BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford away Tuesday

jim mk2

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Quite why Tony Mowbray decided to see the game out with 3 substitutions is beyond me.

I think he took Evans (dizziness/concussion) Dack and Antonnson off.  The last two are in form and our best chance of creating something at the moment. It would be silly not to take them off with a comfortable lead and another game in a few days.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think he took Evans (dizziness/concussion) Dack and Antonnson off.  The last two are in form and our best chance of creating something at the moment. It would be silly not to take them off with a comfortable lead and another game in a few days.

I see.

also good to give game time to the others, it's a squad game. 

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

That's probably because those that go to Oxford on a Tuesday night are Parsonesque. I didn't criticise us at Bury, I didn't criticise us against Portsmouth, I didn't criticise us against Rotherham, I criticised them last night because they deserved criticising, it is nothing to do with pride. Mowbray showed last night why he won't take us up, he's just not bright enough, playing 3 up front when winning maximises the chances of us cocking that game up. I'd say we went from a 5% chance of drawing to a 20% chance of drawing, just because we didn't draw doesn't mean that Mowbray should get away with it.

I assume this is some sort of dig at folk who actually support their football club.  Like arbitro there have been times when I've been critical of the manager for 'overthinking' life in the Third Division.  Last night we set off on the front foot and overwhelmed them in the first 20 minutes and Oxford are a pretty decent side by the standards of this division.  It wasn't a faultless performance by any means but it was one that suggests that the automatic promotion places are not beyond this team.  There were a number of very good performances - Mulgrew was outstanding in his reading of the game; Downing was solid in defence; Bennett and Dack worked non-stop both going forward and in tracking back while young Nuttall worked his socks off up front and once again was in the right place at the right time.  Graham gave a brilliant little cameo at the end in terms of keeping possession in the final third and using his experience to run the clock down.  There is still a lot of work to do but Mowbray is turning this team into a pretty formidable outfit on the road and once again the support for the manager and team from the fans was terrific.  A hugely enjoyable night of football. 

Consistency is the key and it's important that we build on these two wins with another victory against Bristol Rovers.  It's strange that after years of being fragile in away games, it's playing at Ewood which seems to cause us most of our problems.  

I see the two camps are at it again. If TM keeps this up with relatively unchanged teams and continues to set them up to go at teams from the off and thus building up some solid momentum and therefore gaining ground on those above - I will be delighted and will happily hold my hands up. It will go someway to showing that he can perhaps learn and finally seems to know his best team and how to play. 

Does this mean I apologise for not thinking he was the right man for the job after the early part of the season - not really as he and the team were performing well below par. Prove me wrong and get us promoted automatically TM and ill have your name tattooed on my left buttock.

Just now, JacknOry said:

I see the two camps are at it again. If TM keeps this up with relatively unchanged teams and continues to set them up to go at teams from the off and thus building up some solid momentum and therefore gaining ground on those above - I will be delighted and will happily hold my hands up. It will go someway to showing that he can perhaps learn and finally seems to know his best team and how to play. 

Does this mean I apologise for not thinking he was the right man for the job after the early part of the season - not really as he and the team were performing well below par. Prove me wrong and get us promoted automatically TM and ill have your name tattooed on my left buttock.

This post should be saved somewhere...:lol:

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Smallwood is a key player for us. He does a lot of  unseen work off the ball. I suppose he's entitled to the odd game were he's not at his best.

As I said earlier, looking at the highlights, we didn't seem to be busting a gut to get back behind the ball for their second goal. I know we were 4-1 up at the time but promotion winning teams have the mentality to give everything for 90 minutes.

Yeah I really like Smallwood. Definitely one of the better, more complete central midfielders we have had in recent years. He has become the heart of the team. But his role is very demanding and you can't expect the battleaxe performances two times a week every week.

We took out foot off the gas. Teams do that but it's always disheartening to see your team do it as it overshadowed a brilliant first half for me. It's why I'd have liked to have used the chance as 3-0 to see a few of the younger players as opposed to putting Samuel & Graham on but then I suppose TM has to plan for if we aren't 3-0 up and you can't fill a bench with kids away at Oxford.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bad explanation on my part. I meant I can't understand why we ended the game with 3 forwards on because of them substitutions. It was poor game management. It's down to lack of depth really but this is something that has to be addressed in January.

