BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

4 hours ago, DE. said:

By absence I basically meant it might as well have been turned off, as it never once corrected the ineptness of the officials. If they can't catch the two obvious fouls on Kane from last night they might as well shut it down. 

It does seem to be another thing for the betting rings to use to fix games rather than helping to stamp out that kind of stuff.

It's kind of like some 'anonymous' thing in the back ground where everyone end sup shrugging their shoulders and nobody takes responsibility.

Totally lost 'confidence' in it.

I also re watched a foreign feed of the entire match earlier and there were actually 3 blatant penalties not given. Very dodgy indeed.

Edited by Husky

• Backroom
Just now, Husky said:

It does seem to be another thing for the betting rings to use to fix games rather than helping to stamp out that kind of stuff.

It's kind of like some 'anonymous' thing in the back ground where everyone end sup shrugging their shoulders and nobody takes responsibility.

Totally lost 'confidence' in it.

I also re watched a foreign feed of the entire match earlier and there were actually 3 blatant penalties not given. Very dodgy indeed.

I can understand there being a few teething issues, and there may never be a 100% clear view of something which is deemed an "obvious error", but even a casual football viewer would have clearly been able to see that Kane was fouled twice in the box last night. It wasn't even debatable. How supposedly professional officials can't see that is beyond me. There's no excuse for this kind of incompetence anymore, and if genuinely terrible decisions like last night are made then somebody should be held accountable. 

Of course Southgate and England won't rock the boat because that's not their style, but we really should. Goal Difference could still be a decider in this group, after all, and I'd say we were robbed of at least two chances to score from the spot yesterday. Should we convert one and the game goes 2-1 then it changes everything - Tunisia have no choice but to press forward a bit and chances are we slip in behind them and finish it 3 or 4-1. Instead the officials let Tunisia get away with murder the entire match, allowing them to sit deeper and deeper and drag the game quality down to the depths with fouls, play-acting and time wasting. 

• Like 4

Good to start with a win but I thought that other than Saudi Arabia Tunisia are as poor team as I have seen, they offered nothing going forward and were all over the place at the back. Rashford has to start ahead of Sterling in the next game Sterling is a fine player for Man City but for England he offers nothing. I don't rate Lingard and don't see what he brings to any team, I would start Loftus-Cheek ahead of him as he offered the team more in 10 minutes las night than Lingard did in 90. And how on earth does Jordan Henderson captain Liverpool and start for England he offers nothing for me he is a rich man's Jason Lowe every pass side ways or backwards and always slows attacks down, I would much rather see Dier play in his place.

Just now, DE. said:

I can understand there being a few teething issues, and there may never be a 100% clear view of something which is deemed an "obvious error", but even a casual football viewer would have clearly been able to see that Kane was fouled twice in the box last night. It wasn't even debatable. How supposedly professional officials can't see that is beyond me. There's no excuse for this kind of incompetence anymore, and if genuinely terrible decisions like last night are made then somebody should be held accountable. 

Of course Southgate and England won't rock the boat because that's not their style, but we really should. Goal Difference could still be a decider in this group, after all, and I'd say we were robbed of at least two chances to score from the spot yesterday. Should we convert one and the game goes 2-1 then it changes everything - Tunisia have no choice but to press forward a bit and chances are we slip in behind them and finish it 3 or 4-1. Instead the officials let Tunisia get away with murder the entire match, allowing them to sit deeper and deeper and drag the game quality down to the depths with fouls, play-acting and time wasting. 

I believe there is a real danger here that a referee actually sees an incident but waits for the VAR to review it and advise them accordingly. The referee last nigh spoke to players pretty much before every England corner so he was aware of the potential for grappling to occur. He had a great position to see the wrestling but didn't act on it. I think VAR might put some of them in their comfort zone safe in the knowledge that their safety net of VAR will take some of the blame.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

I believe there is a real danger here that a referee actually sees an incident but waits for the VAR to review it and advise them accordingly. The referee last nigh spoke to players pretty much before every England corner so he was aware of the potential for grappling to occur. He had a great position to see the wrestling but didn't act on it. I think VAR might put some of them in their comfort zone safe in the knowledge that their safety net of VAR will take some of the blame.

It definitely seems to be that way. That wouldn't necessarily be an issue if VAR was being used properly, but if last night was anything to go by we still have a long way to go before it's anywhere close to being applied accurately. 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-06-19/world-cup-2018-var-video-referee-how-does-it-work-russia-decisions-explained/

Reading this it's impossible for me to understand how VAR was utilised (or perhaps more appropriately not utilised) last night.  

