BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale v Rovers Tuesday 7th Nov.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

That only applies to the academy teams that are in the competition, the rules for league 1 and 2 clubs is that you must field at least 4 of the players that played in your last league match.

Cheers. If we  did indeed field the minimum 4, Im sure it could have been shuffled around differently to accomodate Tomlinson.

Edit: in fact thinking about it, who were the 4 as Bennett was suspended for the last League game.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Any views on the red card ?

I was a long way from the incident but the referee was quick with the card and I didn't see too many questioning his decision. Endangering the safety of an opponent is now high on the referees list and reading the comments from Rich Sharpe in the Telegraph he estimated it was throat high.

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spoke to someone who went to the game last night Tyrone and he thought Wharton could have no complaints at all about being sent off, said his boot was neck high!

I may be wrong but I don't think intent is required these days for a card to be produced being reckless will suffice.

Nevertheless I hope Mowbray doesn't use the incident as an excuse not to play Wharton forever and a day and that it isn't a further 12 months before we see him turning out for the first team again.

You are correct in that the word intent (with regard to challenges) was removed from the Laws of the Game several years ago. With regard to foul play once contact is made the referee has to determine whether it is careless (just a free-kick), reckless (yellow card) or dangerous/endangering the safety of an opponent (red card).

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Cheers. If we  did indeed field the minimum 4, Im sure it could have been shuffled around differently to accomodate Tomlinson.

Edit: in fact thinking about it, who were the 4 as Bennett was suspended for the last League game.

I'm not sure if that 4 were players that started or who were in the match day squad for the last game to be honest, and it could be the last "competitive" games rather than the last league game so that would be Barnet in the cup.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I'm not sure if that 4 were players that started or who were in the match day squad for the last game to be honest, and it could be the last "competitive" games rather than the last league game so that would be Barnet in the cup.

Would be a cracking night's work if we fielded what we considered to be a strong side to progress in the competition, got dumped out anyway, and got fined 5k for breaching the competition rules!

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I was a long way from the incident but the referee was quick with the card and I didn't see too many questioning his decision. Endangering the safety of an opponent is now high on the referees list and reading the comments from Rich Sharpe in the Telegraph he estimated it was throat high.

I agree, I suppose he left the referee with no option. You couldn't really argue it wasn't reckless.

Just now, Skiptonrover said:

You could say that, attempting to decapitate another players head, refs do tend to take a dim view.

I was on the receiving end of a similar " tackle " in my playing days. My shirt had the mark of the 6 studs above the badge and just below the collar. We got a free kick out of it but no cards. I was ok, just like the guy last night. Things were different then.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was on the receiving end of a similar " tackle " in my playing days. My shirt had the mark of the 6 studs above the badge and just below the collar. We got a free kick out of it but no cards. I was ok, just like the guy last night. Things were different then.

I know, it's the intent not whether the victim player was dandy after.

10 minutes ago, renrag said:

I wasn't there so cannot judge but if you say it was reckless then you must say it should be a yellow. If the foot was throat high, then that sounds dangerous which is red regardless of intent

I've known some refs just do for the intent the challenge which was widely acknowledged as reckless, the 2 go hand in hand anyhow. You can't do a Bruce lee manoeuvre & not claim intent.

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Asking you an honest question - would you play Harper and Smallwood again in centre midfield ? If the answer is no who would you leave out ?  If the answer is yes where are the goal scoring chances going to come from ? 

In certain games, yes. At home against a team that came for a draw, I would play Whittingham. How many goalscoring chances does Whittingham create? Not many. I would just tell whoever is playing in midfield to give it to Dack as much as possible, but at least Harper has the energy to get up and down.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

In certain games, yes. At home against a team that came for a draw, I would play Whittingham. How many goalscoring chances does Whittingham create? Not many. I would just tell whoever is playing in midfield to give it to Dack as much as possible, but at least Harper has the energy to get up and down.

I've seen big difference when Whittingham plays versus Evans/Smallwood. The latter one will keep it safe with backwards passing. Whittingham keeps tempo on the ball and is much more likely to bring Dack and the flanks into play. Our transition from defence to attack is much faster with Whittingham.  

1 hour ago, briansol said:

I've seen big difference when Whittingham plays versus Evans/Smallwood. The latter one will keep it safe with backwards passing. Whittingham keeps tempo on the ball and is much more likely to bring Dack and the flanks into play. Our transition from defence to attack is much faster with Whittingham.  

I think that Whittingham is very slow minded, he needs a few seconds to decide where he wants to pass it to (although the ball usually does goes where he wants it to go).

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, I suppose he left the referee with no option. You couldn't really argue it wasn't reckless.

Slightly tongue in cheek but a general attitude of consistently going for the throat in the first team would do for me.

11 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I think that Whittingham is very slow minded, he needs a few seconds to decide where he wants to pass it to (although the ball usually does goes where he wants it to go).

That's his style, kind of like a quarter back. We should have a formation where he is in space and the players around are snapping the ball to him, with the front 4 making runs off their men. It seems we just lump it to the static striker a lot 

I’ve found Whittington to be more effective against teams who are trying to attack (Wigan) compared to where they are just sitting back (Fleetwood). 

To break teams down at home we need a bit more speed and urgency in midfield. Whittington slows things down and doesn’t look to be the assist machine that he was at Cardiff.

7 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I’ve found Whittington to be more effective against teams who are trying to attack (Wigan) compared to where they are just sitting back (Fleetwood). 

To break teams down at home we need a bit more speed and urgency in midfield. Whittington slows things down and doesn’t look to be the assist machine that he was at Cardiff.

Yeah bit of a dick Whittington isn't he? :unsure:

20 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I thought Whittingham had his best game in a Rovers shirt (by far) against Portsmouth. I see what you're saying but I don't think Whittingham is your man if you're under pressure, against Burnley he was pathetic, cowardly in fact.

On 09/11/2017 at 09:56, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's his style, kind of like a quarter back. We should have a formation where he is in space and the players around are snapping the ball to him, with the front 4 making runs off their men. It seems we just lump it to the static striker a lot 

Personally if we are going to have a player in that role, I'd use Mulgrew.

22 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I thought Whittingham had his best game in a Rovers shirt (by far) against Portsmouth. I see what you're saying but I don't think Whittingham is your man if you're under pressure, against Burnley he was pathetic, cowardly in fact.

Against Pompey he had what was needed, forwards that were mobile. He had Chapman with pace, Dack dropping off and Graham who was playng like his old self. Graham also had his best game of the season as well. Coincidence that we fielded three forwards who occupied their defence and each offered something different.

Bennett dropped into midfield as well to offer Whittingham protection

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Against Pompey he had what was needed, forwards that were mobile. He had Chapman with pace, Dack dropping off and Graham who was playng like his old self. Graham also had his best game of the season as well. Coincidence that we fielded three forwards who occupied their defence and each offered something different.

Bennett dropped into midfield as well to offer Whittingham protection

Looks he was playing players in the roles that suit them best. That's a shock.

• J*B unpinned this topic

Archived