BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford away Tuesday

jim mk2

I'm aware and somewhat understanding of Venky's-based boycotting, but Nyambe-based boycotting is a new one.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At Oxford away fans are housed along the side of the pitch in quite a modern large stand free of supporting pillars. As long as you don't sit in the very corner or the very bottom of the stand then your view is comparable to that of the TV cameras housed in the opposite stand.

I can accept that at many away grounds the view on TV is from a better position than where the away fans are housed - Bury, Oldham, Bradford spring to mind - but at Oxford away fans are actually in one of the best positions in the stadium and one of the best viewpoints of all the grounds I have been on as an away fan.

I second this. Away fans get a fantastic view at Kassam Stadium.

I'll give this RV Blue fella credit for persistence though. I doubt he's ever been defeated by constipation.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Oxford away on a Tuesday night attracts a certain type of fan, I'm not sure how that's insulting. You may be happy when we win no matter what the circumstances are, I'm not, especially in League 1. Playing poorly doesn't stand us in good stead in future matches, and neither does the manager attempting to give the game away. I appreciate a win and a good performance, I don't appreciate poor performances, whether we win or not and for the 70 minutes that I saw, it was our worst performance of the season.

It's a garbage comment in my view.  It implies that you can't be objective because you've spent money going down there.  From the people around me there was the usual mix of people some were quite happy, some were nervy, some were a little over critical.  Certainly didn't feel like one group of happy clappers as you seem to be implying that were just feeble mindedly anjoying anything as they were too simple to know better.

If you think that was even close to our worst performance of the season then I'm not sure how you can even be taken seriously.

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

A lot of people are going a bit OTT on RV imo.

If you start watching AFTER we're 3-0 up (as he did) then the remaining goals add up to a 2-1 'loss' which is all he watched. Over the course of those 60mins (the only thing he's commented on), it looks as if we probably didn't play very well.

I'm sure why that's hard to understand. To describe it as 'shit' is a very bigoted mindset.

Sorry It's almost laughable.  It's the old Life of Brian jokes.  If you ignore, the plumbing, sanitation, roads etc what did the romans actually do for us?

You can't say if you ignore our 3 goals we lost 2-1, the whole context as to why we sat back and were a little disjointed was because we were 3 up.  I fully agree and accept everything after the first 20 minutes wasn't perfect but funnily enough I support Rovers not Barcelona or City so I accept that it's rare we put in a perfect 90.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything, or even half of what Mowbray does, but if he can't get credit in some peoples eyes for Tuesday then that is ridiculous.

Saying 'I only started watching in x minute and we were terrible after that point...even if we won by a couple of goals' is, quite frankly, idiotic. 

I may as well say that I only watched the first 3 minutes of PSG v Celtic last night and thought that Celtic were fantastic.

I'm happy for someone to say 'I only saw the second half and we didn't look great, but I can understand why, and it seems that we were very good in the first half', but to actually be critical of the team for the fraction of the match that you see is really pointless. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

If you start watching AFTER we're 3-0 up (as he did) then the remaining goals add up to a 2-1 'loss' which is all he watched. Over the course of those 60mins (the only thing he's commented on), it looks as if we probably didn't play very well.

I'm sure why that's hard to understand. To describe it as 'shit' is a very bigoted mindset.

Ah Mike. The last bastion of common sense on here.

The first 30 minutes we were were terrific. The remaining 60 we were average: loose in possession, unable to properly get a grip of the game; no fluidity in attack.

Unfortunately RV has pointed this out but said that he missed the first 30 which, for some, means he can't have an opinion on the remainder of the match. He's been wrong in his comments of fans' mindsets but to be hounding him the way some have is ridiculous.

What we shouldn't do is over analyse the game, the subs, the way we set up (this isn't the type of football messageboard for that..) - nope, what we should do, on this messageboard, is spend 8+ pages hounding 1 man for his opinion on the game simply because, by his own admission, he missed part of it.

