BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

But those 86 and 90 aren't Inter players, they're Bayern. I tried juventus and got stuck at either the 90 final. Amazing how many top teams are so well represented!

As far as I can figure, Rumenigge joined Inter in 1984 from Bayern, and left in 1987, Lothar Mättheus joined Inter in 1988 and left in 1992, and Klinsmann was at Inter from 1989 to 1992.

Edit: Karl-Heinz Rumenigge that is. Looks like Bayern had another Rumenigge as well :D

Edit 2: both Rumenigge and Mättheus played for Bayern when in the previous final though (Rumenigge 1982, Mättheus 1986)

Edited by Joar

Just now, Mike E said:

We both got it eventually ?

I both love and hate conundrums like that!

Tbh Inter was quite far down the list of suspects in my eyes. Eventually I got to thinking that it had to be an Italian team. Two reasons for that: The money was in Italy in the 80s and 90s. Italy was represented in 3 of the finals since 1982, and Italians don't in general trend to play abroad (at least to a lesser degree than the other finalists). Also your Juve idea added to that thinking

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You need to be avoiding Colombia next round. I couldn't see you beating them 

Colombia are a very handy side, but I think you'd still have to make England favourites on paper (I know that's been said before about 100 times!).

Route to the quarters looks very manageable. After that...  

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Colombia are a very handy side, but I think you'd still have to make England favourites on paper (I know that's been said before about 100 times!).

Route to the quarters looks very manageable. After that...  

Ya, you have definitely got a very favorable run to the quarters 

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Joar said:

I both love and hate conundrums like that!

Tbh Inter was quite far down the list of suspects in my eyes. Eventually I got to thinking that it had to be an Italian team. Two reasons for that: The money was in Italy in the 80s and 90s. Italy was represented in 3 of the finals since 1982, and Italians don't in general trend to play abroad (at least to a lesser degree than the other finalists). Also your Juve idea added to that thinking

Inter wouldn't have occurred to me til after checking Real, Barca, Juventus, and Milan ?

6 hours ago, Joar said:

Internazionale (/Inter Milan):

82: Some Italians

86: Rimenigge (W Germany)

90: Matthäus + Klinsmann (W Germany)

94: Berti (Italy)

98: Ronaldo (Brazil)

02: Ronaldo (Brazil)

06: Materazzi (It)

10: Sneijder (Netherlands)

14: Palacio, Campagnaro, Álvares (Argentina)

Edit: Took some brain and google work, I'll tell you that. I even thought Napoli for a while because of Maradona.

Well done, although googling is cheating!

Just now, J*B said:

Well done, although googling is cheating!

Off course it's cheating, I'm too young to know the 80s teams! :D

Was thinking Napoli, and then realised I didn't know any players other than Maradona playing for them pre 1994 :D

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'll wait whilst have seen us play a competive game. I've seen us talk a good game and then roll over when the whistle goes too often.

You could say that about most teams there. 

I get the sense this is a very different team and manager now compare to previous teams and management teams

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You need to be avoiding Colombia next round. I couldn't see you beating them 

really? 

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

and it begins :) 

Instead of laughing, why not use your words and give some examples of Colombian players better than their English counterparts bar Falcao and James Rodriguez that Roverandout kindly offered up. 

Surely, if it was such a laughable suggestion it shouldn't be too difficult for you....

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Instead of laughing, why not use your words and give some examples of Colombian players better than their English counterparts bar Falcao and James Rodriguez that Roverandout kindly offered up. 

Surely, if it was such a laughable suggestion it shouldn't be too difficult for you....

Do you moderate people's non-responses now too? Or responses via the emojis? Slippery slope you are getting on there. 

I couldn't be bothered responding to the post apart from laughing. Am I not entitled to do that now? 

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you moderate people's non-responses now too? Or responses via the emojis? Slippery slope you are getting on there. 

I couldn't be bothered responding to the post apart from laughing. Am I not entitled to do that now? 

Not at all, but it just seemed to be a better idea to discuss rather than simply laugh at someone’s post. Note likely to wind people up in my view, especially when it wasn’t intended as a a joke...

56 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Kane's better than falcao so you can shorten the list to just james. You could make a case for cuadrado and possibly bacca over vardy after that I'm struggling. On paper we are superior but the game isn't played on paper otherwise France would walk the whole tournament. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Not at all, but it just seemed to be a better idea to discuss rather than simply laugh at someone’s post. Note likely to wind people up in my view, especially when it wasn’t intended as a a joke...

Leave him to it Khod.

Him, and the rest of the bitter home nations, can sit in their houses spouting crap like this for the next month:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/duff-englands-players-are-not-as-passionate-as-irelands-36985359.html

I mean FFS Damien, give your head a wobble, chatting about would players "take a bullet".

What a clown.  

• Like 1

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Italy not in this world cup. But a waste if a slot goes to the shambolic Arabia .. any one of us could slot into the Arabian side and not look out of place shocking they are in this cup for the first three matches 

The Saudis are a lot better side than many who have "graced" the World Cup in the past such as Haiti and Zaire.

There are bound to be one or two weaker sides. You Can't just hold a tournament based solely on the FIFA rankings.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Saudi Arabia are well below the average quality level. I feel bad for them, losing 5-0 to a poor Russian team is very embarrassing. You wouldn't see that kind of defending in the Conference. It could be a very painful, albeit brief, tournament for them. Once the tournament expands to 48 teams the average overall quality will dip far lower, though, which is good news for teams like Saudi Arabia. Not so much for the fans, but when has that ever been a concern for FIFA?

43 minutes ago, Silas said:

Leave him to it Khod.

Him, and the rest of the bitter home nations, can sit in their houses spouting crap like this for the next month:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/duff-englands-players-are-not-as-passionate-as-irelands-36985359.html

I mean FFS Damien, give your head a wobble, chatting about would players "take a bullet".

What a clown.  

Not bitter at all. Just find it funny some England fans are completely getting ahead of themselves, as usual. 

Saudi Arabia were poor physically and fitness wise, but at least they tried to play football. More than can be said of Ireland in qualifying and the play offs. Martin O'Neill all over. Oh well