BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

• Backroom

That documentary was a bit of an eye-opener for me. I didn't realise just how AWFULLY successive managers had been treated by the Press in the 90s.

Nor did I realise what a @#/? Hoddle was.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

Tunisia

Have been to the World Cup,  in '78, then, '98, '02, '06 and this year.

We just saw Germany, Argentina, Brazil all have big problems. Tunisia is certainly no team to take lightly, just like Southgate was saying. I don't feel good about this at all but maybe Arg, Brazil and Germany got a little of what England have had to go through for some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia_national_football_team

Tunisia and England friendlies, for whatever those are worth, suggest a tight matchup, Spain blistered Argentina 6-1 but defeated Tunisia only 1-0? Anyway, that sounds like a good score, I'll go with England 1 0 Tunisia.

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/tunisia/tunisia/2211/

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/england/england/774/

Edited by Audax

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Didn’t see it but no sympathy for Sam, he would have been in the dugout in Russia tomorrow if not for his own greed and ego

...being set up by the national-team-hating media.

His greed and ego over 30 years got him the job in the first place.

• Like 1

World cup is looking very promising so far. The big teams seem to be tactically at odds with themselves and not gelling. The only professional unit I've seen so far have been Spain who were tremendous and only ended up drawing due to some heroics from Ronaldo.

Long way to go obviously - surely at least one of Brazil, Germany and Argentina will get their tactics sorted, while Belgium and England still to play - but nothing really to fear so far except for Ronaldo and Spain's outrageously silky midfield.

Edited by joey_big_nose

A bit to my suprise I am enjoying this WC thanks to dodgytv and youtube for later highlights.

Mainly from UK tv but also some from Sony Ten India who have a studio host who just has to be related to John Inman with a very uncomfortable looking Wes Brown as the embarassingly poor main pundit.

Also listening to the daily BBC WC podcasts and the excellent Chris Sutton. Sadly the donkey called Murphy is sometimes on, today he described himself as "a fan of Liverpool, Fulham and England", I do appreciate that.:rover:

For those who have not seen the announcement in AU

Good news for those in Aus (well for the next 48 hours anyway) who have not managed to see a full game yet on Optus due to them being crap at delivering their "every" game streaming subscription and surprised in the four year run up at the demand to watch the biggest sporting event in the world.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sbs-to-air-all-fifa-world-cup-games-for-next-48-hours-after-talks-with-optus

Edited by perthblue02

• Backroom

Rovers flop Niko Kalinic sent home for refusing to come off the bench for Croatia after sulking about not starting.

May he rot on the bench for the rest of his career, tosser.

Another VAR inconsistency in the Sweden v Korea match. A Korean defender clearly wins the ball and whilst sliding brings down the Swedish player. It was not referred to the referee by VAR but in similar circumstances France were awarded a penalty on Saturday. I didn't think neither we're but the VAR inconsistency is alarming.

• Backroom

I thought the obvious difference was that touch totally took the ball away from the attacker whereas the French one if (and it’s a big if) the defender touched the ball it didn’t change the course of it and the attacker still could have got it when he was then brought down 

Not sure there’s been a big decision wrong yet for me although I accept Arbito knows the rules far better than I 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

I thought the obvious difference was that touch totally took the ball away from the attacker whereas the French one if (and it’s a big if) the defender touched the ball it didn’t change the course of it and the attacker still could have got it when he was then brought down 

I thought the touch by the Australian (albeit a slight one) also made the ball deviate. The debate on Saturday was the contact as a consequence of making the tackle. In that respect it is the same as today. As I said I don't think either are penalties but for one to be referred as a clear and obvious error and the other not is baffling.

In my opinion there is an added pressure on the match referee when an incident has been referred to them as a clear and obvious error. Effectively he is being told that several of his colleagues, with the benefit of a multitude of angles think he is wrong. It will be a brave referee who sticks by his original decision in the face of such pressure.

Edited by arbitro

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

Swiss goal analysis? In the words of the inimitable Slaven Bilic: “to be fair, I don’t really care”.

He’s the new Souness. Even made Roy Keane crack a brief smirk!

I like to think I have a sense of humour but it was a bit of an odd thing to say for a guy who is being paid to provide analysis of incidents in the game .

I would have docked his fee.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not sure there’s been a big decision wrong yet for me although I accept Arbito knows the rules far better than I 

It still comes down to opinion Tom and that is one of the strengths of football. I thought the Switzerland goal should have been disallowed for a push but many don't. I'm more than happy to trust the referees interpretation without any interference and debate key incidents amongst ourselves. 

• Like 2

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I like to think I have a sense of humour but it was a bit of an odd thing to say for a guy who is being paid to provide analysis of incidents in the game .

I would have docked his fee.

German channel Das Erste (as with many other non English speaking broadcasters) don't waste money on pundits. News was on at half-time.

Even if you watch English language feeds in pubs etc., they normally turn music on at HT and straight after the game. Vindaloo!

• Like 1