On the basis of this 'argument' I disagree that it was our worst performance of the season but it was by no stretch of the imagination as good as some of are making out.

47 minutes ago, Manchester Blue said:

You can't say if you ignore our 3 goals we lost 2-1, the whole context as to why we sat back and were a little disjointed was because we were 3 up.  I fully agree and accept everything after the first 20 minutes wasn't perfect but funnily enough I support Rovers not Barcelona or City so I accept that it's rare we put in a perfect 90.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything, or even half of what Mowbray does, but if he can't get credit in some peoples eyes for Tuesday then that is ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Saying 'I only started watching in x minute and we were terrible after that point...even if we won by a couple of goals' is, quite frankly, idiotic. 

I never once said the whole performance was bad though. I have said since my very first post on the topic that I only watched the last 70 minutes and those 70 minutes were the worst I've seen this season. If I had pretended that I had watched the whole game, you might have a point, I didn't though, so you don't have a point.

Eddie, if you think watching 3 minutes of a game is comparable to watching 70 minutes of a game, you need a brain transplant.

4 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Return to the prem with 20k+ gates?

It might one day happen but WITH Venkys? Never. Not even in Boaty's wettest dreams

In any case, attendances rise enormously when you're in the Premier league. The number of away fans was a very significant factor in arriving at our average gate of 25000. It would be again.

Same goes for neutral walk-ons who just want to watch a Premier League game.

You could hardly call any attendees at a Venkys-owned football club "glory hunters" anyway could you? Its a contradiction in terms (like "Army Intelligence"!).

I agree totally with your last sentence.

No, I do have a point, because ignoring the situation and context of the game makes any analysis of the performance pointless. 

You can't tune in when a team is already winning by a couple of goals and then be critical because they may not be as aggressive or as fluid as you might want. 

2 hours ago, J*B said:

To be fair Jose, Big Sam and Fergie have sat in the stands watching a TV feed for the first half to get an idea of how the game was playing out.

That was stopped by the PL after Sam in particular was using the video evidence he had immediate access to to castigate the match officials. I had personal experience of this.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Henry Fonda, I presume!

I have only skimmed through, but you probably have a point.

I listened to the radio commentary from the start of the second half. The message from the commentators was that Rovers had stopped doing what had made them so dominant in the first ( understandable that they couldn't keep up that intensity for 90 minutes, I was thinking..)

Garner said the midfield had lost its shape..that they weren't tracking runners...were panicking...people were going past them like they weren't there etc

. I could hear for myself how we could not hold onto the ball. Even my wife said that it always seemed to be Oxford players on the ball! The fourth goal was crucial. Garner said it was against the run of play.

Nevertheless, it is good that we are able to win well without firing on all cylinders. And we have gained these points without the availability of Lenihan and Chapman.There are definite signs that the team is capable of purple patches.

I think January will be important. Are we still able to bring players in?

Obviously, this depends on signings being made for the right reasons i.e. to strengthen the team. I know that should be a truism for most clubs, but......

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I may as well say that I only watched the first 3 minutes of PSG v Celtic last night and thought that Celtic were fantastic.

I'm happy for someone to say 'I only saw the second half and we didn't look great, but I can understand why, and it seems that we were very good in the first half', but to actually be critical of the team for the fraction of the match that you see is really pointless. 

I make a point of not commenting on a game if I have not seen it in the 'flesh'. You may have an entitlement to comment, but not an entitlement to be believed. !

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

No, I do have a point, because ignoring the situation and context of the game makes any analysis of the performance pointless. 

You can't tune in when a team is already winning by a couple of goals and then be critical because they may not be as aggressive or as fluid as you might want. 

So being 3 goals up gives you a right to look like a disjointed bunch of nervous Norrises passing around a hot potato? Tell that to Liverpool fans after what happened to them on Tuesday, it could have quite easily happened to us.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Most people with a semblance of understanding of football, would anticipate and understand a change in dynamics in game, of tactics/tempo and most importantly; the oppositions level, if you are 3-0 away from home, after 20 minutes. How often does it happen at any level of football?

