BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe - FA Cup (Again!)

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Never want to see Harper play in a blue and white shirt again. Terrible performance. Absolutely no positional sense what so ever. Never tracked his runner , never showed for the ball , never put a tackle in and looked lazy and disinterested. 

On the positive side Tomlinson had another good game and Travis should really be pushing for a start. I would start him against Charlton if the decision was mine. Graham played well and took his goal well and was unlucky with a thunderous effort that hit the bar.

We're through, bring on the tigers

Did Travis play right wing? 

Hows good was Nuttall, Tomlinson and Travis?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall we deserved the win and with a little more care with the final ball it would have been much more comfortable. That Harper lad was shocking and kicking the ball at the referee like he did should have brought him a red card. We were once again like the Curate's Egg but won and we keep the unbeaten run going.

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did Travis play right wing? 

Hows good was Nuttall, Tomlinson and Travis?

All three were very good.

Tomlinson was composed and looked confident enough on the ball. Could possibly play more forward balls but that's looking for flaws when he did a good job in the middle. Wouldn't be disappointed if he kept his place Saturday.

Travis came on and played  on the right in front of Caddis. Superb energy and work rate. Timed his tackles well and was also comfortable on the ball. Has to be put ahead of nymabe imo. Better defender and at attacking. I've seen him play quite Abit for the u23s and I just think he is alot better than nyambe

Nuttall made some good runs, some decent link up play with Graham. Slightly concerned with the amount of chances he misses although he didn't get much to work with tonight. A header early on he could possibly have hit the target with. All the tools are there for him to be a good player at this level but still needs more fine tuning before he gets ahead of Graham, Samuel and antonsson imo

Fairly decent game that we should have won at a canter. Difficult conditions in the snow that started to stick at one point, you could see the ball starting to slow. Mulgrew ran the show and Tomlinson impressed. Danny Graham also had a good game and hit an absolute thunderbolt from 30 yards out on the left that hit the bar. At one nil, there was always the chance that Crewe could have nicked one but they rarely threatened other than a header that hit the post with our keeper beaten. Our pressure in the second half should have brought another goal or two but we’re through.

Good to hear that Tomlinson played well again. Could save us a few bob in the future with Whits not looking anything like the player we were expecting him to be and Evans spending more time off the pitch than on. Sounds like we should be forgetting about Harper apart from as backup and concentrating on developing our own player now. Id be having him involved as much as possible so that he can develop and gain experience. At the end of the day, if our kids cannot cut it at this level, there aint much hope for them so Id be slowly introducing a few more when the opportunity arises.

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Never want to see Harper play in a blue and white shirt again. Terrible performance. Absolutely no positional sense what so ever. Never tracked his runner , never showed for the ball , never put a tackle in and looked lazy and disinterested. 

On the positive side Tomlinson had another good game and Travis should really be pushing for a start. I would start him against Charlton if the decision was mine. Graham played well and took his goal well and was unlucky with a thunderous effort that hit the bar.

We're through, bring on the tigers

Harper strikes me as the sort of player who's come through because of his relative size and strength. He'll be overpowering lads his own age. Once he comes up against grown men who can deal with that side of the game his limitations are there for all to see. Getting played out of position goes with the territory when you're a young player. You need to suck it up and do your best, not mooch around because it doesn't suit. I can't see any point keeping him much longer.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Harper strikes me as the sort of player who's come through because of his relative size and strength. He'll be overpowering lads his own age. Once he comes up against grown men who can deal with that side of the game his limitations are there for all to see. Getting played out of position goes with the territory when you're a young player. You need to suck it up and do your best, not mooch around because it doesn't suit. I can't see any point keeping him much longer.

Precisely why it's better to encourage better footballers and toughen them up.

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Precisely why it's better to encourage better footballers and toughen them up.

Yes, it's a massive flaw in the system that kids are brought through on physicality and athleticism before fundamental ability. We've seen it here with J-Lo and still are with Nyambe, you could put both together and still not make a player.

