BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

'United 2026' has won the right to host the 2026 World Cup, split between USA, Mexico and Canada.

It will be the biggest World Cup in history with 48 teams, 3 host nations and 80 matches.

Seems ludicrous to me, I thought they had abolished joint bids after Japan/Korea in 2002. Spreading it over a full continent seems extreme, particularly for travelling supporters but who cares about them. Clearly money talks as ever with FIFA. This is effectively a US dominated World Cup given the small number of venues in Canada and Mexico. Its only 20 odd years since the USA last hosted the World Cup.

The alternative was Morocco, which might not stand out as a great destination for a World Cup but they've put loads of effort into their bid and in my opinion would be more appropriate than a combined 3 nation continental bid.

• Like 1

We havnt hosted the World Cup in 50+ years despite inventing the sport and having one of the best leagues in the world and countless stadiums that could host the matches. Yet America, a country that does not even enjoy the sport much, basically gets it again despite having it 20 years ago.

I know we werent in the running this time but we were for this one and certainly deserved to get it above Russia - corruption at its best from Russia and FIFA.

• Like 6

Just now, JacknOry said:

We havnt hosted the World Cup in 50+ years despite inventing the sport and having one of the best leagues in the world and countless stadiums that could host the matches. Yet America, a country that does not even enjoy the sport much, basically gets it again despite having it 20 years ago.

I know we werent in the running this time but we were for this one and certainly deserved to get it above Russia - corruption at its best from Russia and FIFA.

They're making a point by avoiding having it in the traditional European nations - assuming you don't count the vast expanses of Russia as a traditional European nation - by the time 2030 comes round it will be 24 years at least since Germany hosted the tournament.

The rule of thumb was always that a European nation hosted it every other tournament. To make some sort of point FIFA have moved away from that with their increasingly strange/sinister selection of host nations. USA 1994 was the start of it - then Japan/Korea in 02 - at least those nations had the infrastructure to do it although the joint-bid was something they clearly said they weren't going to do again in future (until the dollars from the 2026 bid reached the table). South Africa was another political statement open to only African nations although again SA had most of the infrastructure in place and capability to do it and it seemed to work reasonably well. Then Russia and Qatar were as dodgy as can be. My money is on China for 2030, the money they are throwing around FIFA will be all over it and will be quite happy to legitimise a Communist regime with appalling human rights because they've got the money.

• Like 3

I think America is still seen by FIFA as an untapped market and if they could push 'soccer' and raise its profile it could be a real money spinner. I would imagine Canada is a similar but smaller version of this. 

And of course there are always the brown envelopes.

• Like 1

Others beat me to it, but Spain sacking their manager is crazy. The under 21 manager is stepping in for now. 

As for the North American bid, thre was no competition, despite Trump's threats about voting against it. 1994 was a good move, as was Japan and Korea in 2002. However, like JHRover said, China would probably bid in 2030, and goodness knows when a mainstream European country will host it again. I hope we don't bid as it would be a waste of money.

Seems a bit pointless including Mexico in the bid. They're very different to Canada/US, they've hosted the World Cup on their own before, are a strong footballing nation, culturally and economically very different to the others. Possibly it is just the usual attitude of everything has to be bigger and therefore better than elsewhere.

I can see the attraction of the US and Canada joining forces as they are quite similar and football is still developing there, and they link up in various sports.

Canada and Mexico are going to be very much junior partners in this with the US running it and hosting the vast majority of games including all the latter stages.

2 hours ago, GiantRover said:

Emoji quiz answers (don't look if you are still doing it)

WC quiz.docx

No idea why this link doesn’t work,  cut and pasted below. 

1. Antoine Griezman
2. Neymar
3.Andreas Iniesta
4. Christians Ronaldo 
5. Tony Kroos 
6. Lionel Messi
7. Harry Kane
8. Paul Pogba
9. Mo Salah
10. Lula Modric
11. David Silva
12. Eden Hazard
13. Sadio Mane
14. Christian Eriksen 
15. Keisuke Honda
16. Ricardo Queresma
17. Mesut Ozil
18. Robert Lewandowski
19. Tim Cahill
20. Angel Di Maria
21. Thibaut  Courtois
22. Louis Suarez
23. Gylfi Sigurdsson
24. Ilkay Gundogun

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Seems a bit pointless including Mexico in the bid. They're very different to Canada/US, they've hosted the World Cup on their own before, are a strong footballing nation, culturally and economically very different to the others. Possibly it is just the usual attitude of everything has to be bigger and therefore better than elsewhere.

I can see the attraction of the US and Canada joining forces as they are quite similar and football is still developing there, and they link up in various sports.

Canada and Mexico are going to be very much junior partners in this with the US running it and hosting the vast majority of games including all the latter stages.

Bit of header tennis over "The Wall"?

• Like 1

As a US resident I am very happy that North America has won the 2026 bid.

The USA will host 60 games, Canada and Mexico 10 each. FIFA will make a king's ransom off a USA based tournament, probably why it won.

England deserves another chance to have a World Cup. Cheating and bribery were the reasons behind the 2018 loss as England's bid was the strongest. 

Spain's mess gives people another reason not to like Real Madrid.

Presumably there will be 3 places for each of the hosts, all from Concacaf confederation. It’ll be interesting to see how FIFA decide which confederation loses qualifying spots. Fifa probably gave it to the US to make sure they are in the WC in 2026, not that most yanks know they aren’t even in it this time, or care. 

I believe that Morocco would have been a more authentic World Cup. A single host rather than 3 countries is preferable. Having multiple hosts takes away some of the prestige and novelty of a single nation hosting the event, a formula that has worked since day one. Morocco a much smaller country is easier to travel around for fans than jetting over the North American continent, Morocco is well located on Europe's doorstep all in one time zone.

Then there's the 'advantage' of them being in Africa which FIFA are keen on.

For a relatively small country like Morocco the prestige of hosting the World Cup would be massive and really put them on the map.

Is it going to benefit the US? They already have superb stadia and facilities, and have already had a recent World Cup, along with many other major sporting events.

Problem with Morocco is the big shiny stadiums would be useless white elephants. I can't see Fez filling a 60,000 seater stadium every week. And the transport network is probably a bit rough. The USA etc. already  has the stadiums and has closed many schools and other public facilities to afford them. In fact, sport stadiums are what Canada and the USA are great at doing.

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

.... and Mexico will have had it 3 (yes 3) times since we hosted it in 1966.

Anyone except England is Fifa's motto. I'm resigned to the fact it'll never be here again in my lifetime

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

We've sold fewer tickets than Peru and I've yet to see a St George's flag on a car. The Allardyce effect. 

I’ve seen a few tbh. Might want to get out of Bank Top. (Perhaps not the worst life advice, as it goes...)

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

.... and Mexico will have had it 3 (yes 3) times since we hosted it in 1966.

Anyone except England is Fifa's motto. I'm resigned to the fact it'll never be here again in my lifetime

I was born in 78' so I would just like to see one here at all. 

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

the fascist thug Ramos.

That's a bit over the top.

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

Hierro takes charge of Spain

You mean the ex Bolton Wanderers centre back?

My dark horse, almost black TBH, is Egypt. I'm looking forward to watching them play.