BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a strange game to watch.

Never a penalty for me but posters on here stating that it was a penalty shows how much the game has changed from the one I used to play.

The unwanted replay and the trip to Wimbledon will now be midweek :( after todays results

Had an early night so this morning started reading the match thread from the beginning and when it got to 3-0 stopped reading and went searching for the highlights , was not expecting that 

NOTE to self: read the full thread before watching highlights in the future, no nasty suprises

7 hours ago, JAL said:

The penalty from Harper is an absolute definite red card.

If the referee hadn't have issued a red card his season would have been over for Harpers deliberate pulling down as the striker sets for a free shot at goal with no other defender in sight.

Harper receives a simple, easy pass into his feet, pity the lad has his head right up his own arse needlessly losing possession then giving away a cheap penalty getting himself correctly sent off in the process ........what a game changer from the young Loanee for all the wrong reasons.

Let's hope Harpers sent back to West Brom another costly Mowbray signing.

The pass to Harper was mental. Harpers lack of ball control atrocious. A tippy tappy example of how to turn a goal kick into a goal chance...for the oppo.. Pathetic shite.

Harper deserved the red card and so did Bennet who stamped on the guys goolies.

Dont waste time appealing.

Did Samuel deseve red for his petulance? I did not see it but mentioned by the BBC.

No one for Rovers jumped to head at those 2 corners, not just lead boots Nyambe. i can see why the Canadian wannabe goalie is a bench warmer, he did not move an inch on either.

Crewe missed enough to have won comfortably in the second half and may come to regret that.

Motivator Mowbray noticable for his abscence from the touchline. Does he have a bad back forcing him to sit motionless.

34 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The pass to Harper was mental. Harpers lack of ball control atrocious. A tippy tappy example of how to turn a goal kick into a goal chance...for the oppo.. Pathetic shite.

Did Samuel deseve red for his petulance? I did not see it but mentioned by the BBC.

No one for Rovers jumped to head at those 2 corners, not just lead boots Nyambe. i can see why the Canadian wannabe goalie is a bench warmer, he did not move an inch on either.

Crewe missed enough to have won comfortably in the second half and may come to regret that.

Motivator Mowbray noticable for his abscence from the touchline. Does he have a bad back forcing him to sit motionless.

I only saw it on TV but like you, thought the red for Bennett was spot on. Plenty of people on other sites and social media stating otherwise though!.

14 hours ago, AAK said:

The ref should be banned not Harper. He obviously doesn't know the laws of the game, the rule book now says and has done for a couple seasons that a yellow card should be given if the foul is inside the box and the opposing team is awarded a penalty, as that is the advantage given rather than sending a player off. Even BBC mentioned it.

Surely they should both be overturned probably not as that won't look great for the referee club, so maybe just one. As for Bennett wasn't it just a one match ban last time as it was 2 yellows? So it should be a 3 game ban this time.

I don't think either will be overturned. Imagine the FA having to admit that a team got TWO sent off and both were mistakes?

If there are going to be any televised replays, I'm pretty sure this is the one that would be picked.

As far as the game goes (from the limited highlights), then Harper was an idiot but clearly grabbed the bloke who was passed him and by the laws as they stand, even after the recent changes, was a red card. For Bennett, the ref hadn't seen anything - he turned away and play was continuing, so it seems purely down to the assistant who  saw something after the cameras moved away and called the ref back.

Even leaving out a few of the first choice team it's obvious we can beat Crew (with 11 men) so we should certainly be trying in the replay.

Hang on. The Bennett incident wasn’t caught on camera. I don’t think anyone who wasn’t there can have an opinion. The other one was soft but probably was right now, in the modern game, unfortunately.  The 2 goals from corners though, I don’t care how many men you have, that was rank bad defending. Basic balls lobbed into the box, there were plenty of defenders but none got a head on it. Very poor.

Lessons to be learned here irrespective of your opinion on whether they deserved to get red cards or whether we can successfully appeal them.

As far as I am concerned the first one with Harper summed up our approach to games this season. Put ourselves into a good position in games, then manage to find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot and put ourselves into a difficult situation when the opposition were offering nothing until that stage.

Harper did similar against Oxford the other week - came on when the game was won and started mucking around in possession taking too many touches thinking he's world class and getting caught out in dangerous positions. Fortunately on those occasions Oxford didn't manage to score from them but to see him doing similar yesterday suggests he's repeating the same mistakes.

I don't think it was a red card. By the letter of the law it is denying a goalscoring opportunity however in the last couple of seasons penalty kicks are awarded and the player picks up a yellow at worst.

More worrying for me is that having been absolutely dominant and comfortable at home against a poor League Two side we have managed to contrive to self-destruct by putting ourselves into a situation where the referee has decided to red card two senior players and because of that we have surrendered a 3 goal lead at home. This sort of thing simply shouldn't happen if you are a well drilled, ruthless outfit gunning for promotion.

Mowbray says it was 'one of those games' which I find to be a worrying comment. He should be analysing why yet again we've made life harder work than it needs to be and why yet again we've been unable to deliver a 90 minute professional performance having had the game won after 20 minutes.

Promotion winning sides don't make those sort of errors at home against poor sides. To see us doing it against Crewe is alarming.

