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

This guy is one of the least inspiring football guys I've ever seen.  I think watching him on the pitch pre match is embarrassing.

Who promoted him as Mowbray wouldn't have known much about him ?

Just now, bazza said:

I have seen Ward several times. I'm not basing my judgement on the Oldham game.

Believe me, Downing is a far, far better player than Ward and, up to this game, he seemed to be involved in clean sheets. He really is a cool CB who heads well, positions himself well, reads the game well and plays good forward passes when he can.

9/10 probably is the best choice the cluster**** which happened last night, I just thought another CH option would have been better, I think they wasn't physical enough on reflection probably doing fleetwood a disservice they played with plenty of zip. Mulgrew didn't have his best game to be honest it was a boring game I was seriously debating on completing a level on candy crush until dack headed in I was that fed up. What happened in the DE when there scored the equaliser saw alot of stewards ejecting someone/someone's?

Just saw the highlights there. Two bad goals to give away. Can anyone answer me why Paul Downing was running away from the play for the first goal. Instead of tackling the fleetwood player it looks like it goes to the side looking for a pass but if he kept going in a straight line he would have cleared the rebound as it came back to where he should have been and of course a Burnley player there to score. I just thought his positioning was very strange. Not sure why he would run from the danger when they look like scoring. Disappointing. 

21 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Just saw the highlights there. Two bad goals to give away. Can anyone answer me why Paul Downing was running away from the play for the first goal. Instead of tackling the fleetwood player it looks like it goes to the side looking for a pass but if he kept going in a straight line he would have cleared the rebound as it came back to where he should have been and of course a Burnley player there to score. I just thought his positioning was very strange. Not sure why he would run from the danger when they look like scoring. Disappointing. 

I have also now seen the highlights and agree with the above. Both Downing and Mulgrew were massively to blame.

The 2nd down to Raya. Utterly pathetic on crosses, which I pointed out last season too. He has the vampire syndrome, a great shame as he is a very good quick reaction shot stopper.

Perhaps time to give the tall Swiss/Canadian full international a start and maybe dispel my believe that he is pants.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I couldn't disagree more with you Rev.  The guy works non-stop for the team.  A few more like Bennett and we would be in the top two.   One of the few players for whom the club and result seems to really matter.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Their first goal - poor challenge on the header, nobody tracking the runner. Our players back on their heels, Cod heads on their toes.

Second goal -  good corner - poor goalkeeping . I don't know what Raya was doing there. Should have been punching the ball clear.

The body language of the players after that goal is very telling. Lots of looking around at each other, nobody grabbing the ball to restart the game. Nobody geeing a team mate up. Anybody who's played will tell you this talk of a good team spirit down at Ewood is tripe. It's times like that when you've conceded a bad goal that good team spirt comes to the fore.

We play the ball standing still too often, we give the ball to players in bad positions too often, we don't take responsibility individually and collectively. We don't work hard enough.

I'm tired of saying these things.

couldn't agree more. it's getting weary watching some of the defending. granted, Mulgrew isn't a CB but is it just me getting the feeling that he seems to be coasting it recently?

He's the captain because he's the most gifted of the bunch and/or that's the way to make him stay, but perhaps we need someone else on the pitch to gee things up. He doesn't strike as the inspirational type, nor is he in a position to inspire by his play. hard to say, but the team seems to have taken on the personality of the captain somewhat.

sort of like what roy keane says:

“When I see Gibbs with the captain’s armband on at the end of the game, you are in big trouble. If he is your captain, your leader, the guy who is going to bring everyone together…you are in huge trouble.”

Archived