BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Roverseas previews Bristol Rovers (H) 25.11.17

J*B

Evans' big issue is fitness. He runs out of steam very quickly, yesterday he was struggling after 30 minutes and by 70 minutes was suffering from cramp or his hamstring was hurting. HE was stretching it everytime the ball went dead. I'll be surprised if he played on Tuesday.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Evans' big issue is fitness. He runs out of steam very quickly, yesterday he was struggling after 30 minutes and by 70 minutes was suffering from cramp or his hamstring was hurting. HE was stretching it everytime the ball went dead. I'll be surprised if he played on Tuesday.

Maybe whatever injury  issues he has are preventing him from training to the required level ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe whatever injury  issues he has are preventing him from training to the required level ?

To me he has never been able to last 90 minutes and is one reason why Rovers always end the game defending because midfield cannot get out of its own penalty box. I suspect it is why he is always picking up the injuries as well.

6 hours ago, Hasta said:

The disallowed goal.

https://streamable.com/tmh71

I didn't go yesterday and that looks a bizarre decision.

Thanks for posting that. After several pause/play run throughs I think it was a good decision. The coloured lad is stood offside when the ball is headed toward Nyambe, but is not offside yet. But then he makes himself active by moving toward the rebound before leaving it to the other guy. As he was right between the ball and keeper, and very nearly touched the ball, I think he’s interferring, could well have made the keeper hesitate.

Not that I think the officials saw any of that.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good to see us win and 3 in a row is always positive, but I did feel that it posed more questions than answers and that many of the fans worries about Mowbray reared their ugly head yet again.

The team selection screamed of him messing for the sake of it, if you want to rest Bennett then Conways back in a week he said, so wait until then. Whittingham was hung out to dry on the wing and it totally ruined the shape, leading to an atrocious first half where they absolutely battered us and should have killed us off there and then.

Graham was absolutely brilliant when he came on, won everything and played a key part in the comeback. Samuel was very good too, got lucky with a very soft penalty but scored a very good header, hes quick, quite strong, hes got the attributes but he needs to do that consistently. That said, ideally we could get them playing together but I don't think its possible to get them 2 and Dack all playing in their best positions in the same team, and due to Dack being our main attacking player it has to be one or the other. Shows the firepower at the managers disposal, meaning he has nowhere to hide. Its why the other day I was arguing against chaddys suggestion to sign Devante Cole, for me a waste of money on a player inferior to the forwards we already have.

Mulgrew was brilliant yet again, proper captain, him and Dack are the star quality who can drag us through, I feel that Graham, Bennett and Whittingham can aswell if Mowbray can get the best out of them.

Think yesterday proved, as if we didn't already know, that we look so much more dangerous when we don't try to keep the ball for the sake of it, we've got good players in the final third that are wasted, need to play pressing, attacking football.

Didn't go to Oxford, but like at Bury I felt that Nuttall didn't look a threat really, did the odd bit of tidy hold up but still too raw to be above the 2 that came on, although hes a good prospect with a big part to play and we should sign him for longer.

Antonsson was really poor, Nyambe a total liability really, and no idea how Smallwood got man of the match.

Didn't Mowbray make the changes and bought on the 2 players who made an impact? 

If Bennett needs a rest then rest him, no point playing him when not right fitness wise. 

The problem is Graham doesn't perform like this in every game and where has this performance been all season? It is cos he wants a move in January or because he is injury free and training every day? 

Mulgrew is a class player. Smallwood put in tackles and won the ball back doing the job he is in the team for. 

Nuttall hasn't had the service in the games he started but he has the work rate and doing the job he the team for. 

Antonsson is our top scorer with Mulgrew in the league with 6 goals and Samuel and Dack have 5 goals. Graham only has 2 goals 

OK yes now I see Harrison got offside and interfered with play.

Silly really as he is watching across the line as the cross comes in then forgets himself and moves into an offside position then instead of standing still when the much better placed player runs onto score darts towards the ball.

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't Mowbray make the changes and bought on the 2 players who made an impact? 

If Bennett needs a rest then rest him, no point playing him when not right fitness wise. 

The problem is Graham doesn't perform like this in every game and where has this performance been all season? It is cos he wants a move in January or because he is injury free and training every day? 

Mulgrew is a class player. Smallwood put in tackles and won the ball back doing the job he is in the team for. 

Nuttall hasn't had the service in the games he started but he has the work rate and doing the job he the team for. 

Antonsson is our top scorer with Mulgrew in the league with 6 goals and Samuel and Dack have 5 goals. Graham only has 2 goals 

He did make the changes yes, such is the depth of firepower available to him, my point is that his tinkering meant that the team was massively imbalanced, and we were lucky to still be in the game when the subs were brought on. 

The reporter for the LT said that Mowbray had mentioned in the week about using Whittingham out wide, if all the fans can see he cant play there, why cant the manager?

Graham did look off the pace at the start of the season and hes never regained his place really on a consistent basis, but like I keep saying hes been much brighter recently, to the extent that you wanted him to start v Bury, no one knows what motivates him or anyone else, it makes no difference as long as hes performing. Deserves to start asap, all players have dips in form but he seems to be getting back to some in his cameos.

Smallwood was not at his best yesterday. 

Nuttall is really promising but I don't think he quite looks physically up to being the lead striker for a club going for the top 2, he would be behind Graham and Samuel but now he is part of the first team and will play a role going forward.

