10. Luka modric

6. Lionel messi

2. Neymar

1. Antoine griezman

13. Sadio mane

17  Simon ???

18. I Roman ??

12. Eden hazard

I’ll post the answers in a couple of days, you’ve got 8 right so far!

46 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'd have Sterling playing wide, and coming off the wing if he plays. He's not a forward of any kind so using his pace to create confusion amongst defenders about who to close down would be good.

I’d just have him playing same position as he has all season at City who’ve just won the league breaking a few records on the way. 

21 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The England football team were visiting children at a Russian orphanage today.

"It was heartbreaking to see their sad faces with no hope," said Vladimir aged 6.

" Private Eye"  had it best with it's front page at the last World Cup. The England team are filing down the staircase onto the Tarmac. The pilot has opened the cockpit window and he's saying - " Shall I keep the engines running lads ? "

• Like 1

I'm not particularly interested in England's chances (preferably they won't win it) but there are times I wonder why they agree to represent England in first place. People say they have no chance, dismiss their general abilities, etc when this squad is less talented than some previous examples through no real fault of their own. Considering some of the abuse they might as well just stick to representing their clubs and say sod it to anybody else. Of course they have a chance of winning in a knockout tournament. You have been around long enough to know that Jim and many younger fans will still remember Euro 2004. Compared to that England winning the tournament wouldn't be a complete anomoly. Quite an obvious statement really but some people seem to forget it's not a League competition. Even if they did win it does that mean Southgate is a great manager or the squad is the best England has had? Of course not. It's not as useless as some people make it out to be though.

Edited by Vinjay17

6 minutes ago, Audax said:

Group A.

First game Russia vs. Saudi Arabia,

Uruguay and Egypt are the other teams in the group. It doesn't look for certain like Russia would advance but they usually give the host some breaks.

And here is the demeaning of the World Cup startin. Russia is the second lowest ranked team in the world at this cup and we are meant to get excited about them playing. Pffft...not for me. Rigged WC and probably a rigged draw to boot.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Who do people see as potential dark horses?

On paper, can see Germany, England, Belgium, Argentina, France, Spain, Uruguay/Portugal and Brazil getting to the quarter finals if thats possible but youd presume 1 or 2 might not top their group or whatever and a shock caused somewhere along the way.

Croatia, Denmark and Colombia all have good squads with talented players like Modric, Eriksen and James so wouldnt be surprised to see one of them at least get to the quarters.

Beyond that, can see Senegal getting out of their group, with Mane, Koulibaly, Kouyate, Gueye and Keita Balde they have some useful players in what looks a fairly even group.

Also, think Serbia have the potential to pip Switzerland in their group, Milinkovic-Savic has the potential to be one of the young stars of the tournament and they have plenty of quality in Matic, Mitrovic, Tadic, Ljajic, Ivanovic and Kolarov.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Who do people see as potential dark horses?

On paper, can see Germany, England, Belgium, Argentina, France, Spain, Uruguay/Portugal and Brazil getting to the quarter finals if thats possible but youd presume 1 or 2 might not top their group or whatever and a shock caused somewhere along the way.

Croatia, Denmark and Colombia all have good squads with talented players like Modric, Eriksen and James so wouldnt be surprised to see one of them at least get to the quarters.

Beyond that, can see Senegal getting out of their group, with Mane, Koulibaly, Kouyate, Gueye and Keita Balde they have some useful players in what looks a fairly even group.

Also, think Serbia have the potential to pip Switzerland in their group, Milinkovic-Savic has the potential to be one of the young stars of the tournament and they have plenty of quality in Matic, Mitrovic, Tadic, Ljajic, Ivanovic and Kolarov.

Hard to look past Brazil to win the World Cup. Everything seems to be aligned for them to win it and they have tremendous depth throughout. 

I feel like at least one of France, Spain and Germany will falter this tournament, so wouldn’t be surprised to see either England, Uruguay or Colombia make the semis in their place. 

Not expecting a lot from Argentina or Portugal. Belgium easily have one of the best teams on paper and could go all the way but they will meet Brazil in the quarters I think. I’d put my money on the team winning that match going on to win the whole thing.

