BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You were wrong then as you are now.

Bennett was clearly playing for a free kick in Mulgrew territory. He had no need to go down like that. He dived like he was pissing around at the swimming pool. I'm surprised he didn't get involved in some 'heavy petting' while he was on the ground.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bennett was clearly playing for a free kick in Mulgrew territory. He had no need to go down like that. He dived like he was pissing around at the swimming pool. I'm surprised he didn't get involved in some 'heavy petting' while he was on the ground.

He saved the 'petting' for Ewood ;) and he was too far away from the Wigan monster for any close encounter

10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I remember Fergie kicking the water bucket.

I was upstairs in the Riverside but towards the BBE.

Was on Nuttall Street at the Blackburn End, where the stand was on an angle (why was it built like that?), standing./ 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Was on Nuttall Street at the Blackburn End, where the stand was on an angle (why was it built like that?), standing./ 

I only went on that part once, a reserve game v WBA, when I spent time on all terraced parts of Ewood just by walking around. Saw McEvoy score whilst I stood as the only person in the Darwen End and he acknowledged my applause for a cracking shot.

FB_IMG_15122975699354434.jpg

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Yes, 1-0. Memory fading. Bruck was a cheat, went over like he'd been hit by Cassius Clay. 

Remember the huge crowd, must have been 10,000 from Coventry. They were on the up then under Jimmy Hill,  new West Midlands motor industry booming while Lancashire textiles was in decline, the way the 2 clubs were going seemed so symbolic.

Did we finish fourth that season ? Wasn't a great Rovers side, don't know why it was so high. Joyce was poor, Darling inconsistent, Connelly past his prime, Sharples was slow and Barton was a bit of a joke really. 

Still had the great Sir Keith, and a declining Ronnie and Duggle though

Yes we did finish fourth. As you say not a great team but we had a few top players in Keith Newton, Ferguson ( obviously seen as our danger man by Jimmy Hill and therefore targeted ) Barry Hole the poor man's Martin Peter's but still a very good player, Billy Wilson was also becoming a very tenacious full back. . Barton in goal was pretty average and not big enough. Ronnie, Dougie and John Connelly, Walter Joyce were all coming to the end. Ronnie and George Sharples were good footballers but lacked the pace and height to play in the centre of defence. Malcolm Darling had all the skills but blew hot and cold.

I still think that was the first time I saw a player actually dive to get another player sent off. My memory of the game is we huffed and puffed for an hour with ten men and had the best of the game but we couldn't blow their house down. They had a break away and scored a soft goal. Their man mountain centre half ,George Curtis, played us on his own at the back. He got a head or a foot to everything.

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes we did finish fourth. As you say not a great team but we had a few top players in Keith Newton, Ferguson ( obviously seen as our danger man by Jimmy Hill and therefore targeted ) Barry Hole the poor man's Martin Peter's but still a very good player, Billy Wilson was also becoming a very tenacious full back. . Barton in goal was pretty average and not big enough. Ronnie, Dougie and John Connelly, Walter Joyce were all coming to the end. Ronnie and George Sharples were good footballers but lacked the pace and height to play in the centre of defence. Malcolm Darling had all the skills but blew hot and cold.

I still think that was the first time I saw a player actually dive to get another player sent off. My memory of the game is we huffed and puffed for an hour with ten men and had the best of the game but we couldn't blow their house down. They had a break away and scored a soft goal. Their man mountain centre half ,George Curtis, played us on his own at the back. He got a head or a foot to everything.

Bobby Gould scored at the Darwen End. I think, not checked it. We did create a few chances though as I recall. Odd no sub named for that game.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They were poor red cards, especially the one at Wigan. The fact that the club hasn't bothered to appeal tells me more about modern day football than anything else.

Quite right. You used to have to practically commit murder to get sent off. Now an unintentional foul can result in a sending off. It's getting pathetic and giving a penalty AND a sending off is just ridiculously over the top.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Bobby Gould scored at the Darwen End. I think, not checked it. We did create a few chances though as I recall. Odd no sub named for that game.

Yeah I think you're right about Gould scoring. The thing I remember about him that day was he was chasing a long ball out of defence with Ronnie Clayton who was a few yards in front of him.. Neither of them had any chance of getting to the ball because the keeper had it well covered.  As he caught up with Ronnie Gould gave him an almighty kick right up the arse. A bit like Andy Todd and Dugarry only on the run !

As we have discussed things were different then and Gould just got away with a booking. It was a really daft thing to do and Ronnie, who was a real gentleman, looked more affronted than hurt. Nowadays it would be a straight red and a 3 match suspension.

We need to decide how important this game is. On reflection I think we should give it our best shot and send a strong 11 over there. I'd have Dack and Charlie Boy on the bench but other than that play our best side. Hull at home in the next round is a game worth having. If it was a away I'd be less inclined to go for it at Crewe. I take it Gladwin is still injured ?

Raya

Caddis, Downing, Wharton, Williams

Conway, Tomlinson, Smallwood, Antonnson.

Samuel, Nuttall.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hopefully leave Mulgrew, Smallwood, Conway, Antonsson and Dack at home.

Id only consider resting Mulgrew, Smallwood and Dack on the basis they might pick up an injury.

Id leave Conway and Graham at home because they're crap. Great chance to give Tomlinson another 90 minutes of first team action.

Id go for Tyrone's team with the possible exception of Hart for Conway. Should still have plenty left to get past  Crewe.

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Id only consider resting Mulgrew, Smallwood and Dack on the basis they might pick up an injury.

Id leave Conway and Graham at home because they're crap. Great chance to give Tomlinson another 90 minutes of first team action.

Id go for Tyrone's team with the possible exception of Hart for Conway. Should still have plenty left to get past  Crewe.

An unproven left back for a solid right winger? Genius :rolleyes: Thank God it's mowbray picking the team. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

An unproven left back for a solid right winger? Genius :rolleyes: Thank God it's mowbray picking the team. 

The thing that's going through my mind is that Conway has been injured most of the season. He played the whole game on Saturday. Will he be up for another 90 minutes so soon ?  If he is I'd start him but I can't see him going the 90 miinutes.

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In case you hadnt noticed Conway lines up on the left more often than not as an inverted winger. 

I take it you're having a bad day?

You said you would go for Tyrone's team,except you would have Hart in for Conway. In Tyrone's team,Conway is on the right. See below

No,having a great day thanks. 

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to decide how important this game is. On reflection I think we should give it our best shot and send a strong 11 over there. I'd have Dack and Charlie Boy on the bench but other than that play our best side. Hull at home in the next round is a game worth having. If it was a away I'd be less inclined to go for it at Crewe. I take it Gladwin is still injured ?

Raya

Caddis, Downing, Wharton, Williams

Conway Tomlinson Smallwood Antonnson

Samuel, Nuttall.

Id go with a similar lineup to last time. We were out of site until everything went tits up. Keep Dack and the Boss on the bench and only bring them on if needed. A start for Tomlinson is both deserved and with Whits and Evans out, necessary as we only really have Harper as another option.  

Looking at the fixtures coming up along with the midfield injuries we have I'd be inclined to mix up like last time out. There's also some of the younger lads who need another chance to stake a claim. Tomlinson could realistically compete to be Smallwoods CM partner, and Travis could be the answer at Right Back with Nyambe looking like the weak link. I'd have Dack nowhere near the team its not worth the risk.

Raya

Travis       Ward       Wharton       Caddis

Conway   Tomlinson    Harper    Hart

Nuttall        Graham

Bench: Fisher, Nyambe, Downing,  Smallwood/Evans, Antonnson, Rankin-Costollo, Samuel.

Archived