BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

32 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Wanted a manager who picked on form and not reputation. Leaving out Wilshere goes along with that. Hasn’t done much all year and didn’t make the recent friendlies because of injury. I think it’s time to move on. 

If we don’t make it out of the group, not picking Wilshere won’t be the reason.

Please can you then explain the inclusions of:

Livermore - Stood out as especially poor in a terrible West Brom side.

Lallana - Been injured most of the season

Delph - Been injured most of the season and when hes played, its been at left back

Welbeck - Has been poor all season

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Delph - Been injured most of the season and when hes played, its been at left back

My guess is they are players he had when he was u21 boss and trusts them?

I would take Lallana,Yeah been injured but he wouldn't be in the squad if he wasn't fit he is quality and can make something happen coming off the bench if he had been fit all season he would be a starter in my opinion.The other 3 i agree with you 

Just now, islander200 said:

I would take Lallana,Yeah been injured but he wouldn't be in the squad if he wasn't fit he is quality and can make something happen coming off the bench if he had been fit all season he would be a starter in my opinion.The other 3 i agree with you 

I would also take Lallana, was more directed at the point about form. Sadly we dont have the depth to only pick players who are regulars, even Rashford doesnt play very often, but with players like Livermore, he just lacks ability.

9 minutes ago, Raya4espania said:

England have no 'Superstar' to let us down again. I'm quite optimistic.

Surely Harry Kane, a 30 goal a season striker, is one of the best individuals who will be at the tournament?

57 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Here is the Mirror's predicted squad;

GOALKEEPERS Pickford, Butland, Pope

DEFENDERS Trippier, Walker, Stones, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Young

MIDFIELDERS Dier, Henderson, Delph, Livermore, Lallana, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Sterling, Lingard

ATTACKERS Kane, Vardy Rashford, Welbeck

It's very similar my effort from a few days ago with the only changes being Jones for Tarkowski, and Young for Bertrand.

Contentious names seems to be Delph and Livermore in, Shelvey and Wilshere out.

Wilshere has had potential for years but never fulfilled it, and I don't think that Shelvey was ever getting a look in.

England doesn't have the best defence. It needs protecting so Wilshere is being sacrificed for Livermore. Kane, Sterling, Vardy, Rashford, Lingard, Lallana, and Alli are capable to causing problems for any team.

Agree on the attacking options, but Livermore isnt an effective shield anyway, plus we need to get a grip of the midfield, and Wilshire is our best central midfielder in terms of ball retention, him and Henderson would be best in terms of getting the ball into our dangerous attackers.

The tactics Southgate tries to play focus on ball retention, playing it out from the back, Jake Livermore is not capable of keeping the ball.

Shame Milner couldnt be coaxed back either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Livermore!! Jesus wept hope that’s wrong. How deep is this barrel we’re scraping. He could be a sizeable nail in the coffin of my interest in this World Cup. 

England isn't blessed with talent at the mo. If Southgate goes with Livermore it's because he thinks he's worth a spot. I doubt that he'll play much though.

For comparison here's Germany's provisional squad; Germany Provisional squad. They will be hard to beat, although if Neuer and Boateng aren't fit they won't be as solid.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I can’t. But it doesn’t mean Wilshere should go.

Livermore has played games at least. The others are all risks. Always rated Lallana but he’s barely had a kick this season.

Wilshere has had chances in an England shirt and underwhelmed. That plus his injury record is enough for me. I’d take a gamble on Loftus Cheek over him.

One that requires good ball retention? Seemingly not a priority to Southgate.

I think its more soak up pressure and counter attack. Pace is the key to this england side I think.

Edited by Raya4espania

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-ace-fabian-delph-12540946

If theres any truth in this, then Gareth Southgate is an even bigger fool than I thought.

To have Jake Livermore anywhere near the squad is a joke, the only reason Wilshires absence can be justified is injury, which not only would be false as he has played pkenty in the second half of the season, but hes picking a player in Delph who is injured even more and when he does play, its at left back!

Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Welbeck are all lucky to be in too.

Hopefully thats a false squad and the real one has Wilshire in, and Livermore nowhere near, for a start. The choices in central midfield are frightening.

Every game Delph has played this season I have watched it and I am delighted he's been called up. He's been fantastic in every game and have no worries he will do a job anywhere he is asked to play

Loftus cheek and shelvey would be my shout. Especially shelvey. I cannot see why he isn't in that squad with ease. His range of passing is superb and another option to ping balls over to vardy or spray balls wide to the pacey lads on the wings would cause real damage to teams. Livermore is a joke. What he has done to warrant a place is beyond me

Gareth southgate has to pick the players that suit how he wants to play. That is not always the best individual players in the country. We went down that road in the past, fitting in players like Gerrard and lampard together, when it clearly didn't work. I believe southgate is picking the best players for the TEAM.

You know, yes, southgate was poor with lesser quality players at boro, but international management is completely different. He may well have it right at this level.

Edited by Raya4espania
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I truly believe Southgate will become a great England manager. I predict semi finals in the World Cup and winners of Euro 2020.

I don't predict anything other than the players giving a better account of themselves than they have in recent tournaments.

• Like 1

Before I start I’ll add the caveat England are capable of losing to anyone (eg Iceland).

But I would like to think England will beat both Tunisia and Panama. In which case in my opinion the game vs Belgium becomes a dead rubber because we will face either Columbia or Poland (or worse) in the next round much of amuchness. Won’t be putting my house on it but would like to think we beat either of those. But after that it’s Germany or Brazil and goodnight. If even get that far.

Let’s hope better get out of the group this time. 

• Like 1