BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Ronaldo is one of those players who make football a "beautiful" game. It's just something in the way he moves. The best player in the world and has been for some time. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 4

Just now, Butty said:

Lighten up for once F**k me. That was the best game of football I've watched as a neutral in a long time. Ronaldo is what he is, but what he is, is a big game player and he will without doubt go down as one of the greats. We won't ever have 2 players like him and Messi playing at the same time again in our lifetime so savour it. Unbelievable Jeff

Lighten up. ? In the 1990's (not counting Maradona at that stage) there was one player who was as good as either of them. Whether you think there was another or not could still be very much open to debate. 

Someone on twitter bringing up that Messi hasn't played in the Premier League. Not sure why that should be any part of the debate for me. Messi's stayed in Spain for good reason and Ronaldo became even better after going there. I'm not interested in which has had more influence on domestic English football.

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, roverandout said:

Spains only weakness is up front..apart from costa, they are light in that position..their midfield is a class apart

I don’t know why but I took an instant dislike to Costa and I’ve never taken to him. Maybe it’s the Chelsea connection but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Ronaldo is one of those players who make football a "beautiful" game. It's just something in the way he moves. The best player in the world and has been for some time. 

Couldn’t agree more James.

And he is the epitome of professionalism. The condition he is in for his age is a testament to that.

7 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Lighten up. ? In the 1990's (not counting Maradona at that stage) there was one player who was as good as either of them. Whether you think there was another or not could still be very much open to debate. 

Someone on twitter bringing up that Messi hasn't played in the Premier League. Not sure why that should be any part of the debate for me. Messi's stayed in Spain for good reason and Ronaldo became even better after going there. I'm not interested in which has had more influence on domestic English football.

Enlighten me as to who that was? 

Genuinely interested.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I don’t know why but I took an instant dislike to Costa and I’ve never taken to him. Maybe it’s the Chelsea connection but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Couldn’t agree more James.

And he is the epitome of professionalism. The condition he is in for his age is a testament to that.

I‘ve said it before, but imagine if more players with a good amount of natural talent (even our own Bradley!) had the dedication and pure drive to dedicate every waking moment to be the absolute best footballer that they can be.

The fitness, focus and sheer will of the man makes me personally find him more entertaining than Messi - not that Messi doesn’t work hard of course, but he is such a natural phenomenon that it is a different conversation.

I remember when Ronaldo was Januzaj level when he first came through - he carved himself into football history because he wanted it more than anyone else has, ever.

Cracking game.

And I fancy him, obviously.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Enlighten me as to who that was? 

Genuinely interested.

I‘ve said it before, but imagine if more players with a good amount of natural talent (even our own Bradley!) had the dedication and pure drive to dedicate every waking moment to be the absolute best footballer that they can be.

The fitness, focus and sheer will of the man makes me personally find him more entertaining than Messi - not that Messi doesn’t work hard of course, but he is such a natural phenomenon that it is a different conversation.

I remember when Ronaldo was Januzaj level when he first came through - he carved himself into football history because he wanted it more than anyone else has, ever.

Cracking game.

And I fancy him, obviously.

...and because he played in England which for some reason seems to be a key factor with some. 

As for "who it was" I'll give you a clue. His name was rather similar to one of them. 

6 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

The fat Ronaldo in his prime before injury was for me as good as both. However, there's no comparison. These two have been breaking records and winning trophies year after year for 10 years or more. Scoring 50 goals a season! We won't ever see the like again in our lifetime, too have TWO players at the top of their game doing it year after year competing against each other on the biggest stages, like I said, it should be savoured. We all know why you really hate Ronaldo, he's ex United :lol: if he'd have played for the blue side of Manchester who we all know you've got a soft spot for then you'd be his biggest fan ;) 

• Like 3

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

...and because he played in England which for some reason seems to be a key factor with some. 

As for "who it was" I'll give you a clue. His name was rather similar to one of them. 

Ah right of course.

Good argument for him of certainly, as far as “naturals” are concerned at least.

But he never played in England though, so obviously I think he was shit.

Edited by S8 & Blue

For tomorrow's games,

France Australia

Argentina Iceland

Peru Denmark

Croatia Nigeria

Well, a good mate is from Nigeria, I've always liked the Super Eagles but I don't see Nigeria bettering Croatia.

I think Argentina will humble Iceland.

The other two, Danes Peru draw,  France besting Australia.

African teams still not over the hump yet. Without a doubt, great talent.

Edited by Audax

That was such a good game.  Yet it's quite possibly because both teams almost certainly know they will qualify as they have 2 minnows to play, so they didn't have the same 'fear of losing' that bores us to death in the majority of supposed big games.

