BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

According to the BBC only one team have gone on to win the tournament after losing their first game (Spain in 2010), so Germany have given themselves a mountain to climb already. The Mexicans worked hard and Germany looked clueless as to how to break them down.

Italy lost their first game at USA 94 before making a run to the finals and technically not losing in the final as it was decided on penalties.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

And the VAR confusion goes on. Surely the Switzerland equaliser falls into the clear and obvious error category and should have been passed to the referee to review his decision.

And how about for that blatant dive in the area by Jesus? It's non stop confusion . . .

Just now, Husky said:

And how about for that blatant dive in the area by Jesus? It's non stop confusion . . .

Confusion is an apt description. There are too many grey areas as each review by the VAR is opinion and not fact. The referees will always make errors but when incidents are effectively re refereed and they still get it wrong then the overwhelming evidence is that VAR is more trouble than it is worth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Confusion is an apt description. There are too many grey areas as each review by the VAR is opinion and not fact. The referees will always make errors but when incidents are effectively re refereed and they still get it wrong then the overwhelming evidence is that VAR is more trouble than it is worth.

I know this isn't VAR but I do often wonder about the injury time too. Like sometimes they add 5 minutes on where there has seemingly been none which is also really noticeable in the extra time of the play-offs when they add 2 onto 15 etc.

Brazil got favourable home cooking last time vs. Croatia,  Croatia really got gipped big-time.

Congrats Switzerland, really nice....

I don't see as much mickey mouse officiating this time.

Edited by Audax

Just now, Husky said:

I know this isn't VAR but I do often wonder about the injury time too. Like sometimes they add 5 minutes on where there has seemingly been none which is also really noticeable in the extra time of the play-offs when they add 2 onto 15 etc.

There does seem to be more than normal added in this WC so I wonder if Collina has told the referees to be more precise.

In the laws it is called additional time. The injury time name is a real misnomer as I frequently hear people say there were no injuries, where did he get x minutes from. Additional time is an all encompassing description for injuries, cautions, substitutions, goals, time wasting etc.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Could be like the season Leicester won the league, the big boys not quite at their best meaning, hard work and organisation could see you through!

A good start for us will see the expectation rise though so just a win will do! 

Tunisia's FIFA #21; England  #13.  I would not shrug Tunisia off.  Especially with a number of these games going in screwy directions like 2 of them today.

https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2018/06/18/world/world-cup/tunisia/england/2166099/?ICID=HP_MS_01_03

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/rankings/fifa/?ICID=TN_03_05_01

It sounds like a valid point, Neymar got fouled a lot, Brazil fouled James from Colombia last time....

1998 World Cup, England defeated Tunisia 2-0,  they had a friendly as a draw.

Edited by Audax

Just now, Audax said:

Tunisia's FIFA #21; England  #13.  I would not shrug Tunisia off.  Especially with a number of these games going in screwy directions like 2 of them today.

https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2018/06/18/world/world-cup/tunisia/england/2166099/?ICID=HP_MS_01_03

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/rankings/fifa/?ICID=TN_03_05_01

It sounds like a valid point, Neymar got fouled a lot, Brazil fouled James from Colombia last time....

1998 World Cup, England defeated Tunisia 2-0,  they had a friendly as a draw.

Out of the 3 European teams that played today you'd have had Germany down as the least likely to lose.

I don’t get all the bellyaching over VAR. I’ve been quite impressed so far. We’ve stopped seeing soft penalties and diving in the box (with any intent to deceive) appears to have gone entirely.

Swiss goal analysis? In the words of the inimitable Slaven Bilic: “to be fair, I don’t really care”.

He’s the new Souness. Even made Roy Keane crack a brief smirk!

• Like 1