20 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Yes, it's a massive flaw in the system that kids are brought through on physicality and athleticism before fundamental ability. We've seen it here with J-Lo and still are with Nyambe, you could put both together and still not make a player.

I get sad every time I think of J-LO. That midfield pairing of him and Williamson under Bowyer was inexcusable. If we had Smallwood and Dack in their place, we would have went up. 

Great win. Keeps the confidence and momentum going. If we get beaten later on in the competition by a team in a higher division so be it bur we don't want to be going out to a team from a lower division at any point imo and at least the naivety of Harper and stupidity of Bennett in the first game ultimately didnt cost us and be consigned to the history books.

Really hope Tomlinson becomes an integral part of the first team and isnt instantly forgotten about again and wheeled out for Cup games or a few minutes here and there.

Sounds like we'd also be better off unearthing the gold already in our back garden in the form of our academy lads first as opposed to bringing in lads of a similar age from elsewhere.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I get sad every time I think of J-LO. That midfield pairing of him and Williamson under Bowyer was inexcusable. If we had Smallwood and Dack in their place, we would have went up. 

Nah. Don't you know it was all that pesky Jordan Rhodes' fault for not holding the ball up well enough?

:huh: ;)

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or Judge who was struggling to make the bench at the time 

• J*B unpinned this topic

I used to think Mowbray was one of those managers who wouldn't bring on the youth. Now I've changed my mind. I think he will bring them on, but slowly. We all ranted and raved about Joe Nuttall when Mowbray was saying he was one for the future. 

Well, Tony has given him his chances and we can see that he has the makings of a good striker but needs to develop further. TM is sensibly alternating the strikers Graham, Samuel and Nuttall.

He has also tried Wharton, Travis and Tomlinson. They are not the finished articles but they will be slowly but surely under TM.  I just like the way things are going at the club at the moment youth-wise, under 23-wise and first team-wise.:brfc:

6 hours ago, bazza said:

I used to think Mowbray was one of those managers who wouldn't bring on the youth. Now I've changed my mind. I think he will bring them on, but slowly. We all ranted and raved about Joe Nuttall when Mowbray was saying he was one for the future. 

Well, Tony has given him his chances and we can see that he has the makings of a good striker but needs to develop further. TM is sensibly alternating the strikers Graham, Samuel and Nuttall.

He has also tried Wharton, Travis and Tomlinson. They are not the finished articles but they will be slowly but surely under TM.  I just like the way things are going at the club at the moment youth-wise, under 23-wise and first team-wise.:brfc:

Again. Nuttall being promoted to the first team was the catalyst for our sudden run of form.

But surely all of the names contributing to a winning team is the aim? If there’s one thing to give credit to Mowbray for, it’s the team ethos. No individual is bigger than the team.

23 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Roversea's Match Preview:

I'm not criticising this guy but what has he got on you? Its bad enough you keep on saying things like the superb or the excellent roverseas, but now you even post him on the previous games thread? Something dodgy going on.

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Again. Nuttall being promoted to the first team was the catalyst for our sudden run of form.

But surely all of the names contributing to a winning team is the aim? If there’s one thing to give credit to Mowbray for, it’s the team ethos. No individual is bigger than the team.

I'd say Dack coming into good form was as important to the team. Charlie playing more like the player we know is also crucial.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd say Dack coming into good form was as important to the team. Charlie playing more like the player we know is also crucial.

Yea, the idea that one players inclusion was a catalyst to our improvement is ridiculous.

The catalysts of our improvement are the bedding in of new players, a solid tactical foundation and an improvement in fitness and effort.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd say Dack coming into good form was as important to the team. 

And him becoming an automatic starter. It was only a couple of months ago, mid-October and over two months into the season, that we went to Oldham with both Dack and Chapman on the bench. No wonder we produced the performance we did that day!

Thankfully there's been a massive improvement since then.

Archived