BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smart Meters

Hi chaps,

I recently got the offer to have a smart meter installed. I’ve had a look round the internet, and from what I can see, the response to them doesn’t seem to be too positive. However, these are from people who don’t actually have them. Therefore,  does anyone have / know someone who has one? Would they be better than a fixed billing plan I currently have ? 

Any posts positive/ negative would be most appreciated!

Called up some time ago about that having already expressed interest online. At the time think they said the meters were having technical problems and they would get back to me. My Mum just got offered one and she's with the same provider E.ON. She didn't express any interest in one beforehand so not sure why she's been offered one before me. She's on a quarterly paper bill (she can't use a computer so really the only change would be how info is presented and charges worked out) and I'm on PAYG so maybe they are offering more to the former first.

I would prefer the smart meter (as long as it works properly) as you can top up online. So basically I'm just trying to avoid more trips to the shop lol.

I'd love a smart meter (just because I'm too lazy to keep submitting the meter readings) however I have been told I can't have one as they don't support economy 7 at the moment. I'm tempted to ask them to convert me back to a standard meter and then get the smart meter.

6 hours ago, Biddy said:

I'd love a smart meter (just because I'm too lazy to keep submitting the meter readings) however I have been told I can't have one as they don't support economy 7 at the moment. I'm tempted to ask them to convert me back to a standard meter and then get the smart meter.

Not sure who your supplier is but I know Eon do smart meters for economy 7

I don’t have a smart meter though considered it:

PROS

My impression is I could analyse our useage and possibly save money. However I’m already rigorous about turning off unnecessary lights, standby modes etc. so wouldn’t expect a saving.

CONS

First never trust an energy company - ever. The Big 6 don’t supply smart meters for our benefit, that’s the marketing hype. The smart meter is for their benefit - it’s another way to get your data. Their function, naturally, is to maximise profit and I understand that. However those profits are partly achieved through an overly complex pricing matrix and exploiting those least able to pay - prepaid cards etc. The Big 6 are untrustworthy.

Second I suspect if one switches supply there could be issues. I generally switch every year *** and for the last three years have not been with the Big 6. My concern would be if Company “A” installs a smart meter when I switch to Company “B,” then “C”etc. any meter issues will always be blamed on the installing company. I’d be stuck in the middle.

*** As an aside everyone should check their deal annually and switch if possible. My energy payments have dropped from £108/monthly three years ago to £73 today - £420 saving per annum. I expect my actual cost to come in at £750-775 this year. 

If anyone fancies switching it needs a bit of research. Find your actual consumption, unit cost and standing charge. Use these to calculate the annual cost before making a decision. It’s best to check all three charges; low unit cost can be subsidised by high standing charges, often a company will offer cheap electricity and high gas and vice versa. It can be worth paying more for the one you use less of to get a cheaper deal on the other.

I think it’s essential to do the calculations oneself because each situation is unique. It’s impossible for an energy company to be precise in every situation. 

Small start ups are usually cheapest. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was meant to get a smart meter installed last Saturday.

I say meant as the installer turned up and saw me coughing and turned around and walked back to his van saying he wouldn't be doing the job as he didn't want to catch the flu.

I have a chronic illness which is classed as a disability and so the coughing was nothing to do with any cold or anything! A complaint was soon put in with EDF. To be fair to them this guy was from a third party, Morrison Data or something, but how rude can you be?? Considering I am on EDF priority service for my disability too. They said I will get compensation for my troubles but not the point.

Don't think I will be asking him to come back somehow, so manual meters for me!

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2017 at 07:05, Paul said:

I don’t have a smart meter though considered it:

PROS

My impression is I could analyse our useage and possibly save money. However I’m already rigorous about turning off unnecessary lights, standby modes etc. so wouldn’t expect a saving.

CONS

First never trust an energy company - ever. The Big 6 don’t supply smart meters for our benefit, that’s the marketing hype. The smart meter is for their benefit - it’s another way to get your data. Their function, naturally, is to maximise profit and I understand that. However those profits are partly achieved through an overly complex pricing matrix and exploiting those least able to pay - prepaid cards etc. The Big 6 are untrustworthy.

Second I suspect if one switches supply there could be issues. I generally switch every year *** and for the last three years have not been with the Big 6. My concern would be if Company “A” installs a smart meter when I switch to Company “B,” then “C”etc. any meter issues will always be blamed on the installing company. I’d be stuck in the middle.

*** As an aside everyone should check their deal annually and switch if possible. My energy payments have dropped from £108/monthly three years ago to £73 today - £420 saving per annum. I expect my actual cost to come in at £750-775 this year. 

If anyone fancies switching it needs a bit of research. Find your actual consumption, unit cost and standing charge. Use these to calculate the annual cost before making a decision. It’s best to check all three charges; low unit cost can be subsidised by high standing charges, often a company will offer cheap electricity and high gas and vice versa. It can be worth paying more for the one you use less of to get a cheaper deal on the other.

I think it’s essential to do the calculations oneself because each situation is unique. It’s impossible for an energy company to be precise in every situation. 

Small start ups are usually cheapest. 

