BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Roverseas previews Bristol Rovers (H) 25.11.17

J*B

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

They'd have soon been on their toes if the Wimberley Boot Boys had trapped up.

Zimmer frames and mobility scooters in tow :lol:

Forever living off stories about smashing up the burnley train at Darwen station, a few went to jail for that, hardcore. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good 3 points without the good performance. 1st 30 mins we pass the ball well until the key pass..

Then 15 mins of 1st we got sloppy and it almost cost us a goal..

Second half we started well until their scored. 

Mulgrew took his pen very well..

Was impressed Samuel goal, his movement was good and he wanted to score today and performance was good..

Felt sorry for Nuttall today no chances created for him but he did make some good runs but never was play him

Where you not impressed with Danny Graham?

If we ever make it to the champ and even if we don’t frankly we need to get rid of the most overrated midfielder in rovers history, mr Corry Evans. He is small, weak in the tackle, can’t pass, doesn’t score, I don’t get the point in him as a midfielder. We struggled because they marked dack out and allowed space for Evans and Smallwood who couldn’t find a pass up top. When they did it was to our wing backs, which gets me onto nyambe, he is a god awful footballer. Any issues we had was due to him either miscontrolling with a heavy touch or misjudging a ball over the top. When he does get into an attacking position he never finds the right ball or scores when he should. Abysmal.

Also for me Nuttall looks like he has been lucky with his goal scoring exploits, I don’t see him as an all round striker, doesn’t win headers or holds up the ball, game changed when we brought graham and Samuel on, who should be starting. 

My first game attending this season and wasn’t impressed, play like that against better opposition and there is more Wimbledon’s ahead.

mowbray your still unconvincing me

9 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Does Peter Jackson (the jeweller) have a say in that? Or entirely the clubs choice? I'm guessing its probably the latter though if I was sponsoring the award would want it okayed by me first.

Used to be voted for by the people in the exec boxes.

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

If we ever make it to the champ and even if we don’t frankly we need to get rid of the most overrated midfielder in rovers history, mr Corry Evans. He is small, weak in the tackle, can’t pass, doesn’t score, I don’t get the point in him as a midfielder. We struggled because they marked dack out and allowed space for Evans and Smallwood who couldn’t find a pass up top. When they did it was to our wing backs, which gets me onto nyambe, he is a god awful footballer. Any issues we had was due to him either miscontrolling with a heavy touch or misjudging a ball over the top. When he does get into an attacking position he never finds the right ball or scores when he should. Abysmal.

Also for me Nuttall looks like he has been lucky with his goal scoring exploits, I don’t see him as an all round striker, doesn’t win headers or holds up the ball, game changed when we brought graham and Samuel on, who should be starting. 

My first game attending this season and wasn’t impressed, play like that against better opposition and there is more Wimbledon’s ahead.

mowbray your still unconvincing me

Our midfield couldn't find a pass up top for one simple reason. Playing one up front lets two centre halves mark one centre forward very easily. Although Dack moves he sometimes drops in too close to players and actually at times closes space rather than creates it. At more than stage yesterday he was actually looking to take the ball off our defenders. That shouldn't be his job. For those criticising Evans, although he is by no means a good player he is usually tidy and adds balance to Smallwood. What he needs is a run of games which his injury record suggests will be unlikely.  In the last half hour, every time the ball went dead, Evans was stretching his hamstring so I'll be surprised if he plays at Blackpool.

I'll lose this term loosely but our wide players contributed next to nothing yesterday. Whittingham was guilty of coming inside and Antonnson was too easily marked up by their right back. I'm presuming that the width was supposed to come our full backs who when going forward but their distribution was poor and when defending were left exposed.

Bristol Rovers had pace which exposed our lack of pace several times. It was also noticeably that as the game went on, we pressed the game from further and further back. In the first 25 minutes we were pressing their play in the very high up the pitch, for the middle of the game this dropped to around the middle of the park and after we went in front this dropped to our defending third making it very hard on the fans nerves.

9 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Reading out Morecambe and Accrington's results its so parochial. Why should anyone at Ewood give a toss what their scores are and most people have phones anyway? Just read out the whole of L2 instead of this practice.

I am sorry but that sums you up 100%.

You simply don't get what 90% of the people on this board are all about.

