BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Hanlon Hibs

den9112

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

In football anything can happen. If we all just refused to offer opinions for fear of being wrong (which certainly seems the case with some posters...ironically the same ones who use them opinions to beat people with later...) then the messageboard would be bland. 

Spot on. The worst kind of posters. Offer nothing themselves, just a running commentary on other people's opinions, past and present.

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think it was the minority that didn't "slate Downing" and that's because they choose to offer no opinion.

However, the rest of the board did as football fans do and look to make a base judgement of a player based on his past exploits. Downing's CV was uninspiring, the signing did seem like a panic, 3rd choice, end of the window gamble and opinions of former clubs weren't flattering. The fact he's proven doubters is wrong is great but the criticism of the signing, if done so in a way in which described, was warranted.

In football anything can happen. If we all just refused to offer opinions for fear of being wrong (which certainly seems the case with some posters...ironically the same ones who use them opinions to beat people with later...) then the messageboard would be bland. 

They offered their opinions without seeing him play. Stupid. 

They deserve to be pulled up on it. No point being a sulky little child about it. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They offered their opinions without seeing him play. Stupid. 

They deserve to be pulled up on it. No point being a sulky little child about it. 

Except i think you were mistaken concerning myself so I'm not sure who exactly you feel deserves to be pulled up? As I stated I certainly don't think I said a word on Downing. 

For the record though I think he's been nothing short of excellent since coming in. He has a look of the Ryan Nelsens about him. Still youngish to learn and make use of excellent facilities around him. Is he related to Keith Downing? 

I did at the time think he was on paper a questionable signing but glad to see him do well. Once again Dreams of 1995 puts it very well.

On a side note I berated the Smallwood signing but he seems to be proving me quite wrong and long may it continue.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Except i think you were mistaken concerning myself so I'm not sure who exactly you feel deserves to be pulled up? As I stated I certainly don't think I said a word on Downing. 

For the record though I think he's been nothing short of excellent since coming in. He has a look of the Ryan Nelsens about him. Still youngish to learn and make use of excellent facilities around him. Is he related to Keith Downing? 

I did at the time think he was on paper a questionable signing but glad to see him do well. Once again Dreams of 1995 puts it very well.

On a side note I berated the Smallwood signing but he seems to be proving me quite wrong and long may it continue.

Fair play. 

Apologies if it wasn't you who was slating Downing. Nelsen, high praise indeed :) very well could be the case that the improved training facilities etc have pushed him on a bit. He is only 25, so hopefully he keeps improving. 

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair play. 

Apologies if it wasn't you who was slating Downing. Nelsen, high praise indeed :) very well could be the case that the improved training facilities etc have pushed him on a bit. He is only 25, so hopefully he keeps improving. 

Ah no need fella glad we are all talking about a player for him doing well. That's not been a case for a while. I always look at modeste he looked a donkey but he's flying these days.

Blackpool still train on community pitches with portacabins which are about 20 years old! Blackburn you come here as a player and it must be fantastic to use our facilities. We may not have the budget if we go up but cases like Downing show you can come here and get great coaching and the best facilities and we've got to learn from this going forwards for it to be a big pull to play for rovers.

Ward and Downing both out of contract at the end of the season which one? I'd go with Downing and I bet he's on at least a fraction of Ward. That's sensible cost cutting if it happens and that's how Cheston and Pune should have looked at it previously because we didn't do that and gradual transition didn't occur.

Just googled he's son of Keith hence the WBA connection so he's definitely come from a good background with 200 apps plus at 25/26. 

The nelsen factor he has a similar style in build and sometimes how he positions himself on the pitch. If he can thunder into something like Ryan il be rover the moon. He's a bit like Ryan where it's not a hoof exactly but a long ball to a target, I've noticed it twice now which is what reminded me of the admiral! Besides Nelsem didn't start playing till he was 24? Arguably one of the best signings this club has ever made.

Id love to see Downing kick on! He's settled Mulgrew who I thought was shaky early in this year. I'd like to see Mulgrew as a sitter from January if we can get another CB in.

3 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Ah no need fella glad we are all talking about a player for him doing well. That's not been a case for a while. I always look at modeste he looked a donkey but he's flying these days.

Blackpool still train on community pitches with portacabins which are about 20 years old! Blackburn you come here as a player and it must be fantastic to use our facilities. We may not have the budget if we go up but cases like Downing show you can come here and get great coaching and the best facilities and we've got to learn from this going forwards for it to be a big pull to play for rovers.

Ward and Downing both out of contract at the end of the season which one? I'd go with Downing and I bet he's on at least a fraction of Ward. That's sensible cost cutting if it happens and that's how Cheston and Pune should have looked at it previously because we didn't do that and gradual transition didn't occur.

Just googled he's son of Keith hence the WBA connection so he's definitely come from a good background with 200 apps plus at 25/26. 

The nelsen factor he has a similar style in build and sometimes how he positions himself on the pitch. If he can thunder into something like Ryan il be rover the moon. He's a bit like Ryan where it's not a hoof exactly but a long ball to a target, I've noticed it twice now which is what reminded me of the admiral! Besides Nelsem didn't start playing till he was 24? Arguably one of the best signings this club has ever made.

Id love to see Downing kick on! He's settled Mulgrew who I thought was shaky early in this year. I'd like to see Mulgrew as a sitter from January if we can get another CB in.

Ya , poor old Ward is a real stinker. I can't think of many positives on him unfortunately. Maybe he has completely lost his pace with the years catching up on him and injuries etc, but I can't remember ever seeing such a slow player in a Rovers jersey? 

That's crazy about Blackpool. Was it the same set up when they were in the Premier league?

18 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Are Blackpool still training on that patch of land near the Airport? I see Fleetwood have or are getting a spunky new state of the art training facility, maybe Blackpool need another ground share for training as they do for their youth teams.

20 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya , poor old Ward is a real stinker. I can't think of many positives on him unfortunately. Maybe he has completely lost his pace with the years catching up on him and injuries etc, but I can't remember ever seeing such a slow player in a Rovers jersey? 

That's crazy about Blackpool. Was it the same set up when they were in the Premier league?

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Are Blackpool still training on that patch of land near the Airport? I see Fleetwood have or are getting a spunky new state of the art training facility, maybe Blackpool need another ground share for training as they do for their youth teams.

The very same "facilities" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3030302/How-Blackpool-laughing-stock-sorry-story-Oyston-mess.html

fleetwoods are cost almost 12 million, numerous pitches etc. Andy Pilley has been fantastic for them.

14 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

The very same "facilities" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3030302/How-Blackpool-laughing-stock-sorry-story-Oyston-mess.html

fleetwoods are cost almost 12 million, numerous pitches etc. Andy Pilley has been fantastic for them.

Andy Pilley is the polar opposite of Venkys and a modern day Jack Walker, perhaps on a smaller scale though.

Archived