Without any intention of using this scope, thought process or applying ones mind into the context; this was described as the “worst performance” they’ve seen all season. Hence the necessary and deserved backlash.

Dont defend “The indefensible” mike.

Just now, RV Blue said:

As I said before, if someone questions what I have said, I will answer back...

Take no notice of the critics matey. You tell it like you saw it. We've all got opinions and we're all entitled to them. I saw the highlights and the way we just sauntered back for their second goal left something to be desired.

12 hours ago, bob fleming said:

So you're not going to buy a ticket, but you look forward to seeing him improve? How will that work then? Will you be round at RV's? Perhaps his tele also has a setting to remove any of Nyambes decent play as well as any of our goals? Or maybe there's a "Remove Objectivity" setting? The "7 Yrs+" button.

Thanks for posting that one in a Donald Trump tweet style though! 

Nyambe's decent play what about defending first bob that will be a start afterall that's what's he's paid to do or should be doing.

Hopefully the rest of the team will be strong enough to carry him through..............

5 hours ago, RV Blue said:

So being 3 goals up gives you a right to look like a disjointed bunch of nervous Norrises passing around a hot potato? Tell that to Liverpool fans after what happened to them on Tuesday, it could have quite easily happened to us.

....but it didn't. When it does you will have a genuine gripe.

21 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Read my posts properly before posting your shite take on what I've been saying.

Listen matey. If your going to call something shite look at your own views on this topic. This messageboard has the diverse opinion of a range of people from "Happy Clappers" all the way to "NAPM merchants" . However I can't see anyone agreeing with you on this. So go ask yourself who is talking shite here.

You said: "Asking fans who spent hundreds of pounds to go and watch Rovers on a Tuesday night at the other side of the country if they think we played well doesn't give a true reflection of the views of the average fan.".

Which actually is shite.

So 10 minutes reading through this thread and I've already had enough. Is this what's become of Brfcs? An attention seekers paradise? Why give that account a platform to post absolute bunkum? 

Id like to say it's killing the site, killing the decent debate, but we're way beyond that now.

Oxford was a fantastic away win, keeps us right on track, the manager and team are on the up, pity the sites heading down. 

Just now, Gav said:

So 10 minutes reading through this thread and I've already had enough. Is this what's become of Brfcs? An attention seekers paradise? Why give that account a platform to post absolute bunkum? 

Id like to say it's killing the site, killing the decent debate, but we're way beyond that now.

Oxford was a fantastic away win, keeps us right on track, the manager and team are on the up, pity the sites heading down. 

It's a football forum. It's for people to vent their opinions on. It's Blackburn Rovers not Hitler's Nazi Germany.  I disagree with lots of posters on here. Do I want them silenced ? No. They're entitled to speak out just like you are.

If it bends you out of shape so badly the solution is obvious.

57 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yep. One person stated their opinion on a game and the mob attacked and wouldn't let it lie. We can win and not play well but the hive mind was rattled. Obviously the poster was going to defend themselves.

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

Your post reminds me of the old local guy in the Will Hay classic "Oh Mr Porter"

"You're wasting your time!!"

• Backroom
11 hours ago, Manchester Blue said:

Sorry It's almost laughable.  It's the old Life of Brian jokes.  If you ignore, the plumbing, sanitation, roads etc what did the romans actually do for us?

So despite it being 'laughable', you actually agree with RV Blue's entire point. He thinks we played poorly for the latter 60 minutes.

It is a regular criticism of Rovers since we were relegated from the PL that we only turn up for half a game, so I'm amazed he's been met with such ferocity just because we were 3-0 up when he started watching (and he has been at pains to say he was ONLY commenting on that period of play he saw).

This site is rapidly becoming a parody of itself, with seemingly no opportunity to express an opinion without being hounded by the masses who disagree (even though they are blind to the fact they actually agree, and are just choosing to exclude RV's context by demanding he includes theirs).

Archived