BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

28 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

I don't particularly like Sterling and I don't like Delph. Granted neither of them are as good but that's not the point. I still like Yaya even if he's been a bit silly playing the race card and all. As for the other players I like those the "older" ones more than the "newer" ones which kind of reflects the way my interest has gone. I certainly preferred Mancini over Pellegrini (nothing against Pellegrini as such but Mancini was a great personality and I completely lost interest after he left) and even Guardiola though obviously most would argue the latter is a better coach. I would rather have Aguero in my team than Messi or Ronaldo as well. Like I've said certain players bring success no matter what. So what if he hasn't won the CL it's a knockout tournament.  

Ex United or not my points about his egotism are accurate. If you want to be paranoid perhaps I'll suggest it's because he's ex-United why some people prefer him over Messi? Or perhaps I won't because it's baseless paranoia...right?

As for "fat" Ronaldo (how anyone can mock him on such grounds when Dunn played here is laughable) yeah before his injury he certainly was. Worked pretty damn hard too getting back to the level he did after suffering so many injury issues. Shame that never gets pointed out.

Waffle waffle waffle. The sentence I've just highlighted means this debate is over. How you can say that is just beyond comprehension:lol: 

• Like 2

Just now, Butty said:

Waffle waffle waffle. The sentence I've just highlighted means this debate is over. How you can say that is just beyond comprehension:lol: 

Because I like him more as a person (Messi can be a bit of a prick at times albeit nowhere near Ronaldo level) and he still wins things. Pretty sure if you asked on Blue Moon whether they would rather have Ronaldo would say exactly same as I have. Cantona won more than Shearer would you rather have had him? ?

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Overrated player and I won't even bother getting started on my opinion of him as an executive.

You can't have seem much of Platini to say that. He was every bit as good as Zidane in his day.

Regarding the best - Pele is head and shoulders above all the rest. Maradona is probably next in line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

When spain play like this theres no point in anyone else turning up...how can england ever compete with a technically brilliant team like spain?

It makes one wonder if anyone could be the manager. I mean, that Bolton lad took over a few days ago and seems to have more of a clue than managers that have been there for years.

Look at Southgate for example, he still doesn't know his best team - it would seemingly make little difference whether he was appointed one and a half years ago or one and a half days ago.

Just now, Husky said:

It makes one wonder if anyone could be the manager. I mean, that Bolton lad took over a few days ago and seems to have more of a clue than managers that have been there for years.

Look at Southgate for example, he still doesn't know his best team - it would seemingly make little difference whether he was appointed one and a half years ago or one and a half days ago.

That bolton lad lol...you make him sound like someone whos just come off the street in bolton and flown over..'oh aye..lets play tha game lads..c'mon keep that ball reet well' 

• Like 1

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Because I like him more as a person (Messi can be a bit of a prick at times albeit nowhere near Ronaldo level) and he still wins things. Pretty sure if you asked on Blue Moon whether they would rather have Ronaldo would say exactly same as I have. Cantona won more than Shearer would you rather have had him? 

I like my mate Dan who would score 50 a season for us in Sunday league when we were kids I wouldn't choose him in my team over Ronaldo or Messi because I like him more. We were debating how good these two players are and you throw in that you'd take Aguero in your side because you like him more? How's that relevant? Whatever you think of them as people is irrelevant you'd take either of them in your team over Aguero. Aguero is a great player, but again it underlines how good Messi and Ronaldo are when the world wouldn't even put Aguero in the same league as them. And Cantona over Shearer? Why would I think that? Give me a break. Nobody could match Shearers goalscoring record when he was here. I never said winning more trophies meant you were a better player. But Ronaldo and Messi win everything and are the best players for their galactic teams in the process. Stop waffling now Vinjay because I'm latching on to it myself now and it's too much effort on a Friday night. :lol: 

Then you have the great teams, together everyone achieves more....

'66 England, ''74 Germany yes, with the Kaiser and the last 3 World Cup champions, Germany, Spain and Italy, maybe there is someone you might pick out of the Spanish team but still, none of the names like Pele and Maradona and Zidane,

21 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Because I like him more as a person (Messi can be a bit of a prick at times albeit nowhere near Ronaldo level) and he still wins things. Pretty sure if you asked on Blue Moon whether they would rather have Ronaldo would say exactly same as I have. Cantona won more than Shearer would you rather have had him? ?

I CAN’T HELP BUT BITE SOMEONE STOP ME RONALDO AND MESSI DON’T WIN THINGS NO MORE

7 minutes ago, Audax said:

Then you have the great teams, together everyone achieves more....

