BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So, what signings do we need in January?

I'm more worried about potential outgoings in January, to line Fat Barry's greasy pockets, than I am concerned with anyone coming in. The team as it stands has sufficient quality and strength in depth to climb out of this league, but should there be any tinkering around the edges by our owners, now that some players have demonstrated some capability, it wouldn't surprise me, given their track record in this respect.

Maintaining the current squad without losing anyone in the January window would be as good as getting a new player or two, as it would allow the team to build and bond for the big push.

Squiki bym time.

Venkys Out! Backwards stawt!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

I'm more worried about potential outgoings in January, to line Fat Barry's greasy pockets, than I am concerned with anyone coming in. The team as it stands has sufficient quality and strength in depth to climb out of this league, but should there be any tinkering around the edges by our owners, now that some players have demonstrated some capability, it wouldn't surprise me, given their track record in this respect.

Maintaining the current squad without losing anyone in the January window would be as good as getting a new player or two, as it would allow the team to build and bond for the big push.

Squiki bym time.

Venkys Out! Backwards stawt!

Mulgrew is my big worry.  We need a good reliable proven central defender in case we lose Mulgrew for any reason (injury/ Jan transfer).

Unless we sell anyone I dont think we need a centre half. Once Lenihan is fit we face the possibility of having a very capable player in Downing sitting it out as it is. Discounting the useless Ward, Wharton is also available so that should be more than adequate.

Just need a better playmaker than Whittingham and pace on either flank for me. Hopefully Chapman can come back and provide one of those outlets.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you don't want a lazy attitude in the team there's been times earlier this season when you could have done dropped more than half the team.

At the start of the season yes true but since the Victory at Bradford Ive seen improvement in alot of players. 

Graham has been my biggest problem with the attitude. Yes granted he had some good games recently but needs to be alot more consist. 

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

At the start of the season yes true but since the Victory at Bradford Ive seen improvement in alot of players. 

Graham has been my biggest problem with the attitude. Yes granted he had some good games recently but needs to be alot more consist. 

None of our strikers have consistently scored goals, Antonsson, Dack and Mulgrew have contributed from other positions, even Samuel before yesterday hasnt scored in 2 months.

That said, either will need a few starts to show consistency.

Another point on Graham, @chaddyrovers  

Both Samuel and fellow striker Danny Graham's introduction swung the pendulum for Rovers after going a goal down, and Dom was quick to pay tribute to his strike partner, who's also been on the bench more than he'd have liked in recent games.

"Danny has so much experience under his belt and I learn off him every day in training. To have a player like that around you on and off the pitch allows you to feed off his experience. He's fantastic to have around for young strikers like me.

Does this sound like a man who doesn't care anymore? And surely Samuel and Nuttall will be able to learn loads from Graham.

• Backroom
7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

None of our strikers have consistently scored goals, Antonsson, Dack and Mulgrew have contributed from other positions, even Samuel before yesterday hasnt scored in 2 months.

Isn't that slightly skewed by an international break (delayed match) and a 3 game ban?

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Another point on Graham, @chaddyrovers  

Both Samuel and fellow striker Danny Graham's introduction swung the pendulum for Rovers after going a goal down, and Dom was quick to pay tribute to his strike partner, who's also been on the bench more than he'd have liked in recent games.

"Danny has so much experience under his belt and I learn off him every day in training. To have a player like that around you on and off the pitch allows you to feed off his experience. He's fantastic to have around for young strikers like me.

Does this sound like a man who doesn't care anymore? And surely Samuel and Nuttall will be able to learn loads from Graham.

Well its time his performances shown that he cares cos in more games he been.poor and look uninterested then performing he should have done so

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn't Judge get a bad injury a while back when he was on the verge of a big transfer deal ?

When on his way to Newcastle

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Even though I'm skeptical of him keeping it up, you could argue Nuttall's been pretty consistent haha

Bit unfair on Samuel given he'd only played 180 minutes since his last goal until his goal on Saturday, but partly his own fault due to his silly red card...

By my reading, Dack pretty much acts as a second striker, which I think allows us to comfortably play with one up front, depending on the opposition.

In sum, I'm not too worried about our goal scoring going forward. Graham, Samuel, Nuttall, and Antonsson give us a lot of options.

Got curious what our strikers' minute/goals numbers are like as all of their playing times' have been a bit inconsistent (note I'm including cup games):

Nuttall: 89.2

Antonsson: 158.1

Samuel: 184.3

Dack: 230.6

Graham 307.7

As a quick barometer, Rhodes was at 160.6 in 2013-14 and 167.1 in 2014-15. while Gestede was at 132.0 in 2013-14 and 141.3 in 2014-15.

(Note I'm not arguing Antonsson > Rhodes haha, I was just curious about the numbers)

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Antonnsson looks to have a bit more pace over the first few yards, which helps. 

Could you imagine Rhodes playing left midfield? :) 

Maybe, but he's not much quicker. He seems to have a similar finisher's mentality to Rhodes. He doesn't go in for bursting the net , just enough power on the ball to get it into the back of the goal. Jimmy Greaves style.

I don't think Rhodes would have fitted in anywhere else on the pitch to be honest. 

Can't see Scunny selling us Morris unless it's for silly money - which we do not have. I believe TM went for him in the summer but was put off by the asking price.

At least TM has acknowledged that we need another Chapman esque player in January: https://audioboom.com/posts/6517783-rovers-head-coach-tony-mowbray-is-scouring-the-market-for-a-creative-midfield-player-in-the-january-sales

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mahoney should have stay here last summer. Instead of going there. Not played first team football there since he joined them

Who would you prefer Chaddy - Chapman or Mahoney ?  For me it's a no brainier, Chapman for me. Trying to loan Mahoney back is a good idea though. I'm a bit pessimistic about Chapman getting back to pre injury form soon enough to play a major role in our promotion push.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's a young lad playing for Bournemouth's Under 21s who I've heard is decent.  Mahoney I think his name is.  Believe he has a soft spot for Rovers too.  Wouldn't mind him coming back on loan to help take us up.

That's a great shout

Archived