BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Roverseas previews Bristol Rovers (H) 25.11.17

J*B

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Football is about finding a route to score a goal. Varying the line of attack has to make the defenders think.

The balls forward weren't hopeless punts, they were aimed at Graham who caused enough problems for their defenders to deal with.

Yeah , they were good long balls in to the danger zone and we made the most of them.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Antonsson isn't the perfect player, and he had a bit of a stinker yesterday, but talking about displacing our top goalscorer from his position (or the team) is fine by me, as long as it doesn't happen.

If anything, it's our main striker position that is somewhat unsettled. We've got three other strikers vying for it, and it seems as though we can't agree who's best filled it this season so far - possibly because Mowbray can't decide.

Competition for places is important. Conway is past it now and often injured so a player who can compete for that left forward position would be welcomed by me.

Too much passing, at times laboured looking with Evans and Smallwood coming onto Bristol backline, was like a training game at times, with fans not vocal until their disallowed goal. Much more directness and pace needed. Whittingham was brought in to find killer ball, killer ball yesterday was to play it to nyambe or Williams to lose it 

Just now, robbojohnno said:

Competition for places is important. Conway is past it now and often injured so a player who can compete for that left forward position would be welcomed by me.

That's where I'd be looking to make a signing in the transfer window. We need someone with pace who can get around the side of teams. Is there another Chapman out there ?

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'd just dispense with the pointless passing and change tact at home - two up front, mix it up, go direct occasionally. Passing it around for no reason achieves absolutely nothing except allowing the opposition to get confortable.

I'd call them 'punts' but in fairness to Downing they both went where they were meant to.

I think some managers, including Mowbray, needlessly complicate the game because they somehow see themselves as purists. Managers like Pulis get criticised but Mowbray's football is just as one-dimensional and probably just as tedious at home.

I wasn't there against MK Dons so I can't comment but the only times that we've gone on the front foot and pressed high up the pitch is the first half hour yesterday, 10 minutes in the 2nd half yesterday, the first half hour on Tuesday the Portsmouth game and spells in the Rotherham game.

If we could keep that high tempo high up the pitch pressing for the season we'd walk it.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's where I'd be looking to make a signing in the transfer window. We need someone with pace who can get around the side of teams. Is there another Chapman out there ?

Isn't Chapman coming back once fit?  We do need extra pace and width in both attack and defence.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is there another Chapman out there ?

Jack Payne. His loan to faltering Oxford is up in January.

Can't argue with more competition for places, especially when games come thick and fast.

3 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I wasn't there against MK Dons so I can't comment but the only times that we've gone on the front foot and pressed high up the pitch is the first half hour yesterday, 10 minutes in the 2nd half yesterday, the first half hour on Tuesday the Portsmouth game and spells in the Rotherham game.

If we could keep that high tempo high up the pitch pressing for the season we'd walk it.

You can add the Plymouth game to that list, we played the entire game in the opposition half and could have had 4 in the first half alone but for bad finishing, hammered them on the night but couldn't get that break through.

Teams have, and will continue to come to Ewood and sit back, its up to the home team to break them down, we saw it week in week out under Bowyer who was tactically naive, and is the reason why we struggled under him at times and drew more than we won.

Its now unbeaten in 6 i believe with 3 wins on the bounce, lets hope we can keep that run going, that should set us up nicely for the New Year run in.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

15 minutes when Chapman came on won us the game against MK Dons. We were 2-1 up but under the cosh and retreating before then.

Like you say, the evidence is there. Every time we go for it at home we score goals because defences and players in this league aren't great for the most part and we do have some talent in attacking areas. Every time we pass it round at the back we create nothing and get hit on the break.

It's not de rigueur to talk about tactics so we best stop it;)

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

15 minutes when Chapman came on won us the game against MK Dons. We were 2-1 up but under the cosh and retreating before then.

Like you say, the evidence is there. Every time we go for it at home we score goals because defences and players in this league aren't great for the most part and we do have some talent in attacking areas. Every time we pass it round at the back we create nothing and get hit on the break.