'66 England, ''74 Germany yes, with the Kaiser and the last 3 World Cup champions, Germany, Spain and Italy, maybe there is someone you might pick out of the Spanish team but still, none of the names like Pele and Maradona and Zidane,

They aren't attacking players and goal scorers like those 3 but Xavi & Iniesta at their peak were world class (Iniesta in fact still is) & as good anyone that I have ever seen in that central midfield position.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Watching Spain it was terrifying how much talent they have. Absolutely unbelievable. And theyre probably the third best team at the tournament. 

Who are the top two?

1 hour ago, AJW said:

I am of the opinion that whilst not every great player has won the World Cup and equally you don't have to be a great player to win the World Cup , the greatest players have won the World Cup, that's why , Imo Pele Maradona and Zidane will always trump Cruyff Platini Ronaldo and Messi etc

I can't see the logic in this line of argument though. If Pele, Maradona, or Zidane had come from Azerbaijan, do you think they would have lifted a World Cup? They would have been the exact same player. I fail to see how any player's career comes down to whether his TEAM managed to win one, very infrequently held tournament. It certainly helps, especially if they've been the driving force in such a win, but it isn't the be all and end all.

I used to have what I feel was a very similar argument with my Arsenal-supporting friends. They reckoned Lehmann was a far better goalkeeper than Friedel, because of what he had won and how Friedel had won nothing. Would you agree with them? Perhaps you would, but at that time, with Lehmann dropping gaffs despite having less shots against him than Friedel, I thought they were mad to not want Friedel instead.

David May won far more medals than Colin Hendry. Who was the better defender? You can never boil everything down to just trophies, because it's a team sport.

• Like 3

Spain is the 2nd favourite to win the World Cup; so to play that way against them... incredible.  I don't know of many players that could have done that. And yes, in the past, there have been jokes of Cristiano going missing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

After 3 successive World Cup's that have been poor, the early signs are that this one is could be a classic.

It has been very entertaining so far. Already several fantastic goals scored that could easily be contenders for goal of the tournament. 

I was a bit disappointed with Uruguay, they struggled to break down a very resolute Egyptian defence and their midfield was largely ineffective. If Salah was on the pitch, you feel the result would have been very different.

I was surprised that Morocco lost as well. There was a lot of talk about them being the surprise package of the tournament due to their playmaker Ziyech being in the team, but they lost against the weakest team in the group. Can’t imagine them getting much off Portugal or Spain now.

I'm not going to judge Iran as being the weakest team in group A; they seemed to have the better of the action.

Anyway, I love the international game period, for the last few world cups, I have often gone to this forum and read what it's participants say about Iran of I think I remember, they call them Team Melli:   http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?46-Persian-Football-Discussion-Community

These people are primarily those who fled Iran I think, but they still love their national team. Some posters use profanity, so a disclaimer on that but they are passionate about their team but after today's Portugal/Spain game, you've got to figure, Spain and Portugal both should comfortably go on to the next round.

That said, upsets happen. Look at Iceland last time in the Euro, you don't expect it but somewhere we are bound to see one. Next match, France and Australia? Maybe a draw? Could happen. Things have changed, France for a few World Cups were slow out of the gate but I think Les Bleus will win.

Edited by Audax

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I can't see the logic in this line of argument though. If Pele, Maradona, or Zidane had come from Azerbaijan, do you think they would have lifted a World Cup? They would have been the exact same player. I fail to see how any player's career comes down to whether his TEAM managed to win one, very infrequently held tournament. It certainly helps, especially if they've been the driving force in such a win, but it isn't the be all and end all.

I used to have what I feel was a very similar argument with my Arsenal-supporting friends. They reckoned Lehmann was a far better goalkeeper than Friedel, because of what he had won and how Friedel had won nothing. Would you agree with them? Perhaps you would, but at that time, with Lehmann dropping gaffs despite having less shots against him than Friedel, I thought they were mad to not want Friedel instead.

David May won far more medals than Colin Hendry. Who was the better defender? You can never boil everything down to just trophies, because it's a team sport.

I am talking about the greatest ever players with respect I don't think Freidel May or Hendry comes anywhere near the equation , but I take your point about a players nationality  and you are correct they never would have won it butif any of these 3 had played for Azerbaijan then I would bet. Huge some of money they would have least qualified  , look if it comes down to seperating the greats from the greatest there must be some common denominator and for me it's winning the ultimate prize in football . There have been some great players never to have won a World Cup , some great players have never even played at a World Cup , the opposite side to that is that some bang average players have won the World Cup , if Argentina or Portugal win the World Cup than Messi or Ronaldo will be in that very top bracket , until they do they are in the same group as the likes of Best Cryuff etc

Edited by AJW