BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ronaldo and Messi are tremendous players,  I prefer Messi because I don't like Ronaldo's attitude. One is a brilliant individual who is also a team player and one is a brilliant individual. That summed it up for me in the last Euro Final. He limped off after about 10 minutes and the rest of the Portugese team battled on without him and played out of their skins to win the title. Who comes on to pick up the trophy but Ronaldo. A real player would have said to the guy who took over the captains arm band "  You won it, you go and get the trophy. "  I'll bet my old boots that's what Bobby Moore would have done in that situation. Not Ronaldo though.

Maradona was also a brilliant individual who was a team player. I'd put him above both Messi and Ronaldo but below Pele.

People never talk about Cryuff but he was awesome on his day as was Eusebio.

Finney, Best: where would they figure?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really needs a thread of it's own so I'll keep it brief. I didn't see much of Finney but from what I did see and hear about him he was a terrific dribbler and also a team player. He could play up front or on either wing.  Like Dougie only a little bit bigger and slightly quicker.

Best could have been whatever he wanted to be. Skills wise he was up there with Messi only Best was a little bit quicker and very, very hard to disposess. If you riled him he could put a tackle in that would shake you up. When he was in the mood and he wanted it he was unstoppable. When he wasn't in the mood you wouldn't know he was playing.

i remember watching him play when he was a young lad for Northern Ireland against Scotland when Scotland were a very good team. Best played them on his own, he was really up for it and all NI had to do was give him the ball. He eventually scored the goal that won the game 1-0.

Just now, rigger said:

Beckenbauer?

Just now, rigger said:

Beckenbauer?

First time I saw him in the 1966 World Cup I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He was playing as an attacking centre midfielder then and he was carrying the ball 50 to 60 yards regularly, he was just a tremendously smooth runner with the ball and an incisive, clinical passer. Shortly after that he decided that if he dropped back into the back four he could prolong his career more than if he was still a box to box player. Smart move. He became Germany's Bobby Moore. A very intelligent player. I'd rate him the best I ever saw in the old attacking wing half role that the likes of Ronnie Clayton , Johan Neeskens etc played

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You're not listening . He's in the pack along with Cryuff, Eusebio, Ronaldo etc jostling for second place. There was only one greatest.

Played his entire career in a poor league in Brazil, then went to US for the $$$$$

Exceptional player but not as good as Diego who won the Italian league, Spanish league and World Cup.

31 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I would argue he already has. Winning a major trophy with Argentina would cement it. 

Yes can't argue with that.

Just now, Gav said:

Played his entire career in a poor league in Brazil, then went to US for the $$$$$

Exceptional player but not as good as Diego who won the Italian league, Spanish league and World Cup.

Yes can't argue with that.

Allardyce and now Pele,  you've got some footy blindspots Gav.

Pele was the best I've seen by some distance. Football's "beautiful game" was invented by the likes of Pele - he was beautiful to watch.

All the others are also-rans, though if I had to choose a 2nd best it would be Ronaldo. Yes, he's a drama queen but he's also another player who brings grace and beauty to the game - it's just something in the way he moves.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think the point Gumboots is making is if you sell your best players and replace them with inferior players it can only end in tears. As we are busy proving. This situation is entirely down to the Chicken Chokers, nobody else.

Yes that was my point. It's not the selling of good players that's the problem by itself. If money is invested in what you need to make the whole squad/team better balanced etc then it's a way for smaller clubs to survive. It's the selling of stars at your club and then squandering the money on dross that don't or can't work together/ are constantly injured/ have legs that don't work any more that brings you down. That's been the pattern under Venkys. I don't blame them for everything bad that's ever happened but they have certainly repeated a pattern that's been seen to bring relegation in the past.

3 minutes ago, Al said:

Hiding posts for no proper reason is one reason why alternative sites are formed.

The slightly off topic thread is continuing on the 'Rovers Reminiscences' thread at the top of the forum - link here: https://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php?/forums/topic/33163-rovers-reminiscences/ 

Tyrone has very kindly set it up because its confusing having a list of the all time greatest players on a thread about Crewe, which will shortly get busy. 

Lol. Came here to get ready for tonight's match and all I can see is debating over a matter which actually isn't debatable (is that a word?).

Surely we all know that Jari Litmanen is the one and only king (Sami Hyypia if you have to pick a defender). :rolleyes:

As for the topic, I just hope we rest our key players. Tomlinson and Nuts would get a nod from me.

Actually to be honest I don't give a rats arse if we win or lose tonight. We can concentrate more on these distractions when we are back where we belong.

And no, that's not Championship.

Archived