BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

5 hours ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

What stamp? Even on the second showing of it on those highlights, I didn't see him touch him. He put his foot down to change direction, but he was miles away from stamping on his bits and the fella's reaction wasn't that of someone who had had their goolies stamped on. 

Still can't see anything on here. Seems a really soft one!

It’s clear Bennett’s foot went down with some force but it appears to hit the pitch. I was watching play when this happened so have only seen the replay. I reckon if Bennett had made contact with that stamp the Crewe wouldn’t have got up quickly.

Not a red IMV. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I only played as an amateur but If I was getting 3 games for the Wigan incident and then 4 for this one I'd thinking about packing it in. I couldn't play in the game football has now become. 

Me too Tyrone. Fair, physical contact should be part and parcel of the game.

There was no malice from Bennett, he was just trying to get back on his feet. If there was any malice intended, then the Crewe lad would now surely be singing soprano from where Bennett's feet were originally.

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I only played as an amateur but If I was getting 3 games for the Wigan incident and then 4 for this one I'd thinking about packing it in. I couldn't play in the game football has now become. 

Nor me TS, if it gets much worse I don't think I'll be able to watch it either.

As a side note, the women's game is more physical than the men's professional game. 

Has to be Conway in for Bennett if fit as Whittingham cannot play out wide. It’s not ideal given he usually plays wide left but I don’t see what other options we have. Don’t move Antonsson from the left that’s for sure as he’s on fire.

Highlights that we desperately need wide reinforcements in January.

I agree with the general consensus;

Harper one was a yellow and a pen.

The Bennett one is a joke.

Forgetting “parody Jal” and Revidge, (who I can only assume had his wife run off with Bennett) those two decisions against us aside, what about the plethora of other decisions the referee got wrong? The second yellow before half time for them is as clear cut as it gets.

Suss ref. I’d complain to the FA personally. The trouble is, that would probably bring more poor decisions in retaliation. 

16 minutes ago, Biz said:

Forgetting “parody Jal” and Revidge, (who I can only assume had his wife run off with Bennett) those two decisions against us aside, what about the plethora of other decisions the referee got wrong? The second yellow before half time for them is as clear cut as it gets.

Suss ref. I’d complain to the FA personally. The trouble is, that would probably bring more poor decisions in retaliation. 

It is very surprising to me that we didnt appeal Bennetts 

6 hours ago, Biz said:

Harper one was a yellow and a pen

General consensus ? what is with the lack of understanding to the laws of the game and the slight changes to red card penalty offences somebody even posted a few pages back the new wording clearly showing that the referee is correct in his judgement of issuing a red card.

Give me strength and we thought Burnley fans were thick. 

The Crewe player briefly put his hand over his XXXX, indicating he'd been kicked there. If he had have been kicked it's more likely he'd be stood still & bent over, not running off & pretending he was nursing an injury in full view of the assistant ref who fell for it. 

Disappointed Rovers will not fight the FA. Is there something we don't know?? Are we looked at as being creditable if accepting (wrong) decisions??

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Would have probably been left to Cheston to put the case together, so they must have thought better of it.

Some truth in this.

Cheston thoughts: ".......An expenses trip down to the FA on first class rail, overnight stay for both player and club rep .....£££?? club rep??..."

If they aren't appealing the Bennett one then there must be a camera angle that shows him in not a good light. As for Wigan, he made a reckless lunge for the 1st booking and dived for the 2nd.

Was it not Wharton who passed the ball to Harper?

It doesn't really matter, we have a strong enough squad to cope with missing those two players. Conway should be back who provides better service to the front men than Bennett but doesn't have his drive. Harper has been a waste of space. Stupid signing.

Our promotion hopes certainly don't hang on those two being missing for a few games.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Funnily enough people used to make the same facetious comment about Lowe before coming round to my way of thinking about him a couple of years or so later. Lol.

I was there in the JW stand upper. I've also watched video of the highlights etc.

The lead up to the penalty was, in my opinion, started by Leutwiler passing the ball to the left back position. I thought it was Caddis but it turns out to be Wharton who is being closed down so passes to Harper. And we all know what happened next. Up to that point I thought Harper was having a far better game than the last time I saw him.

The Bennett incident :-  NG and Bennett had tangled on the deck. The ball had moved on to near the halfway line and the ref blew for a foul and a free kick to Crewe; nothing to do with Bennett or NG. The linesman was flagging for what I thought was a tangle of legs between the two on the floor and expected each to receive a yellow. The video shows Bennett trying to win the ball from NG who is on the deck, the ball probably catches him in the goolies, and Bennett goes down. No stamping. This was a very harsh red.

From 3-1, Crewe were dishing it out knowing they could get away with it. Samuel was my MOM by a long way. He was fouled throughout the second half and the ref did nothing.