50 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Thanks for posting that. After several pause/play run throughs I think it was a good decision. The coloured lad is stood offside when the ball is headed toward Nyambe, but is not offside yet. But then he makes himself active by moving toward the rebound before leaving it to the other guy. As he was right between the ball and keeper, and very nearly touched the ball, I think he’s interferring, could well have made the keeper hesitate.

I think the officials probably thought it flicked off the Bristol Rovers player but it clearly hits Nyambe and then bounces down for either of them to slot in from close range. The one player in an offside position does make a motion towards the ball but I don't think it affects the outcome in any way but maybe that could be deemed as "interfering with play" and therefore offside would be the correct decision. Personally think we got very lucky there, no one in the ground thought it was offside and everyone was equally mystified and shocked when it was ruled out after all the players had already lined up back to kick-off.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He did make the changes yes, such is the depth of firepower available to him, my point is that his tinkering meant that the team was massively imbalanced, and we were lucky to still be in the game when the subs were brought on. 

The reporter for the LT said that Mowbray had mentioned in the week about using Whittingham out wide, if all the fans can see he cant play there, why cant the manager?

Graham did look off the pace at the start of the season and hes never regained his place really on a consistent basis, but like I keep saying hes been much brighter recently, to the extent that you wanted him to start v Bury, no one knows what motivates him or anyone else, it makes no difference as long as hes performing. Deserves to start asap, all players have dips in form but he seems to be getting back to some in his cameos.

Nuttall is really promising but I don't think he quite looks physically up to being the lead striker for a club going for the top 2, he would be behind Graham and Samuel but now he is part of the first team and will play a role going forward.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Whittingham out wide, think we've tried it three of four times now and it's never really worked. If he did want to give Bennett a rest we've not got many other options out wide at the moment though with Conway and Chapman out. 

Samuel and Graham looked like completely different players when they came off the bench to what we've seen for a lot of the season. Probably fired up by the fact they are being left out of the team by a player who wasn't even in the first team squad until a few week ago. One thing you can never criticise for Mowbray for is that when he does get starting line-ups wrong he often makes the correct subs to change the game and get the win, and ultimately that's the most important thing.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Bennett wasnt 100% right fitness wise then playing Whittingham there was an option. I dont mind him there if we had an attacking right back like Emerton behind him but Nyambe isnt that sort of player. 

For me its Samuel up front with Dack in the 10 role. 

Nuttall was 5th choice a month ago and now down to his recent performancrd he has forced pass them all and started last 3 games and we won every game. 

Can we not call the lad who was offside 'coloured'. Sorry for being 'pc' but its just such an old fashioned term. Considering he scored their goal, you'd think we could remember his name (Harrison), but if not at worst please just call him black. 

One thing about the match that we should bare in mind is that for whatever reason, Bristol R didnt play mid week, so had a whole week to prepare for this game. I dont know if that came into TM thinking with regards to resting one or 2 players (Bennett for example). PW on the right clearly didnt work as he keeps coming inside on his stronger left foot. Id far rather he played centre mid with Smallwood, let him do the tackling and grunt work and let PW pick the passes. Evans clearly needs a rest. And Nuttal has done well with these run of games but I believe Samuel should start on tues. 

Considering the circumstance, a great 3 points. On-wards and upwards :rover:

9 minutes ago, grizfoot said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Whittingham out wide, think we've tried it three of four times now and it's never really worked. If he did want to give Bennett a rest we've not got many other options out wide at the moment though with Conway and Chapman out. 

Samuel and Graham looked like completely different players when they came off the bench to what we've seen for a lot of the season. Probably fired up by the fact they are being left out of the team by a player who wasn't even in the first team squad until a few week ago. One thing you can never criticise for Mowbray for is that when he does get starting line-ups wrong he often makes the correct subs to change the game and get the win, and ultimately that's the most important thing.

For me, common sense would have dictated to give Bennett a couple of days off this weekend if hes flagging and let him miss the cup game. That, coupled with the imminent return of a replacement (Conway) means that we cant do without him at the moment, even if he hasnt provided what I was expecting him to in League 1 after how he performed in the second half of last season. That said, we won so luckily it doesnt matter either way.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Bennett wasnt 100% right fitness wise then playing Whittingham there was an option. I dont mind him there if we had an attacking right back like Emerton behind him but Nyambe isnt that sort of player. 

For me its Samuel up front with Dack in the 10 role. 

Nuttall was 5th choice a month ago and now down to his recent performancrd he has forced pass them all and started last 3 games and we won every game. 

No matter who the full back was, he would be doubled up on because Whittingham will always naturally come inside, and he neither has the legs nor the natural instinct to run up and down the line to protect his full back. It was a silly decision and we won in spite of it, that said its another win and I am happy, just stating my worries going forward.

Nuttall has done very well and is an exciting prospect who we need to sign up long term but hes a tad behind Graham and Samuel at this present moment.

4 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Can we not call the lad who was offside 'coloured'. Sorry for being 'pc' but its just such an old fashioned term. Considering he scored their goal, you'd think we could remember his name (Harrison), but if not at worst please just call him black. 

Lad ! should that not be ZE, as we are unaware of the persons inner feelings, and Lad is such an old fashioned term :) 

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Would you say the same if it was the other way around

• Backroom
On 25/11/2017 at 21:18, JacknOry said:

Both SKy and BBC say we were outplayed for first 60 minutes.

Stop being so negative! Don't you know we scored 2 goals in 8 minutes? Pointless nitpicking, can't you just enjoy the win (fnar fnar) ???

Not aimed at you, just a joke re: the Oxford fuss.

22 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’m sure it’s been done with the best intentions, but for any doubt it was Harrison who was offside. 

Archived