24 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Our midfield couldn't find a pass up top for one simple reason. Playing one up front lets two centre halves mark one centre forward very easily. Although Dack moves he sometimes drops in too close to players and actually at times closes space rather than creates it. At more than stage yesterday he was actually looking to take the ball off our defenders. That shouldn't be his job. For those criticising Evans, although he is by no means a good player he is usually tidy and adds balance to Smallwood. What he needs is a run of games which his injury record suggests will be unlikely.  In the last half hour, every time the ball went dead, Evans was stretching his hamstring so I'll be surprised if he plays at Blackpool.

I'll lose this term loosely but our wide players contributed next to nothing yesterday. Whittingham was guilty of coming inside and Antonnson was too easily marked up by their right back. I'm presuming that the width was supposed to come our full backs who when going forward but their distribution was poor and when defending were left exposed.

Bristol Rovers had pace which exposed our lack of pace several times. It was also noticeably that as the game went on, we pressed the game from further and further back. In the first 25 minutes we were pressing their play in the very high up the pitch, for the middle of the game this dropped to around the middle of the park and after we went in front this dropped to our defending third making it very hard on the fans nerves.

Agreed.

Mowbray very nearly did yet another Southend/Doncaster/Wimbledon/Oldham on us. In the end it was comfortable but the Gas will be going home feeling aggrieved and very unlucky with key incidents in the game. 

I am certain the squad as it is are easily good enough to win automatic promotion. 

Wish I had similar confidence in the management.

We were very lucky in a number of respects. They hit the woodwork twice and had a goal disallowed. The penalty never was in my view. We would have been furious if it had been awarded against us.

Finally does no-one else think that Raya should have done better with their goal? Went down like a sack of spuds in slow motion.

Steele would have been slaughtered on here for that.

So a win but why can we not raise our game (or even maintain our form) at home against a struggling team on a big losing streak?

7 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

If we're expecting an attacking threat to come from our two full backs we're barking up the wrong tree, especially in Nyambe's case. I can't see how we can remedy this because the two likely replacements - Caddis and Hart are no better in this respect. Playing Whittingham out wide has been tried before and has failed before. Why Bennett was left out so we could try this again was a mystery to me.  As long as we can only play in front of teams we'll struggle to break them down, even at this level.

Samuel's headed goal came from a good cross delivered from out wide but we don't get around the sides of our opponents anything like often enough.

33 minutes ago, 47er said:

Finally does no-one else think that Raya should have done better with their goal? Went down like a sack of spuds in slow motion.

The highlights aren't available yet, but from memory, their striker couldn't have placed it better, and with pace.

I think Raya makes aerial saves look more spectacular than they really are, but I suppose it's because he tries to get his whole body behind the ball in mid-flight. Not complaining, just an observation.

He is still flapping for crosses and corners occasionally. I suspect it will take time to iron those things out (although some keepers never do!). That is a nitpicking complaint, because he has been a rock for us this season.

Would anyone else be keen on us making a bid for Ellis Harrison who  I thought looked very good for Bristol yesterday? He had pace, worked his arse off and scored a great goal. If we could get him for 100-200k I think he would be very useful in the position Antonsson currently occupies. Only in his early 20s so resale value too. 

Just watched the highlights.

For their goal, the shot came from behind the Blackburn Rovers defender from Raya's viewpoint, hence his late movement. It was also hit with curl and pace, bouncing at the place where Raya's hand should have been before going in just inside the post- hard to criticise the keeper for that one.

For the penalty, again from where the ref was it must have been blatant. From side on two Bristol players make a complete horlicks of it and our player collects but never controls the ricochet. The bundle over is done with force so absolutely no question of simulation.

For the winner, the Bristol centre half completely jumps under the ball giving Samuel the simplest of headers. 

17 minutes ago, Phil T said:

The highlights aren't available yet, but from memory, their striker couldn't have placed it better, and with pace.

I think Raya makes aerial saves look more spectacular than they really are, but I suppose it's because he tries to get his whole body behind the ball in mid-flight. Not complaining, just an observation.

He is still flapping for crosses and corners occasionally. I suspect it will take time to iron those things out (although some keepers never do!). That is a nitpicking complaint, because he has been a rock for us this season.

To be fair to Raya, the one in the first half wasn't a flap. He came out and got a strong enough punch to clear the box.

