BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

For situations like this,  it really shows me how much that Miroslav Klose helped them, Germany could still come back... but they certainly haven't had that player who makes the big play.

Ochoa, the goalkeeper has been fantastic, Germany losing and this is all the response here?

Other teams in this group are Sweden and South Korea, so it looks like Mexico should sail through if they hang on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Husky said:

Though that 'penalty' incident just before looked more of one that the Argentina one yesterday.

Who makes the decision there to look at it? If the ref is not interested does that just mean you're screwed or can the var guys pull the ref back and say "you missed something you blind arsehole"? 

• Like 1

The Mexican coach deserves great credit for his tactics. They played terrific counter attacking football and as the game wore on defended excellently. He got his substitutions correct and left the Germans defeated and deflated.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Who makes the decision there to look at it? If the ref is not interested does that just mean you're screwed or can the var guys pull the ref back and say "you missed something you blind arsehole"? 

That's the 6 million dollar question.

The clear and obvious thing is a bit murky. Like, who exactly does it have to be clear and obvious to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Suddenly struck me after arriving at the local World Cup village (out door boozer and big screen) after the Serbian goal was scored that I have seen bits of every game live thus far but not seen a single goal scored live yet.

I am not planning to watch all of England v Tunisia live you will be relieved to know.

Mexico victory was assured the moment I decided to watch the second half...

Not too surprised by the result. Recent German performances have been pedestrian.

Mexico's run-up to the World Cup per friendlies was basically no better than Germany's. Now, I'm feeling like you can hardly get a clue from the Friendlies. I did at least, pick a draw, zero points still.

https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2018/06/17/world/world-cup/germany/mexico/2166092/

OTOH, Spain whipped Argentina 6-1 this year. That could have been an indicator though.

Edited by Audax

• Backroom

According to the BBC only one team have gone on to win the tournament after losing their first game (Spain in 2010), so Germany have given themselves a mountain to climb already. The Mexicans worked hard and Germany looked clueless as to how to break them down.

25 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Linekar and Shearer couldn’t have been more delighted at the Germany defeat. They could barely contain their excitement. Like kids on Christmas Day! :xmas:

Not quite up there with the Euro 92 final  . . but . . . .

Butcher.jpg

Just now, DE. said:

According to the BBC only one team have gone on to win the tournament after losing their first game (Spain in 2010), so Germany have given themselves a mountain to climb already. The Mexicans worked hard and Germany looked clueless as to how to break them down.

As much as it's enjoyable to see Germany losing, they are still as likely to get to the final as ever. Apparently they lost their first game in 1982 to Algeria and went on to make the final as as I've previously mentioned, their supposedly bad team also made the final in 2002

Until they are knocked out, they can't ever be discounted, dammit! ?

Spain's loss in 2010 was to Switzerland of all teams, I don't see the Swiss drawing or any better today..... they've got my respect. Maybe they can keep it close.  Still, Iceland and Mexico weren't predicted to do as well as they did.

Edited by Audax