speeeeeeedie

World Cup 2018

As the draw has been made for the World Cup in Russia next summer I'll start a separate thread for it.

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Not a bad draw for England. Belgium are a good side but a lot of their players play in England so they'll know all about them.

Couldn't have asked for much better!

No real group of death in this World Cup. Maybe D, E, and F have some balanced teams.

Can't wait now. If Rovers get promoted, that'll make it all the sweeter.

Panama Tunisia and Belgium that isn’t bad at all. Perhaps we’ll get out of the group this time as 2nd.

Surley can’t be worse than 2014 but I’m sure the class of 2018 will find a way to anger and disappoint in equal measures. 

England have had a pretty decent run of drawing/playing crap sides now particularly in the qualifiers. 

But I’m not sure it’s necessarily the best thing for England as when we eventually come across a top side even Iceland, as we’ve been used to beating lemons we struggle to make the step up. With the friendlies vs Germany, Brazil, Italy and Holland at least it seems we are preparing more suitably than Ecuador and Honduras before 2014 if memory serves. 

I think England does well; Southgate tampers down expectations.

Finally, an England team that really has nothing to do with the past, with Sven, Fabio, etc. etc.

I say Argentina and Croatia to advance out of group D, not Iceland or Nigeria. Pretty tough group really.

Final 8 at least for England, Quarterfinals, I think the much maligned Southgate has the perfect attitude.

It also really looks like Germany will win again, 2nd pick is Spain.  Belgium is good if they can get over their inexperience on the big stage.

Edited by Audax

1 hour ago, Audax said:

I say Argentina and Croatia to advance out of group D, not Iceland or Nigeria. Pretty tough group really.

This group will be the most interesting, but perhaps I'm biased towards Croatia :D Looking at those teams, you'd maybe expect those two to advance through the group, but look more closely, and it's really anyone's guess.

Argentina - Only a couple of points away from not qualifying, and had some bizarre results to say the least.

Croatia - Should really have topped their qualifying group, but came second to Iceland (also in Group D), who they both beat and lost to.

Iceland - Topped their qualifying group, which included the likes of Croatia and Turkey, so yet again, not be underestimated!

Nigeria - Squashed their qualifying group, which included the likes of Cameroon and Algeria.

Edited by Phil T
  • Like 1

I would of loved a group with Argentina, Iceland and Australia. Always nice to beat the Aussies, revenge against iceland and guaranteed to be fired up and a good test against a beatable Argentina, another team I love beating for all the obvious reasons . Still happy with the draw and we should progress. 

• Like 1

We'll lose to Belgium, and narrowly beat Tunisia, and scrape through vs Panama in the tax-evasion derby.

Then lose to an average side in the first knock ot game on penalties.

I see even Southgate is playing down our chances, should have stuck with Sam.

• Like 1

Charlie Austin must surely be pushing for a spot in the England World Cup squad, if he keeps up this form. 6 goals from 4 starts and 10 sub appearances so far this season. If he gets more starts for Southampton, I'd expect his goal tally to be up there at the end of the season. One of the most underrated strikers in the Premier League. Even if he is an ex-Dingle.

Shouldn't Croatia and Iceland have been kept apart?? Bizarre situation that they could lose out in the group stage to a team that they outqualified...

England - if Hart is first choice then something is very wrong.

3 minutes ago, klc_2012 said:

Shouldn't Croatia and Iceland have been kept apart?? Bizarre situation that they could lose out in the group stage to a team that they outqualified...

England - if Hart is first choice then something is very wrong.

I hadn't thought about that. The only stipulation was only 2 European teams in each group. They must not think that it's needed.

I think Moyes has done England a favour. He dropped Hart yesterday. Adrian kept a clean sheet. Hopefully Hart doesn't get back in and Southgate leaves him at home.

23 hours ago, philipl said:

Never mind the stadium, would you go to Yekaterinburg???

It is only 1,890 km east of Moscow.

As my last name is not Romanov, I'd be OK. Mind you, I don't think I'd fit in if I went to Russia. 

On 15/12/2017 at 14:48, philipl said:

Never mind the stadium, would you go to Yekaterinburg???

It is only 1,890 km east of Moscow.

I wouldn't go if England played in Lostock Hall and they hand delivered a free ticket.

I see Calvert-Lewin will potentially be in the next England squad. Southgates dishing out caps to anyone, Calvert Lewins not even a starter for Everton. 

I'm sure nice places exist in Russia, but there's no chance I'd be going anywhere near there at the moment.