The draw tonight for we would determine my approach to the replay. If we get a horrible away tie to a Championship or bottom end Premier League club I'd be in favour of sending the U23s to Crewe and focus the first XI on the massive league games.

Watched the highlights in the early hours. The Harper one was a red for me, he had no chance of getting the ball so any sort of attempt to put off or impede the striker runs a severe risk of attracting a red card regardless of the law change. At 3-0 up he should have let the keeper take his chances.

The Bennett one wasn't conclusive from the highlights but from the reaction of the opposition player there's been a tangle of legs whilst they're both on the ground and Bennett has kicked out at his opponent and caught him in the privates. It would be fairly unusual for a player to feign that particular injury to get an opponent sent off. The referee appeared to be looking back at the incident as he ran off.

Only Bennett will really know if he's done this intentionally or recklessly in a moment of petulance but if he has its far worse than Harper's card as we were already down to ten at the time.

Just pleased we got a draw out of it. A defeat from 3-0 up might have been a real morale sapper. We should have enough to beat them in the replay if we can keep 11 on the pitch and we're not not going to go up because we had to play one game more.

Hopefully we can go through and put this down to a one off aberration caused by one ill judged and one pretty unforgiveable moment of indiscipline.

The weakness of our squad has to be a real worry for Mowbray going forward. I didn't see yesterday's game but the performances of several fringe players against Barnet left a lot to be desired. The soft underbelly we show from set plays is alarming.

Bennett is now looking at a four match ban if there isn't a successful appeal. The footage isn't conclusive which will make any appeal difficult.

Just now, AggyBlue said:

I didn't see a stamp. I've recorded the BBC program so I'll have a watch sometime today

From what I saw the highlights aren't conclusive so possibly a different piece of footage was shown immediately after the game.

If its happened its not a stamp per se. He's kicked out whilst they're both lying on the ground in a tangle of legs and caught the other guy in the unmentionables.

I wouldn't normally advocate this because I love the FA Cup and I hate it when "big" clubs do it but I'd put out a mixture of reserves and fringe first-teamers for the replay. It's far more important for us to get out of this third division hell-hole than have a cup run. 

We're already losing players through suspension and we don't want to lose more through injury and exhaustion. One more game doesn't sound much but too many games can be mentally as well as physically wearing. 

What stamp? Even on the second showing of it on those highlights, I didn't see him touch him. He put his foot down to change direction, but he was miles away from stamping on his bits and the fella's reaction wasn't that of someone who had had their goolies stamped on. 

Still can't see anything on here. Seems a really soft one!

1 minute ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

What stamp? Even on the second showing of it on those highlights, I didn't see him touch him. He put his foot down to change direction, but he was miles away from stamping on his bits and the fella's reaction wasn't that of someone who had had their goolies stamped on. 

Still can't see anything on here. Seems a really soft one!

Weird. I see Bennets foot change angle and insert to private quarters. Good job I'm not on the appeal panel.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Don't have an issue with the pass, it's accurate, weighted right for the receiver, who's in space but then what the passer doesn't know is that his colleagues head is also in space.

Harpers got to go back asap after this another Gladwin signing from Mowbray and his crew.

I saw it that the linesman made the decision. There was a 'coming together' which at the time looked like a free kick, the referee ignored it and allowed the game to continue and ran off towards the half way line, Bennett and the Crewe player remained tangled up and because Bennett got up first the linesman began waving his flag and no doubt radioed his friend telling him it was a red card. There's no way the referee was in a position to judge it to be a red and I don't think he was even looking at the incident.

It annoys me when linesmen don't give the most trivial of fouls right under their noses because the referee has to take the lead and yet seem quite happy to start awarding red cards. Some consistency would be useful.

10 hours ago, JAL said:

The penalty from Harper is an absolute definite red card.

If the referee hadn't have issued a red card his season would have been over for Harpers deliberate pulling down as the striker sets for a free shot at goal with no other defender in sight.

Harper receives a simple, easy pass into his feet, pity the lad has his head right up his own arse needlessly losing possession then giving away a cheap penalty getting himself correctly sent off in the process ........what a game changer from the young Loanee for all the wrong reasons.

Let's hope Harpers sent back to West Brom another costly Mowbray signing.

I was referring to the fact he didn't send their player off. Do you think he got that call correct? 

Ya, foolish from Harper, but "another costly Mowbray signing", really? He has got more transfers right than wrong, so don't get your point there. Also. by and large, people have been giving good reviews for Harper, but you want to just write the young lad off for a foolish mistake? Did you say before  that you coached kids? 

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I saw it that the linesman made the decision. There was a 'coming together' which at the time looked like a free kick, the referee ignored it and allowed the game to continue and ran off towards the half way line, Bennett and the Crewe player remained tangled up and because Bennett got up first the linesman began waving his flag and no doubt radioed his friend telling him it was a red card. There's no way the referee was in a position to judge it to be a red and I don't think he was even looking at the incident.

It annoys me when linesmen don't give the most trivial of fouls right under their noses because the referee has to take the lead and yet seem quite happy to start awarding red cards. Some consistency would be useful.

Maybe arbitro can enlighten us but the linesman or assistant referee will usually be acting under strict Instructions from the referee. 

Archived