BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

Once the tournament expands to 48 teams the average overall quality will dip far lower, though, which is good news for teams like Saudi Arabia. Not so much for the fans, but when has that ever been a concern for FIFA?

I was just saying that. It will essentially become another boring qualifying round of beating the minnow.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Saudi Arabia were poor physically and fitness wise, but at least they tried to play football. 

I thought they looked all right against Germany other night. Played some nice stuff,  and knocked it about well. 

But wow, today was garbage.

Maybe I was fooled between friendly and competitive.  Personally,  reckoned today would be 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

With some fun gambling due to commence over the next month, good to see me laser accurate as per. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silas said:

I thought they looked all right against Germany other night. Played some nice stuff,  and knocked it about well. 

Maybe I was fooled between friendly and competitive.  Personally,  reckoned today would be 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

With some fun gambling due to commence over the next month, good to see me laser accurate as per. 

Im glad it wasnt only me Silas ..i had Saudis to beat Russia ..my betting fund will be empty in a weeks time !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Silas said:

I picked the two to come out of each group. 5 euros with winnings of 2000. I am spending it already :) Picked England, so hopefully they won't let me down! 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not bitter at all. Just find it funny some England fans are completely getting ahead of themselves, as usual. 

I don't think saying that man for man we are probably better than Colombia is getting ahead of ourselves.

The problem is we are certainly better man for man than Russia and Iceland and couldn't beat them last time. For whatever reason we fail to show it in tournaments. 

In previus tournaments (between 96 to 2006) people were saying we had the best team in the tournament which was getting ahead of ourselves. Fortunately that's died down now.

32 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I don't think saying that man for man we are probably better than Colombia is getting ahead of ourselves.

The problem is we are certainly better man for man than Russia and Iceland and couldn't beat them last time. For whatever reason we fail to show it in tournaments. 

In previus tournaments (between 96 to 2006) people were saying we had the best team in the tournament which was getting ahead of ourselves. Fortunately that's died down now.

Man for man, really how much do any of you know about Colombia bar their 2-3 big name players. Come on now, be honest :) sounds like some are getting ahead of themselves to me, but best of luck to ye anyway 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Saudi Arabia has a habit of poor performances in the WC except 1994; and when they had this beauty.  About 25 years ago, . this remains their highlight from what I know and yes, they did advance and I believe were competitive.

Ahead of ourselves? These days?

It’s obvious you don’t live in England BDS, as I don’t know a single person that has any expectations these days. The ‘golden generation’ hype has long gone. However, there is support behind a largely young team.

• Like 2

I don't feel the intensity this time; but that's okay... at times, it has made me too emotional, more or less, just watching what will happen.

We have 1 match out of the way, 2 tomorrow, if it is not against forum rules and one wants to try predictions, (just look up the It's only rock and roll Rolling Stones discussion group on the web, IORR), I'd think one could still enter, just enter for free membership and then, key this code in:   544030  , they said its okay to invite people, the more the merrier. 20-25 are entered, so not many.

Website: https://worldcup.predictthefootball.com/minileague/join

Again, respectfully moderators, if this is not okay per forum rules,  please delete.

One game out of the way, so, however more are there, remember, scores are predicted as well. So Russia won, and most of the mini-league got that correct.

57 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ahead of ourselves? These days?

It’s obvious you don’t live in England BDS, as I don’t know a single person that has any expectations these days. The ‘golden generation’ hype has long gone. However, there is support behind a largely young team.

He's another slightly embittered Celt who has to define his national pride in being anti-English rather than promoting the many achievements and culture of their own country. This causes the sufferer to lose the ability to read and aural hallucinations as everything associated with England is bragging, arrogance and suchlike despite it clearly being the opposite, or merely more measured, cautious optimism.

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/fa-talks-home-nations-uk-wide-bid-host-2030-world-cup?CMP=share_btn_tw

Talk of a 'Home Nations' bid for the 2030 World Cup.

Perhaps the most interesting part is the final paragraph:

As part of the FA’s effort to improve its image on the world stage Gareth Southgate will introduce himself in the future as being from the “English FA”. The manager and other executives believe it will help remove any perception of English football as arrogant. In 2015 Glenn said the Football Association’s name was the “ultimate expression of arrogance”.

I know the FA are arrogant, but I'm not sure that's got anything to do with their name. Further erosion of the traditions of English football. Once upon a time it was THE Football League and THE Football Association, soon to be preceded by 'English' to lump it in with the rest around the world. Wouldn't really surprise me if FIFA weren't requesting this before considering a bid from the FA. Won't be long before they come up with some horrific abbreviated brand name and logo like the Football League did.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Man for man, really how much do any of you know about Colombia bar their 2-3 big name players. Come on now, be honest :) sounds like some are getting ahead of themselves to me, but best of luck to ye anyway 

To be fair, about half of their team are well known to European fans. In any case, we can get a sense of the pedigree of the squad even if we haven't seen all of them play.