To criticise Raya for the goal is harsh. If anyone was to blame it was Mulgrew who did not get close enough to Harrison but credit should go to Harrison, it was a very good goal.

Just now, philipl said:

For their goal, the shot came from behind the Blackburn Rovers defender from Raya's viewpoint, hence his late movement. It was also hit with curl and pace, bouncing at the place where Raya's hand should have been before going in just inside the post- hard to criticise the keeper for that one.

For the penalty, again from where the ref was it must have been blatant. From side on two Bristol players make a complete horlicks of it and our player collects but never controls the ricochet. The bundle over is done with force so absolutely no question of simulation.

For the winner, the Bristol centre half completely jumps under the ball giving Samuel the simplest of headers. 

Probably easier just to post the highlights:-

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11143950/blackburn-2-1-bristol-rovers

So much for Mowbray the master tactician and his patient approach play. Two long punts with 2 up front and we score 2 in 5 minutes.

Tactically astute.

21 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Just posted them. They get posted on sky the night of the match

5 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Would anyone else be keen on us making a bid for Ellis Harrison who  I thought looked very good for Bristol yesterday? He had pace, worked his arse off and scored a great goal. If we could get him for 100-200k I think he would be very useful in the position Antonsson currently occupies.

Antonsson isn't the perfect player, and he had a bit of a stinker yesterday, but talking about displacing our top goalscorer from his position (or the team) is fine by me, as long as it doesn't happen.

If anything, it's our main striker position that is somewhat unsettled. We've got three other strikers vying for it, and it seems as though we can't agree who's best filled it this season so far - possibly because Mowbray can't decide.

Just now, philipl said:

I thought the shot was well placed but defensively we were lackadaisical in just watching the striker get the shot off and not even attempting to get a block in.  Can you see the likes of Colin Hendrey or Kevin Moran just looking on like that ?

I saw an highlight of their disallowed " goal " and our defending for that was not even pub team level football.  Our players  running around like headless chickens while Bristol just passed the ball through and around us like they were Barcelona.

8 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

To be fair to Raya, the one in the first half wasn't a flap. He came out and got a strong enough punch to clear the box.

To criticise Raya for the goal is harsh. If anyone was to blame it was Mulgrew who did not get close enough to Harrison but credit should go to Harrison, it was a very good goal.

Yes it wasn't rayas fault, he should have been closed down quicker & it was a good finish.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11143950/blackburn-2-1-bristol-rovers

So much for Mowbray the master tactician and his patient approach play. Two long punts with 2 up front and we score 2 in 5 minutes.

Tactically astute.

Odd highlight from the first half, a header that went wide. Why not the disallowed goal or the two that hit the woodwork?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Tactically astute.

I recall watching Brian Clough's Notts Forest team playing a top German side in a European Cup tie. Forest footballed the Germans to death for 89 minutes but just couldn't break them down. The German side had an answer to everything. With the last kick of the game the Forest 'keeper just launched an " ale house ball " down field. The German centre halves made a complete hash of it and a Forest striker just nipped in for a really soft winner.

Sometimes a well placed long ball asks questions defenders can't answer.

TM yesterday bottled it ,in my opinion, he had one eye on Tuesday's match ,he knows his strongest team but never played it against Bristol ...He got lucky and got away with it .

At the end of the day its 3 points but i am still not convinced TM is the man for the job in this division.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I recall watching Brian Clough's Notts Forest team playing a top German side in a European Cup tie. Forest footballed the Germans to death for 89 minutes but just couldn't break them down. The German side had an answer to everything. With the last kick of the game the Forest 'keeper just launched an " ale house ball " down field. The German centre halves made a complete hash of it and a Forest striker just nipped in for a really soft winner.

Football is about finding a route to score a goal. Varying the line of attack has to make the defenders think.

The balls forward weren't hopeless punts, they were aimed at Graham who caused enough problems for their defenders to deal with.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd just dispense with the pointless passing and change tact at home - two up front, mix it up, go direct occasionally. Passing it around for no reason achieves absolutely nothing except allowing the opposition to get confortable.

I'd call them 'punts' but in fairness to Downing they both went where they were meant to.

I think some managers, including Mowbray, needlessly complicate the game because they somehow see themselves as purists. Managers like Pulis get criticised but Mowbray's football is just as one-dimensional and probably just as tedious at home.

Archived