For the rest, there are some that could definitely make the quarterfinals at the expense of the bigger teams but I doubt they could go any further.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miker said:

Hard to look past Brazil to win the World Cup. Everything seems to be aligned for them to win it and they have tremendous depth throughout. 

I feel like at least one of France, Spain and Germany will falter this tournament, so wouldn’t be surprised to see either England, Uruguay or Colombia make the semis in their place. 

Not expecting a lot from Argentina or Portugal. Belgium easily have one of the best teams on paper and could go all the way but they will meet Brazil in the quarters I think. I’d put my money on the team winning that match going on to win the whole thing.

For the rest, there are some that could definitely make the quarterfinals at the expense of the bigger teams but I doubt they could go any further.

Only thing I can see that might hurt the Brazilians is the climate, other than that I think they will walk it.

Tipping France to have a shocker, Spain to do just ok and Germany to once again start slowly and get better as they progress.

England, if we can get out of the group you just never know.

Bizarre news coming out of Spain suggest that Lopetegui is being sacked following his announcement as the new Real Madrid coach. That’s going to be Spain’s chances over if that’s the case.

Don’t really get it with this guy though. Has he done anything in his career to justify getting such top jobs as Spain and Real Madrid?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miker said:

Agreed on Uruguay. They have a centre back pairing in Godin and Gimenez and strike pairing in Suarez and Cavani that are as good as any team and some handy players in between, Torreira and Bentacur.

Belgium going forward are as good as anyone but their undoing could be their manager. Why they appointed Martinez I have no idea. They also have Carrasco at wing back whose a winger playing in China, and if Kompany doesnt recover theres going to be a weakness there.

Spain and Germany dont have a Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo but a well balanced team with quality everywhere and tournament experience and know how. Seems the former are in disarray with the manager potentially leaving though. Im not 100% convinced by Germany, they looked poor the other day when I watched them, im still baffled theyve left Sane at home but they will no doubt turn up once the opening game comes around.

France have possibly the most exciting squad, their main doubts are temperament and whether Deschamps is up to it. Brazil are rightfully favourites.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on Uruguay. They have a centre back pairing in Godin and Gimenez and strike pairing in Suarez and Cavani that are as good as any team and some handy players in between, Torreira and Bentacur.

Belgium going forward are as good as anyone but their undoing could be their manager. Why they appointed Martinez I have no idea. They also have Carrasco at wing back whose a winger playing in China, and if Kompany doesnt recover theres going to be a weakness there.

Spain and Germany dont have a Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo but a well balanced team with quality everywhere and tournament experience and know how. Seems the former are in disarray with the manager potentially leaving though. Im not 100% convinced by Germany, they looked poor the other day when I watched them, im still baffled theyve left Sane at home but they will no doubt turn up once the opening game comes around.

France have possibly the most exciting squad, their main doubts are temperament and whether Deschamps is up to it. Brazil are rightfully favourites.

I fancy a France v Brazil final to be the most likely scenario. They have a very strong team as well.

Is Martinez really that bad? He won the FA Cup with a pretty mediocre Wigan side didn’t he? 

Just now, JHRover said:

Spain have sacked their manager, Lopetegui, 1 day before the World Cup begins after he took the Real Madrid job. He never lost a game as Spain manager in 2 years incharge.

Well for the life of me can't see what good that will do. Why didn't they just let him get on with it until the tournament finishes and bring someone else in even buying time to draw up a shortlist. No good can from this only disharmonising the squad. Think there's more to come from this story

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Spain have sacked their manager, Lopetegui, 1 day before the World Cup begins after he took the Real Madrid job. He never lost a game as Spain manager in 2 years incharge.

I suggest that shows who are the dominant force in Spanish football, a Government sponsored Club who operate in a separate world of finance and tax concessions ably supported by UEFA/FIFA and not the National side.

Strangely though it may galvanise the non RM players within the Spanish team but marginalise the demi-Gods such as Ronaldo and the fascist thug Ramos.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Edited by AllRoverAsia