BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you think the pass to Harper was a good pass you obviously know even less about football than I thought you did. He was on the edge of our own penalty area with his back to play with no support.

Perfectly good pass into feet, weighted correctly, pretty much along the floor think your issue is more on positioning which OK in amateur football you don't want but try arguing your case with Pep Gardiola these players are being paid big sums of money to play.

Just now, JAL said:

Perfectly good pass into feet, weighted correctly, pretty much along the floor think your issue is more on positioning which OK in amateur football you don't want but try arguing your case with Pep Gardiola these players are being paid big sums of money to play.

Even De Bruyne wouldn't have thanked you for that pass. Two players to blame, Harper and the full back, both amateurish play but the full back has to take responsibility there, he was facing play and could see what the options were. If I was Harper I would be thinking " He's passed the ball to me so I must be un marked, therefore I can try to turn with the ball ".

In the games I've seen in the flesh this season we've caused ourselves problems at the back because players under slight pressure have passed the ball to a player who was in a position that was worse than the passer was in. Sunday was a classic example. Causing us to lose possession in the last third. We have been lucky not to concede from quite a few of these incidents because the standards are so low in this division.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even De Bruyne wouldn't have thanked you for that pass. Two players to blame, Harper and the full back, both amateurish play but the full back has to take responsibility there, he was facing play and could see what the options were. If I was Harper I would be thinking " He's passed the ball to me so I must be un marked, therefore I can try to turn with the ball ".

In the games I've seen in the flesh this season we've caused ourselves problems at the back because players under slight pressure have passed the ball to a player who was in a position that was worse than the passer was in. Sunday was a classic example. Causing us to lose possession in the last third. We have been lucky not to concede from quite a few of these incidents because the standards are so low in this division.

Ya, you would wonder if he knew players were close. If he did, Row Z would have done. I presume he got a man on call from someone 

Who passed it to him? 

12 minutes ago, TonyM said:

The Bennett ban is a real set back to our promotion hopes this season.  A key player and his ban, particularly in questionable circumstances by incompetent officials, is a real blow.  That's twice now he's been unfortunate to be sent off at the hands of officials who are simply not up to the job.  Pity the FA isn't so quick to hand out suspensions to incompetent officials.  

Whether the referee made other bad decisions or not (and he obviously did so "or not" probably isn't the right term") is besides the point. Some are judging based on what  video evidence is available (I need to have a closer look only watched the highlights once) but some people who were there say they clearly saw Bennett kick the other player right in front of the linesman. So that's a red card I'm afraid and he was also wearing the captains armband at the time. So Bennett needs to be fined for lashing out like that as it ended up costing Rovers the game. I actually like Bennett as a person (I don't hate most of his teammates but I don't particularly see most of them as anything more than typical footballers) but he should face additional consequences to compensate the club for the equal consequences both face already. 

As for Harper it just sounds like plain stupidity. I don't think that cost Rovers the game though. If Rovers had lost that lead with 10 men I would be far less understanding.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Whether the referee made other bad decisions or not is besides the point. Some are judging based on what  video evidence is available (I need to have a closer look only watched the highlights once) but some people who were there say they clearly saw Bennett kick the other player right in front of the linesman. So that's a red card I'm afraid and he was also wearing the captains armband at the time. So Bennett needs to be fined for lashing out like that as it ended up costing Rovers the game. I actually like Bennett as a person (I don't hate most of his teammates but I don't particularly see most of them as anything more than typical footballers) but he should face additional consequences to compensate the club for the equal consequences both face already.  

All I saw was a coming together of two players who then tried to untangle themselves before the Crewe defender spied an opportunity to throw himself to the ground and spring to his feet when the red card was shown.  I didn't think it was a red card yesterday afternoon and still haven't seen anything to suggest it was.  

Not Bennetts first showing of petulance, and his absence will cost us in an area we are short in.

Didn't go but having seen the highlights, that first goal was indicative of Harper so far, messing around in dangerous areas. A very strange signing, if that had been say Tomlinson, we could have at least potentially reaped the rewards of a lesson learnt in the future, as it is West Brom will.

Good to see Graham and Samuel in good form, Graham for me deserves the shirt following from an excellent performance on Tuesday too, but the 2 are pushing each other, for me Nuttall as promising as he is is a bit behind both of them but hopefully theres plenty of goals there.

Shame we realistically need to keep one of them on the bench.

Harper has all the attributes to become a top player apart from a brain, however he is only 17 so he's got plenty of time. I think he would have been a cracking signing in 2 or 3 years but not now. Thought we did well with 9 but the marking for both corners was awful, and that keeper looks dodgy as well, he showed how good Raya is for his age.

31 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The Bennett ban is a real set back to our promotion hopes this season.  A key player and his ban, particularly in questionable circumstances by incompetent officials, is a real blow.  That's twice now he's been unfortunate to be sent off at the hands of officials who are simply not up to the job.  Pity the FA isn't so quick to hand out suspensions to incompetent officials.  

How many times does he have to get red carded before it becomes a problem with his discipline?

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

How many times does he have to get red carded before it becomes a problem with his discipline?

That depends if it's warranted, the one against Wigan was a joke and this on contentious at best.

We'll massively miss him as I think we lack energy when he isn't in the team, Whittingham isn't the answer out wide I'd even prefer Samuel out there (think Roberts played the role to ok effect under Sam) to Whittingham.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

That depends if it's warranted, the one against Wigan was a joke and this on contentious at best.

We'll massively miss him as I think we lack energy when he isn't in the team, Whittingham isn't the answer out wide I'd even prefer Samuel out there (think Roberts played the role to ok effect under Sam) to Whittingham.

The thing is apparently there exists no video footage of the episode yesterday, but apparently he keeps getting in to positions where he gives the ref the opportunity to send him off.

Archived