BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

• Backroom

Regardless of whether the defender got a touch I felt it was a penalty. The touch hadn't taken it away from the attacker and he still would have been through had he not been taken out. 

A poor game from a French perspective though. They'll need to be a lot better going forward. 

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

But what is the defender supposed to do on the second contact? In my opinion that contact is virtually unavoidable and a consequence of sliding in to get a touch on the ball. I also think several angles showed the ball deviate slightly as the defender gets a slight touch.

Either way I think most would say it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the referee in real time.

If you can’t get to the ball without bringing the player down the the tackle isn’t on, sorry. I know you are a referee but this isn’t the game anymore. It’s actually more concerning that there are referees who still feel this is acceptable because it will lead to inconsistencies on the pitch.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought the Costa incident was a foul. He jumped into his opponent leading with his elbow.

I thought that was more of a foul than the one given for the penalty today but interestingly the VAR didn't advise the referee to review it. 

Just now, arbitro said:

I thought that was more of a foul than the one given for the penalty today but interestingly the VAR didn't advise the referee to review it. 

I thought they checked and dismissed it.

I can’t understand why Umtiti’s deliberate handball wasn’t a yellow - and nobody even mentioned it!

Just now, Stuart said:

If you can’t get to the ball without bringing the player down the the tackle isn’t on, sorry. I know you are a referee but this isn’t the game anymore. It’s actually more concerning that there are referees who still feel this is acceptable because it will lead to inconsistencies on the pitch.

But he touched the ball first. Once you have touched the ball when making a sliding tackle then almost inevitably will be contact. That isn't bringing a player down Stuart, football still has to have an element of physical contact. The incident today falls into the unavoidable contact category in my opinion. 

Just now, Stuart said:

I thought they checked and dismissed it.

I can’t understand why Umtiti’s deliberate handball wasn’t a yellow - and nobody even mentioned it!

It was checked in the studio but not referred to the referee to view pitch side. The VAR felt it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

I agree on the deliberate handball. I called it a yellow card straight away.

Yes, Iceland making a game of it versus mighty Argentina....I flipped flopped on my predictions, figuring, heck, it's Argentina after all.  Who'd imagine Iceland would continue their little run and with 20% possession only? And Iceland apparently, a man down.... but now back to XI.

Edited by Audax

In the box, that Iceland player didn't get any ball on that vs. the Argentine and the Argentine went down,  it almost seemed like the ref made a diving hand sign...to the Argentine. Play on. None of the announcers are mentioning it much. Must have been okay.

Edited by Audax

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The VAR felt it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Is there a human involved at some point?

I was wondering if perhaps that Russian Cat was making the decisions according to whether it prefers Whiskas or Sheba.

Netherlands, Italy missing the World Cup,  Argentina Iceland drawing. To me,   there are definitely shifts going on in international football, in the end, one of the recognizable names may win the whole thing but changes nonetheless..... England lost to Iceland, now Argentina draws them.

Messi has just done the exact opposite of his La Liga antagonist from last night. Missed a pen and then fluffed a free kick at the death.

I do think that Ronaldo is a true pro who works exceptionally hard and feels he has earned the plaudits, relishing the pressure that success brings, and believing he will succeed, whereas Messi is a supremely naturally gifted footballer who looks uncomfortable when the pressure and spotlight is on him. Could he carry Argentina in the way Ronaldo carries Portugal? I doubt it. Totally different psyche.

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

Messi has just done the exact opposite of his La Liga antagonist from last night. Missed a pen and then fluffed a free kick at the death.

I do think that Ronaldo is a true pro who works exceptionally hard and feels he has earned the plaudits, relishing the pressure that success brings, and believing he will succeed, whereas Messi is a supremely naturally gifted footballer who looks uncomfortable when the pressure and spotlight is on him. Could he carry Argentina in the way Ronaldo carries Portugal? I doubt it. Totally different psyche.

I think it ultimately shows that Ronaldo is a far better player than Messi.

I also think it highlights how poor La Liga is. Yes Ronaldo is playing there currently, but he’s performed it in the Premier League too.  

I think it shows how Barcelona's vast talent helps Messi so much while here,  Iceland were able to break down the attack pretty effectively.  Man, on our online game, I went to pick a tie than thought, maybe Argentina is a lot better and changed it. I see in late March, Spain defeated Argentina 6-1 in a friendly FWIW. Guy from Norway, scored a lot of points picking Iceland to draw, sort of a homer pick for him I guess.  Looks like Iceland's recent friendlies didn't reflect well on them either.

Edited by Audax

• Backroom

Argentina are so weak outside of their attacking options. It's little wonder they're struggling internationally these days. Iceland showing again that they have some serious belief and don't get overawed by reputations. Good luck to them.