SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool away

AAK

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the problem, we'll have several players playing on Tuesday who are in the team because we've nobody any better. Not because they deserve the shirt.

I'd start with Samuel up front, Bennett out wide right, Antonnson on the left. How we solve the centre mid Smallwood partner conundrum I don't really know - nobody has earned a place there. If you could combine Evans experience, Harper's athleticism and Whittingham's left foot it would be problem solved. But we can't . Your guess is as good as mine there. Lenihan if and when he regains full fitness isn't really a creator either.

Would you consider playing lenihan as the destroyer with downing and then mulgrews creativity and passing in midfield with Smallwood's terrier like performances as his legs to protect him.?

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Would you consider playing lenihan as the destroyer with downing and then mulgrews creativity and passing in midfield with Smallwood's terrier like performances as his legs to protect him.?

In theory that's not a bad idea but I'm not sure Charlie's got the mobility for that role, especially when he'd be playing 2 games a week. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In theory that's not a bad idea but I'm not sure Charlie's got the mobility for that role, especially when he'd be playing 2 games a week. 

Completely agree. There's a reason why Charlie hasn't been injured much this season (touches wood) - because we've kept him at the back. 
Like the potential idea of Lenihan in CM, but think poor Downing will be benched as soon as he's recovered. Every Mowbray interview pretty much confirms this.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Completely agree. There's a reason why Charlie hasn't been injured much this season (touches wood) - because we've kept him at the back. 
Like the potential idea of Lenihan in CM, but think poor Downing will be benched as soon as he's recovered. Every Mowbray interview pretty much confirms this.

Where does Mowbray say that? If Downing keeps playing well,I don't see how it will be that easy for Lenihan to get back in 

23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hasn't specifically said it, but keeps on saying when he's back that we'll be able to play a higher line etc.

That is a bit different and less concrete than your comment that Mowbray "pretty much confirmed" that Lenihan will be back in-see below :) 

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Will be great to see him coming off the bench when he returns, but personally I hope he has a very difficult time getting back in, due to Downing and Mowbray performing so well 

33 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

Has anybody got a spare ticket or is anybody unable to make the game and willing to sell?

ashame you were"t at ewood this morning,guy in front of me returned three,they were quickly snapped up by guy behind

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That is a bit different and less concrete than your comment that Mowbray "pretty much confirmed" that Lenihan will be back in-see below :) 

Will be great to see him coming off the bench when he returns, but personally I hope he has a very difficult time getting back in, due to Downing and Mowbray performing so well 

Come on mate, it was still relatively early on a Monday - I was barely awake at my desk when I quoted TM ;). He has talked about Lenihan's pace/playing a higher line a lot though which makes me think he'll put him straight back in when fit.

In any event, I'm in agreement with you that it would be very harsh to drop Downing should he still be showing this form when Darragh is back. As I say, Darragh in centre mid could work - it's not like anyone next to Smalling has pulled up any trees this season and he excelled there for Burton.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Come on mate, it was still relatively early on a Monday - I was barely awake at my desk when I quoted TM ;). He has talked about Lenihan's pace/playing a higher line a lot though which makes me think he'll put him straight back in when fit.

In any event, I'm in agreement with you that it would be very harsh to drop Downing should he still be showing this form when Darragh is back. As I say, Darragh in centre mid could work - it's not like anyone next to Smalling has pulled up any trees this season and he excelled there for Burton.

I am very sensitive to fake news :P He could also have just meant at times in games ie with Lenihan coming off the bench. 

I completely agree about Lenihan in midfield. I would like to see him re-introduced there. Be interesting to hear Mowbrays thoughts on what position he views Lenihan playing in 

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lenihan is rubbish in midfield, all of his assets are suited to centre back, where his physicality and bravery perfectly compliment the finesse of Mulgrew.  

Him and Swallwood wouldnt keep the ball.

Exactly. Everyone thought he was pretty poor before he got moved to centre half and he never looked back after that point. He's nowhere near technically good enough to play in midfield.

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lenihan is rubbish in midfield, all of his assets are suited to centre back, where his physicality and bravery perfectly compliment the finesse of Mulgrew.  

Him and Swallwood wouldnt keep the ball.

but Smallwood never gives the ball away. The chant doesn't lie!!!

Archived