BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

1 hour ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

Any chance BT will televise this now?  Or would it be too little notice?

I would doubt it. BT have a Prem game tonight and tomorrow and the FA Cup replay coverage on Thursday. I assume the replay they are televising is on Thursday due to them showing the Prem games.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, lraC said:

Saturday afternoon, Blackburn Combination, out on the lash Saturday night and then Sunday league game on Sunday morning. Granted I was crap, but playing the same standard of player as me, so, if I can do it, so can they! :) 

Saturday morning - School or Town team.

Saturday afternoon - Youth Club Team

Sunday morning - Sunday Team.

Sunday afternoon. -  We'd play challenge games against local sides.

I loved every minute of it apart from putting wet boots on in the afternoon.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Saturday morning - School or Town team.

Saturday afternoon - Youth Club Team

Sunday morning - Sunday Team.

Sunday afternoon. -  We'd play challenge games against local sides.

I loved every minute of it apart from putting wet boots on in the afternoon.

Not to mention the kick around at break and lunchtime at school every day, when we used to kick lumps out of each other. They don't know their born today. :) 

10 minutes ago, lraC said:

Not to mention the kick around at break and lunchtime at school every day, when we used to kick lumps out of each other. They don't know their born today. :) 

I worked at one place after I'd finished playing where  the footballers on the work force used to play at dinners times on a field over the road.It was like Burnley v Rovers. Blokes who were team mates would be nearly killing each other. The management stopped it after a couple of broken ankles and a lower set of teeth through a blokes lip.

Having said that it was nothing to when I went working away at a place in Hindley Green near Wigan. They played " touch " rugby at dinner times.  Now that was rough and ready, the " touches " we're a bit too firm for my liking.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I worked at one place after I'd finished playing where  the footballers on the work force used to play at dinners times on a field over the road.It was like Burnley v Rovers. Blokes who were team mates would be nearly killing each other. The management stopped it after a couple of broken ankles and a lower set of teeth through a blokes lip.

Having said that it was nothing to when I went working away at a place in Hindley Green near Wigan. They played " touch " rugby at dinner times.  Now that was rough and ready, the " touches " we're a bit too firm for my liking.

I'm from and live in hindley green. Don't be soft :D

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm from and live in hindley green. Don't be soft :D

This was at TBA, Hindley Green. They'd a really nice sort of practice pitch near the factory. I used to watch them while I was out eating my lunch. It made me feel tired just watching them, this was in the middle of summer and they were running around in boiler suits playing rugby.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Sounds like hes going to take a strong squad, really hope not, progression and one first team injury is a bad night, I want a win of course but Charltons the important game.

Absolutely. Our league position has increased and we are now sniffing at the top. Hope TM's not having his ear bent by a certain Finance Director.

36 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

I'm quite unaware how in 2017 games are still getting postponed due to snow. Also, if you cannot provide a ground suitable for play on the day of the game, should it not be an automatic 3-0 defeat?

Well the goal difference isn't relevant in this instance but I've thought about grounds for a forfeit myself. Personally I think it would be a little embarrassing for Blackburn Rovers to take a victory that way but the club should be demanding an explanation. The club (whoever the owners are) needs to let people know in the future that it won't be messed around. Clubs should be required to keep pitch covers as well certainly at football league level.

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Every team used to play 3 games in 5 days over Easter not that long ago. I've seen Rovers play on Good Friday, Easter Saturday  and the following Tuesday.

7 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Good Friday, Easter Saturday  and Easter Monday

Yep!  In the 50s I remember we beat Leicester City 3-0 at home on the Friday, played someone else on the Saturday and went (I went with my dad and two of his mates in a car) to Filbert Street, Leicester where we lost 4-0.

Leicester were top of the league and we were 3rd. They got promoted and we didn't. Them, Luton and Leeds (all the Ls) were our rivals at that time that won promotion at our (and Liverpool's) expense. Us and Liverpool were the nearly men season after season.