D. Sanchez is quality for his age, but wouldn't be getting in our squad yet if he was English. C. Sanchez didn’t play every week for Villa when they were awful. Ospina’s a good shot stopper but an accident waiting to happen beyond that. Believe that Falcao has started scoring again now he's back at Monaco, but hardly the most competitive league in the world. Hard worker and a good finisher, not someone to be overly scared of. Rodriguez & Cuadrado are clearly good players, but England have some too (at least of the same level as Cuadrado).

England have lost to worse teams! But it's not getting ahead of ourselves to say we should be favourites to get to the quarters if this is the best that we have to play.

Watch us lose to Panama now I've said all that

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

No chance, not with Putin in charge of the tournament! Some very ominous looks going on between him and the Saudi dude every time Russia scored.

Perhaps discussing the benefits of VAR or comparing Vodka brands for the next shipment.;)

Infantile looked somewhat perplexed.

• Backroom

I was a bit surprised when I heard no world cup host nation have ever lost their opening match, including giants such as Switzerland, Sweden, Chile, the USA, South Korea, Japan and South Africa. If Qatar avoid defeat in their first match in 2022 I'm calling conspiracy and putting my tin hat on. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Russia's opening game was against an extremely poor team whose defence looked like it had been purposefully bribed to play as if drunk. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To be fair, about half of their team are well known to European fans. In any case, we can get a sense of the pedigree of the squad even if we haven't seen all of them play.

D. Sanchez is quality for his age, but wouldn't be getting in our squad yet if he was English. C. Sanchez didn’t play every week for Villa when they were awful. Ospina’s a good shot stopper but an accident waiting to happen beyond that. Believe that Falcao has started scoring again now he's back at Monaco, but hardly the most competitive league in the world. Hard worker and a good finisher, not someone to be overly scared of. Rodriguez & Cuadrado are clearly good players, but England have some too (at least of the same level as Cuadrado).

England have lost to worse teams! But it's not getting ahead of ourselves to say we should be favourites to get to the quarters if this is the best that we have to play.

Watch us lose to Panama now I've said all that

D.Sanchez would be getting in the squad.Better player than most the England defenders imo.

Just now, DE. said:

I was a bit surprised when I heard no world cup host nation have ever lost their opening match, including giants such as Switzerland, Sweden, Chile, the USA, South Korea, Japan and South Africa. If Qatar avoid defeat in their first match in 2022 I'm calling conspiracy and putting my tin hat on. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Russia's opening game was against an extremely poor team whose defence looked like it had been purposefully bribed to play as if drunk. 

Its amazing that they were drawn in their very first match to play possibly the weakest side in the tournament. Highly doubt it is a coincidence, previous cups maybe but not anything that Russia is involved in.

Edited by JacknOry

23 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its amazing that they were drawn in their very first match to play possibly the weakest side in the tournament. Highly doubt it is a coincidence, previous cups maybe but not anything that Russia is involved in.

The whole group is suspect. Could an easier group be drawn. 

12 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The whole group is suspect. Could an easier group be drawn. 

Not that an easy group. Yeah Saudi Arabia are poor and was an easy first game but Uruguay are an excellent side and I echo others who have them tipped as dark horses.Egypt arnt a bad side either and have more than just Salah.

I would say England's group is just as easy.Cant say I know much about Panama but you wouldn't expect them to be up to much.Tunisia and Egypt are similar I suppose but Tunisia don't have a player of Salah's standing.And Uruguay and Belgium are of similar quality although imo Uruguay are the better of the two

Edited by islander200

Just now, islander200 said:

Not that an easy group. Yeah Saudi Arabia are poor and was an easy first game but Uruguay are an excellent side and I echo others who have them tipped as dark horses.Egypt arnt a bad side either and have more than just Salah.

I would say England's group is just as easy.Cant say I know much about Panama but you wouldn't expect them to be up to much.Tunisia and Egypt are similar I suppose but Tunisia don't have a player of Salah's standing.And Uruguay and Belgium are of similar quality although imo Uruguay are the better of the two

Agree is not the easiest group but that first game drawn perfectly for them. I expect they know they will not get too far but wanted to generate some hype in the country with an easy first 3 points.

• Backroom

The Saudis seem to be a pretty odd team in general tbh as far as results are concerned.

image.png.a8bde197bff348c5c81837b13a552f8c.png

Narrow losses against Germany, Italy and a draw against Ukraine, plus victories over Greece and Algeria, contrasted with defeats to the likes of Oman, Iraq and Peru. Then their heaviest defeat in the last six years comes against a woefully out of form and injury-ravaged Russian side. This is not a team you'd want to put a bet on.