Just now, Butty said:

The fat Ronaldo in his prime before injury was for me as good as both. However, there's no comparison. These two have been breaking records and winning trophies year after year for 10 years or more. Scoring 50 goals a season! We won't ever see the like again in our lifetime, too have TWO players at the top of their game doing it year after year competing against each other on the biggest stages, like I said, it should be savoured. We all know why you really hate Ronaldo, he's ex United :lol: if he'd have played for the blue side of Manchester who we all know you've got a soft spot for then you'd be his biggest fan ;) 

I don't particularly like Sterling and I don't like Delph. Granted neither of them are as good but that's not the point. I still like Yaya even if he's been a bit silly playing the race card and all. As for the other players I like those the "older" ones more than the "newer" ones which kind of reflects the way my interest has gone. I certainly preferred Mancini over Pellegrini (nothing against Pellegrini as such but Mancini was a great personality and I completely lost interest after he left) and even Guardiola though obviously most would argue the latter is a better coach. I would rather have Aguero in my team than Messi or Ronaldo as well. Like I've said certain players bring success no matter what. So what if he hasn't won the CL it's a knockout tournament.  

Ex United or not my points about his egotism are accurate. If you want to be paranoid perhaps I'll suggest it's because he's ex-United why some people prefer him over Messi? Or perhaps I won't because it's baseless paranoia...right?

As for "fat" Ronaldo (how anyone can mock him on such grounds when Dunn played here is laughable) yeah before his injury he certainly was. Worked pretty damn hard too getting back to the level he did after suffering so many injury issues. Shame that never gets pointed out.

Edited by Vinjay17

On 26/03/2018 at 09:41, jim mk2 said:

Could someone define "world class" because it seems to me everyone's favourite player is "world class" ? 

Ronaldo 51st hattrick, the world cups 51st hat trick, ...............

Would he get in a "World" squad of 18? 

I think he would. Based on current (last 12 months) form.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

I don't particularly like Sterling and I don't like Delph. Granted neither of them are as good but that's not the point. I still like Yaya even if he's been a bit silly playing the race card and all. I would rather have Aguero in my team than Messi or Ronaldo as well. Like I've said certain players bring success no matter what. So what if he hasn't won the CL it's a knockout tournament.  

Ex United or not my points about his egotism are accurate. If you want to be paranoid perhaps I'll suggest it's because he's ex-United why some people prefer him over Messi? Or perhaps I won't because it's baseless paranoia...right?

Well, yes.

It is.

And you can have Aguero if I can have Messi or Ronaldo... I fancy me chances.

Edited by S8 & Blue

In that single match Ronaldo has done more at international level than Messi has. Messi is a fantastic player, one of the best of all time but he doesnt seem to be able to carry Argentina in the same way that Ronaldo does Portugal. Like him or hate him - this guy is special. He has a major international win already and Messi doesnt.

In years gone by this will be the same debate as Pele vs Maradonna.

Just now, JacknOry said:

In that single match Ronaldo has done more at international level than Messi has. Messi is a fantastic player, one of the best of all time but he doesnt seem to be able to carry Argentina in the same way that Ronaldo does Portugal. Like him or hate him - this guy is special. He has a major international win already and Messi doesnt.

Oh yeah because Maradona did nothing at international level. Seems like someone is still crying over a hand incident. I remember Chaddy and others complaining about it when he was linked as manager here but he's not even old enough to remember it (and neither am I). Pele's international teammates were better overall as well. People say Maradona carried Argentina in 1986 not sure Pele really had to do that (though I daresay he could have) for any of his World Cup wins.

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, JacknOry said:

Absolutely, Barcelona needs Messi but Messi has needed Barcelona too, they have had a system that draws out that talent, Ronaldo has been a playmaker, helped Portugal win the Euro, if one wants to say he dragged them all up singlehandedly to do that. So, in a way, 2 different types of players.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Oh yeah because Maradona did nothing at international level. Seems like someone is still crying over a hand incident. I remember Chaddy and others complaining about it when he was linked as manager here but he's not even old enough to remember it (and neither am I). Pele's international teammates were better overall as well. People say Maradona carried Argentina in 1986 not sure Pele really had to do that (though I daresay he could have) 

huh?

I said this will be debated in the same way as them - how am I crying over a hand incident?

You do go off on tangents.

Edited by JacknOry

Pele's great, Maradona are, again, I'd almost think it is too difficult to compare but one thing is for sure, Pele always had some other stellar talent around him.

Brazil had Jairzinho, Rivellino. The classic Brazil teams, even from 2002 and 1994 had a lot of talented stars, so-called expert writers often say Maradona again, dragged that whole team up.

22 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

It’s a good point. Messi is a lesser player simply because he hasn’t done it for more than one club.

I am of the opinion that whilst not every great player has won the World Cup and equally you don't have to be a great player to win the World Cup , the greatest players have won the World Cup, that's why , Imo Pele Maradona and Zidane will always trump Cruyff Platini Ronaldo and Messi etc

4 minutes ago, AJW said:

I am of the opinion that whilst not every great player has won the World Cup and equally you don't have to be a great player to win the World Cup , the greatest players have won the World Cup, that's why , Imo Pele Maradona and Zidane will always trump Cruyff Platini Ronaldo and Messi etc

Overrated player and I won't even bother getting started on my opinion of him as an executive.

OK maybe I'm letting my contempt get in the way (to be honest I've not seen enough footage to declare him overrated) 

Edited by Vinjay17