42 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The substitutions gave them a footing. The first half hour we were terrific and applied pressure much like we did versus Rotherham. Mulgrew & Downing seem solid together too.

I don't think it was Smallwood's best game in a Rovers shirt and is perhaps reason to why they got 2. That said the Oxford fan is right in saying we could have had more first half

I don’t see a mention for how he setup a team that blew the opposition away in 22 minutes?

I also don’t see any scope on the subs - ie the enforced change of the injured Evans mentioned? Who would’ve been the preferred alternatives.

28 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

That looks a bit like you're accusing Arbitro of having a 'weak argument' which I'm pretty sure wasn't your intention.

I’m not, I’m agreeing with him hence the “get that man a pint” line.

Just now, JAL said:

Nyambe for Oxford's first could he do better ?

Mm, it's a moot point. If he was Keith Newton or Henning Berg I'd say maybe. As it was he stood the guy up, didn't dive in, and ultimately made the guy pass the ball back inside. That's what defenders are coached to do these days.

You've got to give the Oxford No 10 some credit for making and taking the chance.

Well well only one sensible change to the starting line up after a big win and look what happens, that's consistency Tony :rover: Fantastic result.

This lot look so much better when they are let off the leash from the start of games, still took 4 to be safe in the end but it's much better trying to see games out under a good lead than chasing them after defending for a half then letting in a sloppy goal or two. Looks like a penny has finally dropped so I hope it stays that way, keep on the front foot !

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

I don’t see a mention for how he setup a team that blew the opposition away in 22 minutes?

I also don’t see any scope on the subs - ie the enforced change of the injured Evans mentioned? Who would’ve been the preferred alternatives.

My God you are boring.

Just some quotes from me in this topic:

Overall it was a good performance, no questions about it, but there is definitely scope for improvement which, if you think about it, is a good thing for us. If we can see that there are improvements to be made in a game where we won 4-2 to promotion contenders then we are starting to take shape.

. The first half hour we were terrific and applied pressure much like we did versus Rotherham. Mulgrew & Downing seem solid together too.

We took out foot off the gas. Teams do that but it's always disheartening to see your team do it as it overshadowed a brilliant first half for me. It's why I'd have liked to have used the chance as 3-0 to see a few of the younger players as opposed to putting Samuel & Graham on but then I suppose TM has to plan for if we aren't 3-0 up and you can't fill a bench with kids away at Oxford.

In terms of substitutions I've mentioned that it's down to a lack of depth and even mentioned why he couldn't fill the bench with who my preferred alternatives are:

It's why I'd have liked to have used the chance as 3-0 to see a few of the younger players as opposed to putting Samuel & Graham on but then I suppose TM has to plan for if we aren't 3-0 up and you can't fill a bench with kids away at Oxford.

Bad explanation on my part. I meant I can't understand why we ended the game with 3 forwards on because of them substitutions. It was poor game management. It's down to lack of depth really but this is something that has to be addressed in January

Perhaps read what I post before insinuating something.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

That's probably because those that go to Oxford on a Tuesday night are Parsonesque. I didn't criticise us at Bury, I didn't criticise us against Portsmouth, I didn't criticise us against Rotherham, I criticised them last night because they deserved criticising, it is nothing to do with pride. Mowbray showed last night why he won't take us up, he's just not bright enough, playing 3 up front when winning maximises the chances of us cocking that game up. I'd say we went from a 5% chance of drawing to a 20% chance of drawing, just because we didn't draw doesn't mean that Mowbray should get away with it.

I always try to be objective and your comment in the first sentence is silly. I actually thought we were better last night than at Bury. Going three up in twenty minutes was terrific and during that period we were well on top. Nuttall had a great chance to make it four just before they scored and in the second half they came at us. We had some good, decent and poor individual performances in the game but we won. It wasn't perfect but the win was the most important thing.

I thought a couple of Oxford players were outstanding and Jack Payne gave the best individual performance I have seen in League One this season. He troubled us all night, scored an really good goal and created lots for them.

54 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I always try to be objective and your comment in the first sentence is silly. I actually thought we were better last night at Bury. Going three up in twenty minutes was terrific and during that period we were well on top. Nuttall had a great chance to make it four just before they scored and in the second half they came at us. We had some good, decent and poor individual performances in the game but we won. It wasn't perfect but the win was the most important thing.

I thought a couple of Oxford players were outstanding and Jack Payne gave the best individual performance I have seen in League One this season. He troubled us all night, scored an really good goal and created lots for them.