It's not de rigueur to talk about tactics so we best stop it;)

If we have the ball the opposition can't score blueboy, tactics at their simplest surely?

Just now, Gav said:

If we have the ball the opposition can't score blueboy, tactics at their simplest surely?

Not if it's 0-0 at home to a team we should be beating. And invariably we end up conceding anyway. I have no problem with Mowbray away, Mowbray at home is all wrong. There's nothing in this league to fear but Mowbray at home is like a frightened rabbit. And not a cute one.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Not if it's 0-0 at home to a team we should be beating. And invariably we end up conceding anyway. I have no problem with Mowbray away, Mowbray at home is all wrong. There's nothing in this league to fear but Mowbray at home is like a frightened rabbit. And not a cute one.

Teams are coming to Ewood for a point so we have to take the game to them. When teams have come to try and win we usually play better.

It is we are lacking a bit of guille to break defensive teams down. Usually these teams have a quick player up front and it the pace of counter attack we can't cope with it.

I'm not complaining about Raya's form in general but his weaknesses. His flappability at crosses is embarrassing but on this particular occasion it was his inability to get down fast enough. His reactions were way too slow.

Shot was well placed but it wasn't all that sweetly hit. Brad would have ate it.

2 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Has anyone seen a replay of the disallowed goal they did not show it on 5 highlights, i wondered if it was correct or not or was it that bad they are not showing it anywhere to save embarrassing the officials.

It was a strange one given that the linesman didn't flag at all. My take was that he was in doubt as to which player last touched the ball just prior to the ball being put in the net. Surely the linesman should have used the communication set to ask the referee rather than having a face to face conversation. I don't know if it was the right decision but the officials lost credibility in my opinion because of the long delay. Rovers players seemed to accept it as legitimate because they were ready to kick off when the offside decision was finally made.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not sure what constitutes 'A team we should be beating'? although I know some posters thinks its every team in this league, thats just pie in the sky.

We're a club where winning runs are as rare as hens teeth, we have no divine right to beat anyone, but that also doesn't mean we shouldn't be a bit more adventurous at home if thats the issue, you see us more than I do and are best placed to comment, but we certainly didn't sit back against Plymouth the last time I saw us at Ewood.

Away from home the onus is on the home team to score goals, we seem to thrive on that and have reaped the rewards in recent weeks, but at home teams come to Ewood and park the bus, its never going to be the same at home as it is away just on this very basic level.

Just now, arbitro said:

It was a strange one given that the linesman didn't flag at all. My take was that he was in doubt as to which player last touched the ball just prior to the ball being put in the net. Surely the linesman should have used the communication set to ask the referee rather than having a face to face conversation. I don't know if it was the right decision but the officials lost credibility in my opinion because of the long delay. Rovers players seemed to accept it as legitimate because they were ready to kick off when the offside decision was finally made.

I've only seen it on the Bristol Rovers forum and  it's not a great view so I can't comment on wether the off side decision is right or wrong. What I can say is the defending that led up to it was woeful.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I went and spoke to Tony before kick Off as my lad was mascot and when I said let's make this 3 wins On the bounce he looked decidedly nervous and tbh I walked out of his office feeling very nervous. 

That's how I feel when I hear any of his pre-match interviews.

• J*B unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, 47er said:

We were very lucky in a number of respects. They hit the woodwork twice and had a goal disallowed. The penalty never was in my view. We would have been furious if it had been awarded against us.

Finally does no-one else think that Raya should have done better with their goal? Went down like a sack of spuds in slow motion.

Steele would have been slaughtered on here for that.

So a win but why can we not raise our game (or even maintain our form) at home against a struggling team on a big losing streak?

Careful - you get slaughtered on here for making reasonable criticisms.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I'm not complaining about Raya's form in general but his weaknesses. His flappability at crosses is embarrassing but on this particular occasion it was his inability to get down fast enough. His reactions were way too slow.

Shot was well placed but it wasn't all that sweetly hit. Brad would have ate it.

If we are going to be comparing young Raya to the best keeper we have had, in his prime, it is going to be a long season.

Archived