BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

10 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Well for the life of me can't see what good that will do. Why didn't they just let him get on with it until the tournament finishes and bring someone else in even buying time to draw up a shortlist. No good can from this only disharmonising the squad. Think there's more to come from this story

Why didn’t he wait to announce going to Madrid until after the WC? Why didn’t Madrid?

Should they have representation in this year's final, two club teams could break the record for having players in 10 consecutive world cup finals. Name the teams. If you get the teams, bonus points for every player named going back to 1982.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, J*B said:

Should they have representation in this year's final, two club teams could break the record for having players in 10 consecutive world cup finals. Name the teams. If you get the teams, bonus points for every player named going back to 1982.

A lot of 'Germany' finals, so probably Bayern Munich is one. Real Madrid the other?

1982 had Rummenigge, Breitner, Dremmler for Bayern, probably others. Real had Stielike (West Germany).

1986, Bayern had Rummenigge (West Germany). Real had Valdano (Argie).

1990, Bayern had Augenthaler (West Germany), Real had Ruggeri (Argie)

1994, Bayern had Jorginho (Brazil), Real had OH BOLLOCKS I SPENT AGES LOOKING, AT LEAST I GOT BAYERN RIGHT!

1998, Real had Ronaldo and Carlos (Brazil), Bayern had Lizarazu (France).

2002, Real had Ronaldo (Brazil), Bayern had Kahn (Germany)

2006, Bayern had Ribery (France). Real had Zidane (France).

2010, Real had Ramos etc (Spain), Bayern had Robben (Holland).

2014, Real had DiMaria (Argie), Bayern had Neuer and others (Germany).

Must surely be Juventus then?

Edited by Mike E

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

A lot of 'Germany' finals, so probably Bayern Munich is one. Real Madrid the other?

1982 had Rummenigge, Breitner, Dremmler for Bayern, probably others. Real had Stielike (West Germany).

1994, Bayern had Jorginho (Brazil), Real had OH BOLLOCKS I SPENT AGES LOOKING, AT LEAST I GOT BAYERN RIGHT!

Real isn't right!

Something else I thought of that is a bit farcical is that I assume the USA, Canada and Mexico are now automatically in the World Cup without qualifying.

Brain fart, lets do a UK and Republic of Ireland joint bid - at least we will all take part for once.

Edited by JacknOry

I learned today that it is the Adidas people who pick the player of the tournament and have done for a while. I think it's a disgrace. If it's a choice between Messi and Ronaldo and ones sponsored by Adidas and ones sponsored by Nike bias is going to come into play. Adidas will want the world's best player in there kit and it isn't hard to do if your company picks the winner. Another farce

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-officials-wear-full-kit-12696712.amp#ampshare=https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-officials-wear-full-kit-12696712

Rìdiculous that Collina is making the VAR's sit in a studio in their full kit. Collina was a great referee but this decision is embarrassing.

Just now, arbitro said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-officials-wear-full-kit-12696712.amp#ampshare=https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-officials-wear-full-kit-12696712

Rìdiculous that Collina is making the VAR's sit in a studio in their full kit. Collina was a great referee but this decision is embarrassing.

and in a suprise move (not) more chances to use VAR and more chance for the sponsor to be given airtime

Edited by perthblue02

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Internazionale (/Inter Milan):

82: Some Italians

86: Rimenigge (W Germany)

90: Matthäus + Klinsmann (W Germany)

94: Berti (Italy)

98: Ronaldo (Brazil)

02: Ronaldo (Brazil)

06: Materazzi (It)

10: Sneijder (Netherlands)

14: Palacio, Campagnaro, Álvares (Argentina)

Edit: Took some brain and google work, I'll tell you that. I even thought Napoli for a while because of Maradona.

Edited by Joar

The role of linesman is being diluted even further. Now being instructed to not raise their flag for close call offsides and instead pass the buck to 'VAR' to make the decision.

So short of giving the obvious and easy decisions is there actually that much need for a linesman any more? Technology can supposedly do his job on the tough decisions.

Might as well get rid of them altogether.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Good point - I never thought of that. 

Think we will see a lot of decisions referred to VAR that will not be necessary in this World Cup $$$$$

Whats the odds on compulsory water breaks at 22.30 and 67.30 minutes of a minimum length of 6  x 30 second tv commercials in time for the 2026 World cup ?

Edited by perthblue02

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The role of linesman is being diluted even further. Now being instructed to not raise their flag for close call offsides and instead pass the buck to 'VAR' to make the decision.

So short of giving the obvious and easy decisions is there actually that much need for a linesman any more? Technology can supposedly do his job on the tough decisions.

Might as well get rid of them altogether.

Their role has been diminished to such a degree they now have very few responsibilities and even less accountability. Just after I retired assistants were instructed to give the benefit of any doubt to the attacking team as the authorities wanted more goals. It was the perfect excuse for them to hide behind when they got one wrong and as an assessor (as I was at the time) I had to support this even though I knew some of the assistants would tell me they were only following instructions.

I asked if the authorities wanted goals then why was the benefit of doubt given to attacking teams when there was doubt in the referees mind at penalty kick situations. They were in fact instructed not to give them if they weren't certain.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Joar said:

Internazionale (/Inter Milan):

82: Some Italians

86: Rimenigge (W Germany)

90: Matthäus + Klinsmann (W Germany)

94: Berti (Italy)

98: Ronaldo (Brazil)

02: Ronaldo (Brazil)

06: Materazzi (It)

10: Sneijder (Netherlands)

14: Palacio, Campagnaro, Álvares (Argentina)

Edit: Took some brain and google work, I'll tell you that. I even thought Napoli for a while because of Maradona.

But those 86 and 90 aren't Inter players, they're Bayern. I tried juventus and got stuck at either the 90 final. Amazing how many top teams are so well represented!

Edited by Mike E