BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New CEO at Ewood

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I caught up with the Sunday Supplement the other day when they were discussing Chelsea and how that club is run.  They have no Chief Executive and the Director of Football also left a couple of months back.  They have a Chairman, who appears to be a figurehead and two directors - both close associates of Roman Abramovich who have worked for him for years in the oil industry.  It appears that a lady called Marina Granovskaia, one of the two directors, is the one who runs most things for Abramovich at the club and deals with all transfers and contracts.  Apparently she has worked for Abramovich since leaving University in 1997 and although listed as a director doesn't give interviews and stays well behind the scenes.   I think Chelsea have proved that a different system can work but you need commitment from the top - the owner - for it to work.  Sadly, our owners have never seemed committed to it from day one and it seems we are just one of any number of businesses that form part of their investment portfolio.    

Our 'model' of having disinterested absentee owners on the other side of the world who haven't the foggiest idea about the sport can still work. I think of the Glazers at Utd, the Malaysians at Cardiff, the Chinese at Wolves and WBA, Khan at Fulham. Foreign ownership isn't necessarily bad and an owner who never speaks or comes to games isn't necessarily bad, but combined with having a lack of any power or presence on the ground is a recipe for disaster. Not only that but clubs can cope with a vacuum for months at a time but we're talking 7 years here.

Regardless of who owns the club we need someone with a plan, strategy, ideas for growing and developing the club and pushing it on. Someone who can assess performance financially, football wise and staffing wise and make changes if necessary.

Its a major problem at this club and I'm convinced that the appointment of a competent chairman would see this clubs performance on and off the pitch improve drastically.

The most annoying thing for me is when the club and those close to it bemoan things like revenues and attendances and yet what serious efforts is the club making to improve that without a CEO or commercial director to drive it?

Abramovich is clearly a huge fan of the sport and spends a lot of time and money pursuing what is a passion - he bankrolled the Russian World Cup campaign, is on the edge of his seat with excitement at times watching Chelsea, even goes to some reserve games out of interest - he's clearly in it for the right reasons and his track record entitles him to put his henchmen into power and run the club in a slightly unorthodox way. Still he appointed Peter Kenyon and Ron Gourlay as CEOs earlier on in his time to help build them up.

The Glazers certainly know what they are doing. Even though some of their fans wish death on them (only winning 1 CL under their regime after all imagine the suffering) what have they done so wrong to merit such hatred from them? Milked them a bit yeah but for goodness sake they aren't the only ones to do that in football. If anyone deserves to be used as a cash cow its their fans anyway. They just want a benefactor very hypocritical considering their criticism of Jack, Abramovich, Mansour, etc.  They hated the previous owner Edwards as well and more or less acted like he wasn't allowed to sell the club. The arrogance of those clowns has no boundaries.

Tan changed the shirts but he's since reversed that decision. Mackay did waste some money particularly on the striker Cornelius. Have to say I always kinda sided with Tan in that dispute. There was just something about Mackay I disliked there was just an aura of arrogance about him. My radar for that kind of thing is pretty good and as it turned out he was even worse than I thought.

I don't keep that close an eye on things but my impression is Khan might have learnt from his mistakes a bit. Something Venkys haven't shown any signs of doing and I'm not gullible enough to think the last few months have changed anything on that front.

Just because its not conventional hardly means Wolves are doing anything wrong. If you want to bring up Chinese owners then bring up Birmingham City. Or that bore at West Brom.

Nothing ever hurts Chelsea in the medium-long term it seems. Their fans are an unpleasant bunch certainly but that hasn't stopped United either has it? 

I don't think any of those owners are absentee either. I'm sure they are all in regular contact even if they can't attend every game.

46 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Abramovich is clearly a huge fan of the sport and spends a lot of time and money pursuing what is a passion - he bankrolled the Russian World Cup campaign, is on the edge of his seat with excitement at times watching Chelsea, even goes to some reserve games out of interest - he's clearly in it for the right reasons and his track record entitles him to put his henchmen into power and run the club in a slightly unorthodox way. Still he appointed Peter Kenyon and Ron Gourlay as CEOs earlier on in his time to help build them up.

I don't know about that. Wasn't there rumours that Abramovich sought to buy such a high profile "asset" to avoid the purge on super-rich, oil tycoons by the Russian govt? Although, even if that may be true, he has clearly invested a lot of money into Chelsea and sought to make the club as prestigious as possible. How I'd love an owner half as interested as him.

Just before the window yet again. Good thing or bad thing ?   

A Mowbray pal. Good thing or not ?

Another who refers to the 'fans, owners and many stakeholders'.  Who are these many ?

Whose agency hymn sheet is he singing off ?

Two other words - Paul Senior

It's certainly going to be another interesting second half of the season !

"As CEO, I will pool all my previous football knowledge, skills and experience to work with the Owners, the management team and staff, both on and off the pitch, plus the supporters and the many stakeholders attached to the club to continue to build a strong and stable platform for future growth and success.”

First job, stop spouting corporate bollocks.

Second job, crack on and good luck.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

"As CEO, I will pool all my previous football knowledge, skills and experience to work with the Owners, the management team and staff, both on and off the pitch, plus the supporters and the many stakeholders attached to the club to continue to build a strong and stable platform for future growth and success.”

First job, stop spouting corporate bollocks.

Second job, crack on and good luck.

The many stakeholders.... ? 

• Backroom

Not ideal timing when things are going well on the pitch but for what it's worth from a Coventry fan:

For all the clueless, inept CEOs, chairmen and directors appointed since SISU arrived, Waggott was the only one who seemed genuinely interested in turning the club around for the better. Worked tirelessly and was integral to us returning to the Ricoh

not as many fans here mind:

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/steve-waggott.82562/

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not ideal timing when things are going well on the pitch but for what it's worth from a Coventry fan:

For all the clueless, inept CEOs, chairmen and directors appointed since SISU arrived, Waggott was the only one who seemed genuinely interested in turning the club around for the better. Worked tirelessly and was integral to us returning to the Ricoh

not as many fans here mind:

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/steve-waggott.82562/

Well that positivity didn't last long now you've brought more 'references' to the table. :lol: I 'thanked' you as well. I feel dirty

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Well that positivity didn't last long now you've brought more 'references' to the table. :lol: I 'thanked' you as well. I feel dirty

No takesy backsies!

Archived