BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

I'd rather go for the naturally left footed Rose.

I'd go Walker right wing back, Stones, Cahill & Maguire as the back 3, with Rose on the other side.

Henderson/Dier can't really see much of a difference there.

Rest of the side picks its self I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The whole group is suspect. Could an easier group be drawn. 

They are all easy groups for the 2 that qualify.

Besides, Saudi Arabia are better than Russia according to FIFA. ?

It's no mean feat to beat a better team 5-0. When was the last time England did that at the World Cup Finals? I just have memories of us struggling past the might of Trinidad & Tobago etc.

Furthermore, when the World Cup is extended it will just mean a load more toss the minnow games that are hardly worth watching.

• Moderation Lead

I always seemed to have the idea that there were less goals at a World Cup in the main, I suppose Russia put paid to that theory.

My mate made the suggestion yesterday that the Saudi players might have been tired as it was the last day of Ramadan yesterday? Either way, I didn't think Russia would have been so much better than them.....

How can Southgate select the error strewn Everton goalkeeper Pickford over the less error strewn keeper Butland ?

Then Southgate goes and picks the error strewn Stones another ex Evertonian dummy alongside untried Maguire for a world cup game. 

Hope it comes off Gareth then there's pitching Sterling with Kane mmmm.....

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JAL said:

How can Southgate select the error strewn Everton goalkeeper Pickford over the less error strewn keeper Butland ?

Then Southgate goes and picks the error strewn Stones another ex Evertonian dummy alongside untried Maguire for a world cup game. 

Hope it comes off Gareth then there's pitching Sterling with Kane mmmm.....

He hasn't even picked the team yet, so you're basing this ramble on rumour.

Wait until Monday before slagging off the squad, eh? 

In the words of Graeme Souness: 'We've got to wee with the willy we've got'. 

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Not that an easy group. Yeah Saudi Arabia are poor and was an easy first game but Uruguay are an excellent side and I echo others who have them tipped as dark horses.Egypt arnt a bad side either and have more than just Salah.

I would say England's group is just as easy.Cant say I know much about Panama but you wouldn't expect them to be up to much.Tunisia and Egypt are similar I suppose but Tunisia don't have a player of Salah's standing.And Uruguay and Belgium are of similar quality although imo Uruguay are the better of the two

Belgium are far better than uruguay..aside from their front two i dont get the hype over them

• Moderation Lead
Just now, roverandout said:

Belgium are far better than uruguay..aside from their front two i dont get the hype over them

100%. Godin is class at the back, but other than that, man for man Belgium are way better.

Belgium's achilles heel will be in the dug out.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He hasn't even picked the team yet, so you're basing this ramble on rumour.

Wait until Monday before slagging off the squad, eh? 

In the words of Graeme Souness: 'We've got to wee with the willy we've got'. 

Why wait till Monday it's just a few points of note that I'm questioning beforehand that's all.

Edited by JAL

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, JAL said:

Why wait till Monday it's just a few points of note that I'm questioning beforehand that's all.

Because you don't even know what the team is yet, nobody does!

I wouldn't say there's much difference between any of the goalkeepers, in terms of quality tbh. Neither are spectacular, but Butland has probably made more errors of late, certainly at club level....

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Godin is one of the best centre halfs in the world?Jimenez isn't a bad player either both would walk into the England team. 

I don't agree that Belgium are a far better side at all.Its close between the two of them 

Uruguay have been terrible in the opening 45 v Egypt though

38 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Godin is one of the best centre halfs in the world?Jimenez isn't a bad player either both would walk into the England team. 

I don't agree that Belgium are a far better side at all.Its close between the two of them 

Uruguay have been terrible in the opening 45 v Egypt though

Two decent centrebacks and two world class forwards. They dont have much else. Belgium player for player are much better. England are equal to uruguay

• Backroom

Egypt manager absolutely Gary Bowyered it.

Game was there for the taking going into the last ten and they shut up shop instead of throwing Salah on. 

Deserved to lose after that 

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Two decent centrebacks and two world class forwards. They dont have much else. Belgium player for player are much better. England are equal to uruguay

On paper Belgium have the advantage but still 4 Cavani,Suarez,Godin and Gimenez would start in a combined 11.

I'm not saying there is a massive difference but from watching both play numerous times then i think Uruguay just shade it. That could be down to the management of Belgium as they should be much better than they are.

Iv not been impressed with Uruguay today but if on top form I think they would beat England.Id be hoping England would win though

Slavan Bilic has just broken the golden rule of invited pundits and made a great point about the negative effect our broadcast media has on England.

I paraphrase but: ”Why do you always show clips of England players missing penalties or John Terry crying on the pitch or Joe Hart, with music like from The Omen? The players always watch this before games” He went on to make a bigger deal about it but that was nail on the head.

We always highlight failure. It’s like we have to wallow in pity and mourning all the time. Why can’t they promote our good results or moments?

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Slavan Bilic has just broken the golden rule and made a great point about the negative effect our broadcast media has on England.

I paraphrase but: ”Why do you always show clips of England players missing penalties or John Terry crying on the pitch or Joe Hart, with music like from The Omen? The players always watch this before games” He went on to make a bigger deal about it but that was nail on the head.

We always highlight failure. It’s like we have to wallow in pity and mourning all the time. Why can’t they promote our good results or moments?

I wonder how this compares to other countries.

Apparently the Brazilian, Italian, French and Spanish press & broadcasters can be brutal at times, but I guess that it might be slightly easier to shrug off if you've got a recent history of success. 

Morocco Iran on, I'm not partial to Morocco or anything. They keep on bidding on the World Cup and they get turned down.

It sounds like Qatar greased the wheels and got the World Cup for next time. So, Morocco like UK, have been getting a sour deal.  We will see.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Because you don't even know what the team is yet, nobody does!

I wouldn't say there's much difference between any of the goalkeepers, in terms of quality tbh. Neither are spectacular, but Butland has probably made more errors of late, certainly at club level....

Reporter Sam Cunningham of the Independent newspaper following England in Russia reports on Jordan Pickford 'cocking up' in England's first training session at Spartan Zelenogorsk.

The stats show and I've seen Pickford drop bollocks on premiership pitches, far too many, to be even considered for a world cup tournament.

Pickford out !

Edited by JAL

Indeed, a fast moving game, these two teams will go on to face Portugal and Spain.

I know players have been on the ground and such, one just went out ailing but overall, often the "lower-echelon" teams play pretty clean, just my humble opinion..... and then, the traditional powers, some at least,  seem to pull more tricks. I just like the spectacle of the WC.