BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford away Tuesday

jim mk2

This will be a new ground for me, so will be making the long trip down south - one the "benefits" of our relegation.  

Anyone else going ?

Oxford had a good away win on Saturday too, so will be full of confidence.

A draw the most likely result. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

This will be a new ground for me, so will be making the long trip down south - one the "benefits" of our relegation.  

Anyone else going ?

Most likely according to who? The bookies have the most likely result as a win for us 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Anyone else going ?

This will be the second visit in two years after last years FA cup tie. I think their ground still only has three stands.

They did have a good win but played against ten men for almost eighty minutes.

Only a win will do for me.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Most likely according to who? The bookies have the most likely result as a win for us 

If the bookies were right every time there'd be no fun in having a bet would there ? 

I can see us fielding the same team, all things being equal, with the possible swapping of Samuel for Nuttall. At the Rochdale game the other day Samuel was looking pretty good when Mowbray took him off so he could have a proper look at Nuttall.

I'd like to see Dack playing in conjunction with Samuel on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If the bookies were right every time there'd be no fun in having a bet would there ? 

I can see us fielding the same team, all things being equal, with the possible swapping of Samuel for Nuttall. At the Rochdale game the other day Samuel was looking pretty good when Mowbray took him off so he could have a proper look at Nuttall.

I'd like to see Dack playing in conjunction with Samuel on Tuesday.

They are right a lot, the feckers. We do seem to throw there predications out the window at times though. 

Its great to have options upfront now. I reckon you are right with your predictions

I'd take a 0-1 here all day 

I can see teams doubling up on Dack going forward. He has played a part in 9 out of 10 of our lat goals. On fire 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Must win. My team would be:

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Harper

Bennett             Dack             Antonsson

Samuel

I wouldn't argue with that team. We could do with a bit more athleticism in central midfield. If Harper can add that - great.

Wouldn't make any sense to drop Whittingham, he and Smallwood are settling together and giving us the protection and control we need.

I still don't think Whittingham is playing to his best in terms of a goal threat, and sometimes his passing range is stifled by a lack of attacking movement, but he is getting better.

The balance of the team was good yesterday, I know people call for 2 up top but to do that, you'd be pushing our best player out of the area of the pitch from where hes playing so well. 

Just need one of the strikers to go on a run of form. For me Graham should be starting, best goal record in the past, was coming into form before the international break and links well with Graham.

Oxford 1  Rovers 1

Needs to be looking for a win but teams like Bury only come around once in a while so back down to earth here. A point is the minimum requirement although i'm expecting the usual foot off the gas after a big win instead of foot on it.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/form-guide/home/ten

Not a great home record for Oxford Utd. They've only won 1 of their last 6 at home, and 3 all season. They score a fair few though and apparently play open attacking football. So we'll certainly get chances, depends if the best away defence in the league can stand firm.

I'll go 2-1 to us in the 'Bald Eagle' derby.

Interesting fact (or not) Oxford Utd only became a League club in 1962 when they took the place of the bankrupted Accy Stanley.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/form-guide/home/ten

Not a great home record for Oxford Utd. They've only won 1 of their last 6 at home, and 3 all season. They score a fair few though and apparently play open attacking football. So we'll certainly get chances, depends if the best away defence in the league can stand firm.

I'll go 2-1 to us in the 'Bald Eagle' derby.

Interesting fact (or not) Oxford Utd only became a League club in 1962 when they took the place of the bankrupted Accy Stanley.

You wouldn't remember them knocking us out of the FA Cup a couple of years later then ? It's probably still our worst defeat in my time. The consequences were our second best centre forward ever leaving and the gradual decline of a superb footballing team.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You wouldn't remember them knocking us out of the FA Cup a couple of years later then ? It's probably still our worst defeat in my time. The consequences were our second best centre forward ever leaving and the gradual decline of a superb footballing team.

It's funny isn't it.  I still think of that game whenever we play Oxford despite many encounters since.  That and the Workington debacle are the sort of games that stay in the memory no matter what success you later achieve.  Fortunately, there have been plenty of better memories to treasure since.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

It's funny isn't it.  I still think of that game whenever we play Oxford despite many encounters since.  That and the Workington debacle are the sort of games that stay in the memory no matter what success you later achieve.  Fortunately, there have been plenty of better memories to treasure since.

Yeah, of all the years I've been watching Rovers in the FACup that was the one season I really fancied us to make up for the 1960 final. Most of the big teams were out already and 2nd Division Preston who subsequently beat Oxford were in the final with a pretty average West Ham !

We were in terrific form at the time. That's football I suppose.

There is an old footballing adage which is don't change a winning team which seems to have been coined by some of the games best managers of yesteryear. However I think Mowbray will make at least two changes to the starting eleven. 

Am I right in saying we haven't had the same team for two successive games this season?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Being fair to Mowbray I'd also make at least one change.

I would go with the same starting eleven. The only change I would consider would be Samuel for Nuttall but aside from experience they are very similar but Nuttall offers more physically. The system worked fine yesterday and providing the lone striker is our workhorse (that excludes Graham then) then I will be happy.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There is an old footballing adage which is don't change a winning team which seems to have been coined by some of the games best managers of yesteryear. However I think Mowbray will make at least two changes to the starting eleven. 

Am I right in saying we haven't had the same team for two successive games this season?

I think so. A different team every single game.

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Don't remember that TS, before my time. Who was the CF?

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Don't remember that TS, before my time. Who was the CF?

Fred Pickering.  Wonderful, powerful centre-forward rather like Shearer.   He was part of a team that played the best attacking football I've probably seen at Ewood.  Scored goals for fun and had a terrific partnership with Andy McEvoy until the directors opted to cash-in and take the money from Everton.  It was the start of a decline which ultimately led to the Third Division.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Fred Pickering.  Wonderful, powerful centre-forward rather like Shearer.   He was part of a team that played the best attacking football I've probably seen at Ewood.  Scored goals for fun and had a terrific partnership with Andy McEvoy until the directors opted to cash-in and take the money from Everton.  It was the start of a decline which ultimately led to the Third Division.

Fred had it all apart the desire that Shearer had. Skills wise he had the full set. I know it's heresy on here but he had a couple of skills Shearer didn't have -  like dribbling ability and a rocket of a shot in both feet not just the right.

Just now, arbitro said:

I would go with the same starting eleven. The only change I would consider would be Samuel for Nuttall but aside from experience they are very similar but Nuttall offers more physically. The system worked fine yesterday and providing the lone striker is our workhorse (that excludes Graham then) then I will be happy.

That'd be the change I'd make. Bring Nuttall on later when needed.

Archived