BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Real Madrid had a poor league campaign, but generally this past decade, they and Barca have demolished teams repeatedly, particularly at home. Both Messi and Ronaldo have cashed in. 

And they have done in Europe as well winning 7 of the last 10 Champions Leagues between them. It not that  La Liga is a weak league it is that they are the best two teams in the world with the best two players, do you really think it would be any different if they played in the premier league?

• Like 1

Yes, because the top teams in England don’t win 10 home games a season 4/5/6/7 nil.

Europe shows that Barca and Real are top teams and Messi/Ronaldo are two of the greatest of all time, however I don’t see how folk can argue that their scoring records are not skewed by the bottom half clubs that roll up to the Nou Camp and get slaughtered year in year out.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

And they have done in Europe as well winning 7 of the last 10 Champions Leagues between them. It not that  La Liga is a weak league it is that they are the best two teams in the world with the best two players, do you really think it would be any different if they played in the premier league?

Don;t forget Sevilla and Atletico seem to have done pretty well in 'that other European competition' in recent times.

5 minutes ago, Husky said:

Don;t forget Sevilla and Atletico seem to have done pretty well in 'that other European competition' in recent times.

Not just the Europa league but the Champions League as well Athletico 2 finals and a semi final in the last 5 seasons & Sevilla who finished 7th in Spain this year  knocked the 2nd placed team in England out

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes, because the top teams in England don’t win 10 home games a season 4/5/6/7 nil.

Europe shows that Barca and Real are top teams and Messi/Ronaldo are two of the greatest of all time, however I don’t see how folk can argue that their scoring records are not skewed by the bottom half clubs that roll up to the Nou Camp and get slaughtered year in year out.

To be fair, City won 5-0, 6-0, 5-0, 7-2, 4-0, 4-0, 5-1 and 5-0 last season.

At least you are putting them together. I dont understand the argument being aimed only at Messi. Ronaldo scored 4, 5, 9, 17, 31 and 18 in his time at United. In the 9 seasons hes had in La Liga, hes never scored less than 25, yet people seem to use the fact that he played in England to suggest that he was/would be equally effective here, something that hasnt been stastically proven.

Early 2000s, Valencia was very good too and vying for the Champions League and they won some La Liga titles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spanish_football_champions

As soon as Maradona got into La Liga back in the early '80s, it is famous that some player broke his leg. So, that made it sound rough.

There's no way, I'd underestimate the Spanish league, if it is weaker top to bottom, I doubt if it is that much weaker, just a little bit.

I suggested Serbia before as an underdog, they have a really nice balance to their side. Matic and Milojevic brilliant in the engine room, Mitrovic needs to be more clinical but his link-up with the star of the team, Milinkovic-Savic was absolutely terrific, and the 2 wide men were a threat too, Tadic far more influential for his country. Experienced in defence too, only problem is Stojkovic in the net.

Really enjoyed watching them.

One could also say, this World Cup has been good for the countries of the Former Yugoslavia (Croatia, Serbia) and the Scandinavian countries (Denmark, I"m not sure if Iceland is officially Scandinavian, they lean that way).

Africa countries then, are 0-3. Morocco, Nigeria, Egypt.

Asia, Iran played and won.  The Saudis were embarassed.

CONCACAF, Costa Rica lost.

CONMEBOL, we have Argentina drawing, Peru losing.

I may be missing some, yes, the European teams all seem to be winning.

Iceland wins 1-1 versus Argentina... that joke has made the rounds.

Edited by Audax

Suddenly struck me after arriving at the local World Cup village (out door boozer and big screen) after the Serbian goal was scored that I have seen bits of every game live thus far but not seen a single goal scored live yet.

I am not planning to watch all of England v Tunisia live you will be relieved to know.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've always liked Peru. I think it might be the shirt, it's unique. I was watching highlights of Peru v Scotland 1978 yesterday on the Internet. What a player Teofilo Cubillas was, he scored two fantastic goals in that game. The first one was an absolute rocket into the top corner, the second was a free kick using a technique I've never seen another player use.

Yes, I've been aware of Cubillas.  For awhile, I had videos of a number of random historic football games,  there was one from the '78 World Cup, now I think it was maybe Poland Tunisia and not one of the Peru games.

They've been outrunning the Germans, Germany looks a bit stodgy at the moment....Mexico was knocking on the door quite a while, Layun kicked two free kicks over the top... I'm not sure if Germany is going to come back here.

Edited by Audax

5 hours ago, scotchrover said:

So why can’t he do it for country then, if he’s so world class? 

He single handedly got Argentina to this world cup and he got them to the last finals. There has been non stop crying on this site about the nasty sergio ramos messi has destroyed him. Diego someone's athletico have got to be the toughest team in the champions league. 

The physicality of the premier league is overstated. Its fast of that there is no doubt but 60 to 70 percent of players in a premier league game are not even British so what does it matter where the league is.

• Backroom

Great game this Mexico look good.

Oh and Messi and Ronaldo are both phenomenal players, the player of a generation, we just got two at once.

• Like 1