In terms of you listing the Cons and stating a smart meter is for the energy companies benefit this isn't accurate at all. The smart meter roll-out is a government mandate and is costing every energy company a phenomenal amount of money. Hundreds of pounds per duel fuel install. If it were up to the energy companies themselves they simply wouldn't be installing the meters on this scale. It makes zero financial sense for them. 

In terms of switching if this is something you do often then yes getting a smart meter right now is not necessarily the smartest decision as you will be able to do so but upon switching suppliers your meter will still work but will lose its smart function. It will essentially still work but exactly the same as a "dumb" (non smart meter) where you will once again have to submit readings to your supplier. There will be an upgrade in smart this year (SMETS 2)  which will counter this and you will then be able to instantaneously switch suppliers so if you switch often it may be worth waiting for this. 

The entire reason smart meters are being introduced is an effort of the uk government to comply with reducing carbon emissions. The idea being by educating customers in real time about their usage that customers will become increasingly savvy about saving electricity and gas, giving the customer cheaper bills, whilst also having a positive environmental impact. As already said the other benefits for customers include not having to submit your meter readings and always getting accurate bills. You will also get a smart energy tracker (a handheld device). You look back through your historic usage and analyse why you've seen peaks in usage. It can also be helpful for if you've been nagging the kids about turning off the lights or heating. However if you are concerned about your energy company obtaining too much information about you they cannot see anything but the readings which come through. They cannot obtain any other information from your property. You also have the option to specify how often your readings are sent through. You have the option of half-hourly, daily or monthly if you are concerned about how much data is being collected. 

In regards to regularly looking at switching tariffs or suppliers. Absolutely, go for it. Just like with anything shop around and you may be able to find a bargain. 

All the above is factual and not taken from comical websites talking about dying plants etc when they are near your meters (anyone use a mobile phone...They use the same signals). 

E:ON contacted me about replacing my existing meters with their smart meter.  I booked an appointent with them and they said they would call between 08:00 - 16:00.  I waited in for them and they never turned up or gave any reason why.  They haven't replied to my online complaint either and no apology has been forthcoming.

@ben_the_beast yes I know you’re correct in all of your post though I would counter some of your points.

The rollout is costing the energy companies millions at the request of the government. I would argue, while it may be very difficult to pin point how, this cost is ultimately paid by the consumer.

Educating the consumer? Yes, very important but I think this will only influence people who are already savvy in the area. One could point to numerous government initiatives to influence consumer behaviour - as very quick examples, alcohol use, exercise initiatives, obesity issues, etc. - which in my view have virtually zero impact. This I would argue is in the same league.

As I posted earlier my monthly DD is down from a peak of £108 to £73. Yesterday I received my December bill and after deducting this I am, coincidentally £73.67 in credit. Tomorrow my January DD goes out putting me £146 in credit on a contract which ends in March. Over the 12 months I expect to have reduced my bill, again, by +/-£100 without a smart meter.

There are two points here. Savings are achieved through common sense. Switch off lights, don’t heat rooms you don’t need - we don’t heat 4 out of 8 rooms other than to set the radiator thermostat at 1, shut doors, live at 19C not 21, keep a couple of “throws” in the lounge for the cool period from 9.30 to 10.30pm before going to bed. Wear a sweater. Locate the thermostat in the most used area - we physically move ours from one room to another daytime to evening as we don’t use the lounge in the day but do in the evening!!

The second point is clear and simple tariffs. You clearly have good knowledge on the subject and will know as well as I deciding on the cheapest supplier needs a spreadsheet, last year’s consumption, standing charge details, unit cost, online discount, to use dual fuel or not, etc. Ridiculously complicated.

I don’t disagree with your post but equally I don’t believe smart meters will have any impact other than to tick a green box. Simple tariffs and commonse advice on energy use would be far more effective.

After alot of experimentation I've found it more efficient and cost effective to keep all rooms at even temperatures with the doors open or ajar. Thermostats are never less than 3 or 4 and obviously higher in rooms that are used more. This keeps the house warmer throughout and keeps the heating working gently and not having to fire up and work hard resulting from the big temperature dips when cold air comes out from rooms that aren''t used often. It's not good practice to let rooms get cold, particularly bedrooms, and can lead to other problems. 

As for lights, I was trained from an early age to switch off lights in rooms that aren't being used. When you leave home and live with other people, however, you realise some folk are untrainable. 

Apart from looking at it for a week when you get a smart meter, you arent likely to use it after that imo. Where it does come in handy is not having to send your supplier meter readings.

So it great if your lazy like me. For me a greater thing to get is a smart thermostat. I think the savings are potentially far greater with them than a smart meter. Thats how I've found it anyway

6 hours ago, Roving Mick said:

E:ON contacted me about replacing my existing meters with their smart meter.  I booked an appointent with them and they said they would call between 08:00 - 16:00.  I waited in for them and they never turned up or gave any reason why.  They haven't replied to my online complaint either and no apology has been forthcoming.

You can claim £30 for each missed appointment, so if they were supposed to change both gas and electric you should get £60

3 hours ago, Paul said:

@ben_the_beast yes I know you’re correct in all of your post though I would counter some of your points.

The rollout is costing the energy companies millions at the request of the government. I would argue, while it may be very difficult to pin point how, this cost is ultimately paid by the consumer.

The cost has been added onto the bill the customer pays the energy supplier

Article on the downside of Smart Metering

Archived