Easter and Christmas every team played each other home and away. The same in early September. That was when someone sensible programmed the fixtures. I think he was a chap from Lancashire as well.

Just now, bazza said:

Yep!  In the 50s I remember we beat Leicester City 3-0 at home on the Friday, played someone else on the Saturday and went (I went with my dad and two of his mates in a car) to Filbert Street, Leicester where we lost 4-0.

Leicester were top of the league and we were 3rd. They got promoted and we didn't. Them, Luton and Leeds (all the Ls) were our rivals at that time that won promotion at our (and Liverpool's) expense. Us and Liverpool were the nearly men season after season.

Easter and Christmas every team played each other home and away. The same in early September. That was when someone sensible programmed the fixtures. I think he was a chap from Lancashire as well.

There were some funny results in those days. I remember us playing Sheffield Wed at home on Good Friday ( buses were running then ) and winning 3-0 in a canter. On the Saturday we beat West Brom 3-1 at home ( Dougie getting that famous goal ) but on the Monday I think we lost away to the same Sheffield Wed team 4-0.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There were some funny results in those days. I remember us playing Sheffield Wed at home on Good Friday ( buses were running then ) and winning 3-0 in a canter. On the Saturday we beat West Brom 3-1 at home ( Dougie getting that famous goal ) but on the Monday I think we lost away to the same Sheffield Wed team 4-0.

Talking of Sheffield Wednesday, we once went there and were losing 5-0 at half time. The match finished Wednesday 5 Rovers 4.  I remember the man on the radio reading out the result and astonishment could be heard in his voice when he called out the Rovers score.

2 hours ago, Mr. E said:

I'm quite unaware how in 2017 games are still getting postponed due to snow. Also, if you cannot provide a ground suitable for play on the day of the game, should it not be an automatic 3-0 defeat?

That punishes the poor clubs that can't afford underground heating or groundstaff/covers to help keep out the winter weather.

It was -11 in West Midlands this morning, most grounds without heating would suffer in such temperatures.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

The famous West Ham win 7-2?  Was followed a few days later with a defeat by them I seem to recall 

Tyrone Shoelaces told me I think :D I certainly wasn't in attendance. 

Just now, Gav said:

The famous West Ham win 7-2?  Was followed a few days later with a defeat by them I seem to recall 

Tyrone Shoelaces told me I think :D I certainly wasn't in attendance. 

8-2 away, 2 days  later we lost 3-1 at home. West Ham dropped Martin Peters was supposed to be marking Dougie in the home game and brought a guy in called Eddie Bovington who followed Dougie all over the pitch and just stopped us playing basically.

It was one of those games you could tell how it was going to end after 15 mins. They were up for it and we weren't. We got back into it at 2-1 after about an hour then  about 5 minutes later we just let them waltz through our defence for No 3.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

8-2 away, 2 days  later we lost 3-1 at home. West Ham dropped Martin Peters was supposed to be marking Dougie in the home game and brought a guy in called Eddie Bovington who followed Dougie all over the pitch and just stopped us playing basically.

It was one of those games you could tell how it was going to end after 15 mins. They were up for it and we weren't. We got back into it at 2-1 after about an hour then  about 5 minutes later we just let them waltz through our defence for No 3.

Some greats on display that day TS :tu:

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nope. You said 3-5-2 was the formation to play with but believe TM will play 4-2-3-1. For which you was corrected that TM preferred 3 at the back - which he did, until he couldn't get a win with that formation so reverted to type. Not that it matters anyway, it's just one of dozens of things you've been wrong for in the past. Not that being wrong is anything bad, it's just hugely frustrating to constantly read how "embarrassing, shameful and stupid" people are for being wrong (that must have been your 10th+ post on the subject) when you have been wrong so often in the past.

Said 4-2-3-1 was the right formation to play with the squad we had.

But tbh Im not interested anymore

Archived