Wharton played well and has the makings of a good centre back.

Travis didn't put himself about as much as I expected. I think a teenage David Dunn or Damian Johnson would have performed with more enthusiasm.

Nyambe needs a good coach. Pep Guardiola would improve him 200% :)

Give me Raya any day over Leutwiler.

Caddis played well at left back, showed he can use both feet, and his professional football brain showed towards the end when we were really under the cosh.

It was a strange game. Once we were winning 3-0, the ref seemed to do his damnedest to help Crewe to the extent that after dismissing Bennett, I thought he had put his life savings on Crewe winning the game. Then, later at 3-3 he seemed to change moods again and felt sorry for our embattled nine men so showed a leaning towards us. All in all a terrible official who should have been totally impartial throughout.

Finally, I hope our 9 men appreciated the standing ovation they got as they came off the field. That performance shows there is a great dressing room spirit at Ewood.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

It doesn't really matter, we have a strong enough squad to cope with missing those two players. Conway should be back who provides better service to the front men than Bennett but doesn't have his drive. Harper has been a waste of space. Stupid signing.

Our promotion hopes certainly don't hang on those two being missing for a few games.

Agree on Harper, waste of time and it wouldnt bother me if he was banned for the rest of the season. Bennett is a loss imo however, especially as we now will not have him for 3 league games in the league up to Christmas. With Chapman being injured, we dont really have another right sided player to play on the right of the 3 just behind the main forward. Conway can play there, but is just coming back from injury and doesnt have the pace of Bennett. Whits is left footed and not a wide player let alone wide right. Perhaps Samuel might be the best fit to play there?

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Crewe manager thought Harpers red was harsh

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The Bennett ban is a real set back to our promotion hopes this season.  A key player and his ban, particularly in questionable circumstances by incompetent officials, is a real blow.  That's twice now he's been unfortunate to be sent off at the hands of officials who are simply not up to the job.  Pity the FA isn't so quick to hand out suspensions to incompetent officials.  

Try and read of the laws of the game then you'll you know a bit more Parsonblue and it will help you to understand the game of football.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even De Bruyne wouldn't have thanked you for that pass. Two players to blame, Harper and the full back, both amateurish play but the full back has to take responsibility there, he was facing play and could see what the options were. If I was Harper I would be thinking " He's passed the ball to me so I must be un marked, therefore I can try to turn with the ball ".

I dont know if you have played football in your life, but i used to play not so long ago as a midfielder and I have to tell you that even though i wasnt that good ,I always knew if there was someone behind me, next to me or around me. Everytime when i was moving or someone was passing the ball to me i was just taking a look behind me to see where the other players are. I am telling you, no matter how good you are if you play football you just have it as a habit. If that Harper guy didnt know that there was someone around him(considering where he was) he is nothing but a conman

14 minutes ago, skous18 said:

I dont know if you have played football in your life, but i used to play not so long ago as a midfielder and I have to tell you that even though i wasnt that good ,I always knew if there was someone behind me, next to me or around me. Everytime when i was moving or someone was passing the ball to me i was just taking a look behind me to see where the other players are. I am telling you, no matter how good you are if you play football you just have it as a habit. If that Harper guy didnt know that there was someone around him(considering where he was) he is nothing but a conman

Prepare for a tackle from behind from Tyrone for that one. 

We're going to have to be able to deal with Bennett's absence. At the end of the day its no different to if he picked up an injury on Sunday. He's now out for the next 4 games so we need to slot someone else into the first XI who can hit the ground running. Over a 46 game season plus cup fixtures we are going to have absentees through injury and suspension and need to be able to deal with those. The reason Burnley have done so well recently is because they very rarely get injuries or suspensions but when they do they are able to cope with the enforced changes smoothly. 

Whether its the dreadful officials or sloppiness on our part I do feel we're picking up too many silly yellows and reds which are harming our chances. Bennett I sympathise with for his 2 reds but a lot of others have picked up daft bookings when there is no need for it. One off the top of my head was Smallwood's booking for diving in the first half at Blackpool. Stupidity really at such an early stage in the game. Up until the Barnet game the other week we had picked up more bookings than the opposition in about 80% of our fixtures this season and that has to stop. I am quite happy to lambaste the officials whenever an opportunity arises but feel we need to control things better on that front and stop presenting these inept buffoons with opportunities to do us in.

Game management is crucial in getting over the line to promotion. Once in the driving seat in games we have to be able to see it through and deal with the situation, yet I worry from what I have seen that we haven't got enough 'nous' to carry us comfortably over the line in games. We're making life hard work for ourselves by giving away soft goals and accumulating bookings and suspensions too quickly.

Archived