Who would you prefer Arbi - Dack or Payne ? I haven't seen much this season but Byrne at Oldham was pretty good in a slightly deeper role.

34 minutes ago, JAL said:

Nyambe for Oxford's first could he do better ?

He is a big strong lad, tricky little players like that are always going to be hard to defend against one on one. He stood him up well and didn't dive in. The Oxford players finish was pretty tidy from the angle he was at. A cheeky January bid perhaps? 

Jack Payne looked brilliant. In fact when Oxford played football they played some silky stuff. Defensively they were awful though and lacked physicality.

Dack is the better player though. Brilliant dribbler and strong as an ox, he has this ability to shrug players off and send them flying whilst he cuts back in on them. 

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who you you prefer Arbi - Dack or Payne ? I haven't seen much this season but Byrne at Oldham was pretty good in a slightly deeper role.

It was he first time I have seen Payne (or even heard of him) and first impressions can be misleading at football but he was the best player by a mile. I'm warming to Dack who seems to have had the shackles removed and given a free role. Both are similar and I would like to see more more of Payne so at the moment I would say Dack. Bryne was impressive too but I understand he is inconsistent.

I just read that Payne is o a season long loan from Huddersfield.

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, it's a moot point. If he was Keith Newton or Henning Berg I'd say maybe. As it was he stood the guy up, didn't dive in, and ultimately made the guy pass the ball back inside. That's what defenders are coached to do these days.

You've got to give the Oxford No 10 some credit for making and taking the chance.

My slight criticism of Nyambe was that when the guy received the ball again Nyambe had switched off a bit and thought he'd done his job.

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where in that post was I Abusive? 

Yet again Stuart your post above just shows why you are BRFCS Bigger Sh1t stirrer..

Wasnt abusive or angry or bullying in my.post maybe why I dont like it..

You have your agenda about Mowbray. Who cricitise the manager after a 4-2 away win

Yes you were abusive, you told him he 'should hang his head in shame' for suggesting a 4-2 win could've been even better. I took his general tone as arguing that we cannot get through a season relying on blowing the oppo away in 30mins and need to compete better across the whole 90.

It's a complete overreaction on your part, while you offered nothing in reply to him that constructively argued his points.

For the record, I could understand where was coming from (having essentially watched a '2-1 defeat' after missing the first 30min flurry), but thought his dig at Parson was in poor taste.

6 minutes ago, den said:

Seems like we might be getting to a position to challenge the top two places for automatic promotion for the first time an seven years. Nowt wrong with that.

Hopefully, though I am going to exercise some caution. I keep reminding myself of the good wins at Rochdale, Bradford and Scunthorpe which got us all thinking we had lift off and then at home dropped points against Wimbledon and Plymouth.

We need runs of 4,5,6 wins in a row and need to learn to make Ewood a fortress if we're going to get up there and stay up there. Can't afford sloppiness as seen vs Plymouth and Fleetwood recently.

Didn't the poster being outright negative about the result admit a few pages back that he missed the first 3 goals? Even if some criticism is valid (and perhaps it is, and debate shouldn't be shut down...), what a bizarre, key caveat... "Okay, okay, I didn't see the opening 25 minutes where we absolutely dominated....BUT HAVING SAID THAT..."

1 hour ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/22/three-goals-in-two-games-mowbray-hails-antonssons-position-chang/

what exactly are physical stats? running seems like one of those.

I'd guess running speed, distance covered, perhaps heart rate and recovery if they've got monitors on during training, etc. Doesn't surprise me as while his ability to hold up the ball is questionable, definitely appears to be one of the squad's fittest.

Nice to see Antonsson seems to have found his role. Despite his lack of goals with Leeds, I recall Leeds fans generally liked him but he was stuck behind Chris Wood. His Swedish League goal record suggested he could find the net at this level at least...

We're becoming spoiled for choice up front (which Mowbray's described as a welcome headache) as Dack has hit his stride, Antonsson's getting comfortable, Nuttall's been a nice revelation (though I'm still skeptical), and don't forget Samuel was looking like our main threat not too long ago. All this and we're still waiting on Graham, potentially the best striker in the division barring health, to get into gear. Keeping in mind the recency bias of having scored 7 goals in the last 2, it's hard not to feel positive about our attacking options going forward after sputtering at times to start the year.

Archived