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How did Sterling miss that chance that was ruled out for the guy who passed the ball being off side ? My mum could have got that one on goal and she's in her 80's. He looked like he'd never seen a football before. How many times did he run down a blind alley and lose the ball ? 

Although from an offside pass this miss is the one that I keep coming back to.

A great move, great pass and then good anticipation by Sterling to be in the right place followed by complete brain fade and Sterling looked like someone who had never played football before. The pass screamed hit me please.

Apart from Harry our scoring attempts never recovered from that.

And then the silly sod gave a big grin.

You know, there were that many misses by England I'm finding it difficult to remember exactly which ones people are talking about.

Breaking the world cup's biggest ever win record wouldn't have been out of the question. Especially if you tag the 2-3 penalties on.

47 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Good to start with a win but I thought that other than Saudi Arabia Tunisia are as poor team as I have seen, they offered nothing going forward and were all over the place at the back. Rashford has to start ahead of Sterling in the next game Sterling is a fine player for Man City but for England he offers nothing. I don't rate Lingard and don't see what he brings to any team, I would start Loftus-Cheek ahead of him as he offered the team more in 10 minutes las night than Lingard did in 90. And how on earth does Jordan Henderson captain Liverpool and start for England he offers nothing for me he is a rich man's Jason Lowe every pass side ways or backwards and always slows attacks down, I would much rather see Dier play in his place.

Where you watching the same game as me?Henderson played some lovely foward balls last night and Lingards finishing was poor but he didn't have a bad game always looked busy and got into good positions 

• Like 2

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Entertaining game between Colombia and Japan. Colombia down to 10 men and 1-0 down after 3 minutes have just equalized on 40 mins with a really clever free kick that was drilled under a jumping wall.

Bloodi columbian cheat Falcao though, throwing himself to the floor trying to get a penalty and then backing into the Japan defender to crab the free kick that led to their goal. Japan look like a poor side, and even with the extra man I can't see them winning this.

9 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Looks like our travelling hooligans have been well and truly spooked by the Russian Ultras and their antics in France it has to be said...never seen so few England fans!

I thought it was also because England is largely an impoverished country these days and people just can't afford it.?

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

They should mic up the ref and the var official so we can hear exactly what is going on between them, as they do in the rugby. At least that way you can tell if the ref has asked the var official if he has seen any holding in the box etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Where you watching the same game as me?Henderson played some lovely foward balls last night and Lingards finishing was poor but he didn't have a bad game always looked busy and got into good positions 

Lingard runs about but that is about all he does he has no technical ability, if he did he would have scored at least 3 last night. 

Just now, Blow-in said:

They should mic up the ref and the var official so we can hear exactly what is going on between them, as they do in the rugby. At least that way you can tell if the ref has asked the var official if he has seen any holding in the box etc.

That's a good idea. Along with giving players a chance to review (cricket style).

I wonder, does the VAR have an audio feed or just the pictures on mute?

Edited by Husky

Highly politically incorrect but Colombia v Japan undoubtedly the game of the tournament.

Will have to get to the bottom of this but Malta is swamped this summer by holiday-making Japanese young women. Add that lot partying for 36 minutes to the Colombian female version of the national football strip which has more holes than shirt...

Colombia male football team look useful too- expect the ten men to win.

Also expect as we move into the second cycle of matches, Russia will not be as good and Saudi not as bad as the opening day suggested.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Lingard runs about but that is about all he does he has no technical ability, if he did he would have scored at least 3 last night. 

He had an off night in front of goal but to say he has no technical ability is nonsense.Not saying I think he's brilliant but he didn't have a bad game overall last night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agree with all that except Lingard. He was excellent in every department apart from finishing. Surely a guaranteed start for him.

I think next game Rose and Rashford both might get the nod, with Young and Sterling dropped.  Both offer more for me. Rose offers better width and counter attacking than Young, and Rashford has similar pace, trickery and ability to drop off as Sterling, but he also scores goals.

Lingard was indeed busy, but his host of missed chances unnecessarily made it a close game, hence me giving him a poor grade.

His scuffed first chance was awful. His last was a shout for Rashford to leave it, then he got the ball stuck under his feet. I do think he should start the next game though. He deserves a chance to improve. I'd do the same with Sterling too. Give him another opportunity. Dropping him won't do his confidence any good.

Conversely Kane was anonymous for large portions of the game, but scored 2, and won the game.

I read the other day - Daily Telegraph I think - that Southgate sees Rose as his starting left back but was worried about his fitness in the heat so was giving Young a chance to impress.