BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Looking at the fixtures coming up along with the midfield injuries we have I'd be inclined to mix up like last time out. There's also some of the younger lads who need another chance to stake a claim. Tomlinson could realistically compete to be Smallwoods CM partner, and Travis could be the answer at Right Back with Nyambe looking like the weak link. I'd have Dack nowhere near the team its not worth the risk.

Raya

Travis       Ward       Wharton       Caddis

Conway   Tomlinson    Harper    Hart

Nuttall        Graham

Bench: Fisher, Nyambe, Downing,  Smallwood/Evans, Antonnson, Rankin-Costollo, Samuel.

Well that's the other option. Like I said how much do we want to win this tie ?

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Well we lost Bennett for 3 league game by playing him in the last game. If 11 players stay on the pitch there's no reason we can't win with a weakened side.

I could be wrong but I don't see us winning with that team. You can be sure Crewe won't be resting anybody.  We're on a good run at the moment, I'd like that to continue from a confidence point of view.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but has anyone picked up if this is pay on the day?

Just rung Crewe and they tell me there is a window at the away stand where you can purchase tickets. Not quite a cash turnstile but as near as damn it. As it stands, the game appears to be going ahead but the lady didn’t think they had under soil heating. The temperatures (even down here in lowland, leafy Cheshire) are set to fall to just below zero tonight and not rising much above zero during Tuesday. I would say the game is in the balance.

Edit - It’s actually falling to minus 9 degrees c tonight and will be at zero or just below that all day Tuesday. If they don’t have under soil heating, I’d say the game will struggle to go ahead.

40 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Just rung Crewe and they tell me there is a window at the away stand where you can purchase tickets. Not quite a cash turnstile but as near as damn it. As it stands, the game appears to be going ahead but the lady didn’t think they had under soil heating. The temperatures (even down here in lowland, leafy Cheshire) are set to fall to just below zero tonight and not rising much above zero during Tuesday. I would say the game is in the balance.

Edit - It’s actually falling to minus 9 degrees c tonight and will be at zero or just below that all day Tuesday. If they don’t have under soil heating, I’d say the game will struggle to go ahead.

Could end up playing this on 3rd round day...

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

I can't see us playing if the weather takes a turn for the worst. I'm also in Rochdale and a gritter just drove past my window.

23 hours ago, Phil T said:

I'm not sure either at Wigan were clearly wrong.

The first was certainly deserved for the late challenge. I don't think there can be much debate against that. The second seemed like a straight case of simulation. I mentioned on the podcast that I'd watched it a few times, and the guy doesn't touch Bennett. Bennett dives out of the way, but if it's clear that there's no contact (even if you avoid it), and especially if you make a meal of it, which he did, then I've got no sympathy, really.

If the club isn't appealing on any count, then the bottom line is that they think it won't come to anything. Do bans get extended if you lose an appeal, or am I imagining that?

You can't appeal a second yellow and the one against Crewe wasn't on camera as it was off the ball... the club said they can't appeal it because it was Bennett's word against the assistant's. I trust Bennett over the second rate w@nkers we have officiating our games these days, but the FA obviously wouldn't.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Did they?

I think they said along the lines that the footage wasn't conclusive and so wasn't enough to overturn the decision on appeal. So basically the bigwigs would stick up for their linesman and referee's rather than the player or dubious 'evidence'.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

You can't appeal a second yellow and the one against Crewe wasn't on camera as it was off the ball...

It was on camera, but sounded like it was too inconclusive to make a judgement on. Sounds like there was a bit of a tussle at the very least, so if you get involved in that sort of thing, a yellow card is inevitable.

Just reading back some of the comments about a replay and red cards being a worse outcome than being knocked out. I'd always rather still be in a competition than out of it, particularly with it being the most prestigious domestic cup competition. There's no harm in playing a completely second-string side if you're worried about first-team fatigue.

Just now, Phil T said:

It was on camera, but sounded like it was too inconclusive to make a judgement on. Sounds like there was a bit of a tussle at the very least, so if you get involved in that sort of thing, a yellow card is inevitable.

Just reading back some of the comments about a replay and red cards being a worse outcome than being knocked out. I'd always rather still be in a competition than out of it, particularly with it being the most prestigious domestic cup competition. There's no harm in playing a completely second-string side if you're worried about first-team fatigue.

You don't feel the fatigue as much when you're winning, ask the 'City players.

It's losing streaks that sap your energy.

It's not necessarily the fatigue factor I worry about, but if we play say, Mulgrew or Dack and they get a bad injury.

The next 5 months could define what kind of club Blackburn Rovers is for the forseeable future, the FA Cup just doesn't come into it this season for me.

Way I see it, we played half a team against them the other week and it looked like it could've been a cricket score if we didn't play a big chunk of the game with 9 men. We can easily afford to rest some of our big hitters and expect to win.

I'd like to see:

Leutwiler

Caddis Ward Wharton Williams

Conway Tomlinson Harper Antonsson

Graham Nuttall

If the game at Ewood is anything to go by, then that team should be more than enough, but could still have Dack and others on the bench, along with (hopefully) Rankin-Costello if we're looking comfortable in the second half.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It's not necessarily the fatigue factor I worry about, but if we play say, Mulgrew or Dack and they get a bad injury.

The next 5 months could define what kind of club Blackburn Rovers is for the forseeable future, the FA Cup just doesn't come into it this season for me.

I don't go for that. They could get injured just as easily on Saturday against Charlton.

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I'm absolutely not against resting key players if we've got games coming thick and fast in the league, but it's when supporters say they'd rather be out of the FA Cup that I find bizarre.

Some supporters say that Mowbray doesn't give youth a chance, but at the same time, by saying you'd prefer your own club to be out of the FA Cup than to have a replay, surely that's eliminating extra playing time in a competitive match for the younger players.

Archived